Notices

It Runs!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:10 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It Runs!!!!

...but still have to solve some bugs in the way.

Turbo was installed, exhaust done,WG discharge done, Charge pipes done...
Car is around 85% complete and driveable(Very conservative driving je je)

We could not wire the Resistor box cause we need the correct wiring diagram(Any help?) so we could not install the DSM injectors...which means we didnt install the ECU with Uberdata... So i am still running the stock OBDII ecu and stock injectors.Since we left the stock obdii ecu and i dont have a Missing Link the car wont pass 4k cause it sees boost and ecu is running in safe mode.

We tried to burn a chip for my stock injectors but we forgot to change the injectors pulse so the car didnt start up and we could not change that cause at that time we didnt had access to a Computer..

Bugs to solve:
1. Small exhaust leak on the Manifold flange on a corner, Small exhaust leak on the DP flange(Muffler shop forgot to put 1 bolt so its leaking a lil thru thre)

2. A lil oil drop from the oil pan..I think i overtightened it so it leaks a lil.. I have OIL quarts in the car just in case and i check the oil level everytime i am going to ride.

3. We need to wire the resistor box and the DSM injectors.
4. I need to get the fitting for the Compressor so i can connect the vacum line on the WG...Right now the WG is disconnected.Done!

5. I need to do Exhaust wrap... the temps under the hood are very very very hot..to the point where i cant even open the hood or ill get burnt.

The main turn down for me was that to be able to install this weekend i had to take the A/C out of the car.. WHICH SUCKS A LOT!!!! i hope to figure that out later so i can put my AC back in the future..its just too hot outside.

This is how it looked before doing Downpipe and dump tube.. Charge pipes not finished yet..
As you can see i had to take the A/C out..So without the AC compressor there was more than enough space so i flipped the turbo and took the Downpipe on the passenger side for a more straight design..

Here it is with the DP,Dump tube and Charge pipes finished.I am very pleased with the work the guy did at the muffler shop..the guy took his time.

Dump tube points down

Flex pipe and exhaust.

Right now there is no cat, it will be added after we install the DSM injectors and we make sure the A/F is not pig rich so we dont blow the cat.

Also the muffler is just a Dynomax 3" resonator hidden in the bumper for the "peace of mind" of cops :D

Rear view of the exhaust..Nothing that will distract or get too much attention..just a lil pipe that sticks out..

This is what it is up to now.. As you can see we had to do a lil relocation of the water/coolant can so the intake chargepipe didnt push it...

Setup:
1999 D16Y7

Block: Suzuki Vitara Pistons,Hastings rings, Eagle H beam Rods, KMS Block guard..Stock Sleeves, ARP studs

Head: D16Y7 stock head, Z6 Intake Manifold Port and matched, 60mm Throttle body.

98 EX tranny,stock pressure plate,ACT disk

Turbo Setup:
LoveFab Minime manifold "AC" compatible
T3 Super 60 (.48/.60)
Turbonetics Racegate(42mm)
Fast Turbo oil lines and fittings
3" Downpipe
3"high flow cat(Eventually after iddling first the DSM injectors)
3" Piping with Dynomax resonator as muffler
Autometer Oil Pressure,Boost and EGT gauges
450 DSM injectors(going in next week end)
Walbro 255lph hp Fuel pump
OBDIIb to OBDI jumper
P06 with Uberdata
Custom FMIC(31" X 6 X 2.75")
2.5" charge pipes
ATP turbo Silicone couplers and Tbolt clamps
Turbo XS RFL BOV

Pictures of the outside of the car later..its dirty now
Old 10-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like you took your time. Nice set up.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:46 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ELSpool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ELSpool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like you took your time. Nice set up.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Damn right..I attempted to install this like 5 times...

Wastegate line was installed last night and the WG spring right now is a 3-5 PSI so im just boosting 3PSI while we install the 450's and Uberdata next weekend..After that its 10PSI

How do i fix the Exhaust leaks? On this pic..The Manifold flange is leaking right on the lower bolt between #4 and #3 runners
Old 10-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: It Runs!!!! (fjt)

Nice setup! What are your power goals?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:55 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: It Runs!!!! (RyanCivic2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice setup! What are your power goals?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Id like around 250whp on 15PSI or less( like at 12PSI)

Honestly as long as it runs fine w/o any problems i'll be happy but deffinitelly id like more than 215whp.

for now ill have to run at 10 PSI till i get a 3 bar map sensor.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My guess is that you might be able to make more than 250whp at 15psi, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: east coast performance and tuning, jacksonville, nc

love the setup looks great, but lose the delta gate. good for low boost, but not relieable over 8-10psi. it cost me one motor in the past. 250.00 for a new wg or a new motor.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:19 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: It Runs!!!! (UJLSMoFo)

thats not the regular Delta gate(35mm)..Thats a Racegate which is a bigger gate---&gt;42mm.. so it should hold boost fine.

It is made for 900 hp applications ...lol

PPl get it confused with the Delta gate but its not the same.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:25 AM

damn, that is a really clean setup
Old 10-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.hondata.com has the resistor box install... Also, did you get injector clips? Those are wired inline before the injectors.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great, after injectors and ubderdata its time to lay down some numbers or times.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (fjt)

[QUOTE=fjt]
How do i fix the Exhaust leaks? On this pic..The Manifold flange is leaking right on the lower bolt between #4 and #3 runners
QUOTE]

Did you check the headflange on the manifold? is it flat? Did you tighten the nuts in an even pattern? is the gasket new?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

how much did you get that manifold for? looks great
Old 10-05-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbod16y7vtec)

Looks nice, check the way you tighten the exhaust nuts down. THat might be your exhaust leak there
Old 10-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redturbocivic)

Damn, looks good. What kinda manifold is it?!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: east coast performance and tuning, jacksonville, nc

thats cool, the install looks good.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did you check the headflange on the manifold? is it flat? Did you tighten the nuts in an even pattern? is the gasket new?</TD></TR></TABLE>
1. yes..the flange might be a lil bit warped due to heat when welding
2. Not sure what you mean by even pattern..I just tightened them ,turned on the car and with the manifold warm i finished tightening them as hard as i could..
3.No the gasket is not new

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbod16y7vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much did you get that manifold for? looks great</TD></TR></TABLE>
Cody at LoveFab fabricated tthis for me..The cost of this manifold is 650 cause is the AC version

I know i took out AC but i needed the car running so while i figure out how to do the right DP for A/C ill be driving Pig Hot

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks nice, check the way you tighten the exhaust nuts down. THat might be your exhaust leak there</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks ...will do..Actually i might take the DP to a machine shop so i make sure the Flange is perfectly straight.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (racinskittle)

Looks great! That's a very similar set up to what I'm going to be running

Let me know how it feels

Are you going to put an intake filter on your turbo? If so, which filter are you going to use?

I want to position my turbo with the compressor on the driver's side but I don't think I'll be able to fit a filter in there and I don't want to go too long without one...

Old 10-05-2004, 09:45 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks great! That's a very similar set up to what I'm going to be running

Let me know how it feels

Are you going to put an intake filter on your turbo? If so, which filter are you going to use?

I want to position my turbo with the compressor on the driver's side but I don't think I'll be able to fit a filter in there and I don't want to go too long without one...</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think ill just put a K&N cone filter in there..Cash is low after paying for exhaust to be done so i have to get the misc things lil by lil....

Right now i have to get temps down cause everything gets too damn hot in there..Im gonna Wrap the Downpipe and Dump tube and probably Buy those Turbine Insulation covers.. Lol if i touch the intercooler i'll get burnt...imagine how hot it gets.. Specially on our 90+ degree weather...
Old 10-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good!

Its only a matter of time before that carbon gasket blows out between the manifold and wastegate! I would just take it out.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how loud is that exhaust setup?
Old 10-05-2004, 12:16 PM

Your setup is sweet and it looks clean Update us w/ dyno #'s
Old 10-06-2004, 06:08 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gots_a_sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gots_a_sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how loud is that exhaust setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not that loud..atleast is quieter than with the HKS muffler i had..It will get quieter when i install the High flow cat.

Pic of the Front
Old 10-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good man what ic is that looks big
Old 10-06-2004, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean setup

Quick Reply: It Runs!!!!