Notices

running issue ls turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running issue ls turbo

i have an eg coupe with a fully built ls with a .63 trim turbonetics kit making a little under 400whp...heres my dilema..

okay, so ever since ive had the car, it has had an issue with after driving for a long period of time coming to a stop from high speeds the idle would drop too low and the car would stall, would start back up no problem and drive fine.

On the way to import alliance this year, we were getting off an exit and the car stalled out like it had done in the past, started it back up ran for a second idle started to drop, died again, same thing over and over. It got to the point where I had to keep it revved up past 3k and keep barely letting out of the clutch to get it to go anywhere and into a parking lot.

Long story short, i tested the main relay and i was only getting 12v to 3 of the 7 wires. So i parked my car for the weekend and road with some friends and bought a new main relay in nashville and on the way home stopped at my car and swapped it in.

After the new relay, it started right up and drove just fine for about 10 minutes, just enough time to get back onto the highway. After i got onto the highway it started to bog and have no power and keep cutting out.

Pulled over on the side of the road and was throwing a code for my TDC sensor. So i had the car towed home and bought a new distributor. After i put the new distributor in it ran just fine, once again for about 10 minutes and then the same reoccuring symptoms. Checked the check engine light again, and it was a solid check engine light, which made me think it was a fried ecu.

Pulled the ecu out, took the casing off and the circuit or capacitor or whatever (sorry not very electrically inclined) for the 2 main powers and grounds was fried and there was a lot of black ****.

Today i went and bought another socketed ECU and put my chip in it, put it in the car, it started up just fine and then after about 10 minutes of driving started to do the same exact thing again.

It starts out running fine, then after a while, it starts to cut out a little bit or feel like its missing a little, then at WOT it starts to jerk and feel like its starting to loose all power. Then it gets to the point where at full throttle, it does absolutely nothing (like the throttle body isnt opening) and every once in a while will kick in with a little power and then back to nothing.

Im pretty much stuck, the only 2 things i have it narrowed down to to check are the TPS and the map sensor.

Any other ideas? I really need to get this thing running right.
Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated, im extrememly frustrated and about to set my car on fire and push it off of a cliff, haha.

TIA
Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: running issue ls turbo

Start with the basics... have you checked fuel pressure when its trying to stall?

Do you have datalogging capability or a DMM to test TPS and MAP?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DMM i dont have datalogging capabilities, its obd1, probably should have stated that, and its tuned on EC tune with no way to hook up.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have a nice day

Last edited by vwbased; 01-27-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: have a nice day
Old 07-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would that explain the running issue though? because with the new ecu its still doing the same thing.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have a nice day

Last edited by vwbased; 01-27-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: have a nice day
Old 07-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i understand that, but my point is, it is not just an idling issue, ive delt with idling issues and the IAC before, but its running issues while driving either the throttle isnt opening or the throttle is opening and isnt getting the air / fuel mix or spark that it needs, which in turn leads me back to the MAP sensor. I ordered a new GM 3 bar map today should be in thursday, im hoping it fixes my problem.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you get re-chipped to support that map, or your car will most likely not run at all.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have a nice day

Last edited by vwbased; 01-27-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: have a nice day