Notices

routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:40 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain....

i wanted to add some squirters to my valvesprings, can anyone suggest the proper piping to use, and any products that might help me.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (GarageAlchemist)

but why
Old 02-13-2006, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (dornon13)

Yeah why, its not gonna do any good.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (Flashmn)

let him speak before you say it wont help he might have come crazy idea..
but for the record i dont see how it will help lol
Old 02-13-2006, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (GarageAlchemist)

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/...37400

About half way down this page there is a picture of a spray setup on a small block chevy.Most all of the stock car touring series use spray bars.There are lots of valve cover fabricators that do this.Give Moroso a call.They can supply you with the tubing and advice you need.
Glenn
Old 02-13-2006, 04:50 AM

http://www.theoldone.com/compo...t.htm

There ya go man check that out.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u have a good concept

and these is more of a big deal on those V8 motors due to their design

on Honda motors, u dont have to worry about that

the valve train gets sufficient lubrication specially VTEC motors, since oil is what activates the VTEC and has oil running thru the whole system
Old 02-13-2006, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u have a good concept

and these is more of a big deal on those V8 motors due to their design

on Honda motors, u dont have to worry about that

the valve train gets sufficient lubrication specially VTEC motors, since oil is what activates the VTEC and has oil running thru the whole system</TD></TR></TABLE>

And what exactly makes you qualified to make that statement?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Larry Widmer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">During the past year, we've experienced extreme rocker arm and camshaft lobe failures on a number of Honda VTEC engines running non-stock valvetrains. Exotic coatings solved the problems in most instances, however, we've found that we could eliminate a large amount of wear by simply plumbing more oil to the head with an external -6 line (in the same fashion as LS-VTEC enthusiasts have for years).

We're now equipping all the VTEC engines we build with the external line, as lengthy testing has shown that additional oil volume in the head dramatically reduces both cam and rocker wear, and it also extends valve spring life through better cooling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Somehow I put more equity into the second statement.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:05 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (Justin Jones)

well i'm running an after market valvetrain, thats going to be abused a great deal. So.. if i can spend 40$ for some lines, fittings, adapter and it can buy me a little peace of mind that my valvetrain is being helped...

im all for that
Old 02-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i'm running an after market valvetrain, thats going to be abused a great deal. So.. if i can spend 40$ for some lines, fittings, adapter and it can buy me a little peace of mind that my valvetrain is being helped...

im all for that </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but if your giving up oil pressure to spray on the springs (wtf, again why as stated above?) then you are taking oil pressure away from other places. I would much rather have the oil pressure at my connecting rod bearings since they usually are the first to go. This is why every motor I build I remove the oil squirters (if they're there).
Dont waste your time and money, the valvetrain gets enough oil pressure!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:59 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (93LSivic)

it's not like running a small hardline squirting a little oil is going to rob you of any cooling in other primary locations. You know how much oil sits on the bottom of your pan ... I also have a nice oil system as well.

I'm sure it can't hurt. I guess I'll just have to ginny pig with documentation.

ps, 93LSivic i really like your car btw, anything new with your setup ?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=GarageAlchemist]
ps, 93LSivic i really like your car btw, anything new with your setup ?[/QUOTE

Thanks. Lots of changes going on with my car right now. A little late, but it should be a very worthy competitor in sfwd/T4......I hope
Old 02-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow

try a diff forum for better repsonses
Old 02-14-2006, 03:23 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (wade)

fi is fine, what other thread would i use ?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Small Block Chevys use the spray bars for the springs since they don't get much oil up top. The VTEC B series honda however, has 3 holes in the oil rails above the cam lobes and springs. Oiling the springs isn't a problem with these motors like it is with an SBC. Providing more oil volume to the head would be a good first priority.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:22 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (k24em2)

it's a d16z6 btw, and i don't think its a major impact on the oil system.. can't image it flowing even 5% of the total distributed oil system
Old 02-14-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (k24em2)

its not a matter of how much oil you are taking from the system its about the pressure you need pressure to get into the bearings and things taking away a lil oil pressure may or may not have an ill effect but i think this would not hurt it now but hhurt it over a long period of time.which makes it hard to detect
Old 02-14-2006, 05:34 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (dornon13)

true, true
Old 02-14-2006, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but then again we rob oil pressure to give our turbos oil so i dunno
Old 02-14-2006, 06:22 AM

Endyn said it was like an lsvtec oil kit. I don't see the problem. I'm running a lsvtec turbo with the oil feed for the head and the turbo off of an oil filter adapter. I still see 25psi at idle and 80psi from 3k up.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:44 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: routing oil to the valve cover and onto the valvetrain.... (Chris22215)

well i was also gonna polish and clean up the oil pump and galleys.. so the velocity is a bit up, presure.. what not
Old 02-14-2006, 06:50 AM
BCICAN

http://www.theoldone.com/compo...t.htm &lt;--Read the second paragraph on that page.

And instead of a -6AN line, you could just run a -8AN