Notices

Ring question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ring question

Ok so i bought a CRX awhile back. I bought a B16 block, cp pistons (9.0:1), eagle rods, and some ACL race bearings. Block is getting machined right now. I plan on pushing 450hp through this motor. Later on down the road, i'm buying a gt307r turbo for it and i wanna push 18psi.

Question is, what rings do i want to use? Should i use the rings that came with the pistons or buy some aftermarket ones?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ring question

Honestly i prefer to use OEM rings. Think to yourself, many hondas have reached 200k and even 300k miles on OEM rings. So if it lasted that long to begin with, dont you want it to last that long again? Aftermarket rings are ok but you just have to watch what each are made out of. Take Total Seal rings for example, they are awesome in every aspect, but they take along time to seat properly because of there construction. After rebuilding the motor i would wait to introduce boost to it until the rings and everything are properly seated, then add the boost goodies. This way insures that other factors (such as boost) doesnt interfere with the seating of the rings. If you absolutly cant wait on installing the turbocharger then just be sure to take it easy and dont spool up the turbine to high positive pressures until everything has settled in its place. There have been many turbo motors built and started directly up with a turbo kit installed, you just have to keep your foot out of it for awhile.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I completely agree and that is exactly why i'm not going to be boosting it for about 15,000 miles after completion. I'm mainly worried about the fact that i don't plan on pushing factory hp either. I plan on pushing way above it. I also plan on pushing way above factory rpms for extended amounts of time. Are you sure that the factory oem rings will suffice?

Last edited by Danked; 01-03-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like i skimped over how much boost pressure your wanting to run. Peoples opinions differ but the rule of thumb seems to be that power breaks engines, not boost. Make enough power and whatever your weakest link is will give out. I looked around a few more forums and found one stating that over 10psi aftermarket rings should be used. i cant vouch for this because i've never built anything with that much power and boost going through it so hopefully another honda building guru chimes in that could confirm this for you. When all else fails call a shop that specializes in the area and ask away. They will be more than happy to answer your questions.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pistons you are buying should come with rings or they should have a preffered ring manufacturer.Just ask CP.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you Gas Man.
Yes siblues, the pistons i bought did come with rings but i wasn't sure whether to use those ones or not.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Over the years there have been plenty of threads on the debate of "Proper engine break-in"... Some say as long as the ring gaps are perfect you can dyno the new engine to the max the same day as start up... Others say give it 500-1500 miles before really laying into it...

The reality is once the engine is started up and ran for a few minutes a large amount of seating is done due to the filing/shaving of the new rings against the cyclinder wall... The correct etching of the cyclinder walls is necessary for a good seal...

I started and dynoed the same day of my LS/Vtec... SRP Pistons with Hastings rings, and so far so good with just 100 miles... Initial start up and base tune followed by a tune up to 10psi.
My tuner (James Evans) recommended putting 1500 miles on the motor before tuning to 20psi... Basically making sure everything is 100% and all bugs are worked out which will save money on any work they might have to do...

So my recommedation, look back through some of HT's old threads because a lot of our sponsoring engine builders have laid out a lot of knowledge for you to learn from! And to answer the OP's questions stick with CP's rings or another recommended ring! I personally like Hastings, they have been around forever with domestics and sweared by some of the flordia guys...
Old 01-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mugencrxsir1
Over the years there have been plenty of threads on the debate of "Proper engine break-in"... Some say as long as the ring gaps are perfect you can dyno the new engine to the max the same day as start up... Others say give it 500-1500 miles before really laying into it...

The reality is once the engine is started up and ran for a few minutes a large amount of seating is done due to the filing/shaving of the new rings against the cyclinder wall... The correct etching of the cyclinder walls is necessary for a good seal...

I started and dynoed the same day of my LS/Vtec... SRP Pistons with Hastings rings, and so far so good with just 100 miles... Initial start up and base tune followed by a tune up to 10psi.
My tuner (James Evans) recommended putting 1500 miles on the motor before tuning to 20psi... Basically making sure everything is 100% and all bugs are worked out which will save money on any work they might have to do...

So my recommedation, look back through some of HT's old threads because a lot of our sponsoring engine builders have laid out a lot of knowledge for you to learn from! And to answer the OP's questions stick with CP's rings or another recommended ring! I personally like Hastings, they have been around forever with domestics and sweared by some of the flordia guys...
That's what i like to hear, peoples experiences. I've noticed that a lot of people have tried using the search function, with no avail. I think it's because of the mass background on this site. I've tried searching for everything, and about 50/50 i find answers.
Thanks everyone for your comments.

EDIT: And i hear a lot of good stuff about James, although i have not met him, i would like too some day.