Is this right? (PCV question)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this right? (PCV question)

A= No longer need.
B= Hook to "D".
C= Gets one of those little filters.. OR routed with "F".
D= Hook to B.
E= Plug.
F= Route to a slash cut tube on exhaust.

Is this right?
Have I covered everything?
Any personal experiences worth mentioning?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your advice!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Is this right? (PCV question)

Or plug all of that **** and get a proper catchcan

If you are obd1 routing the crankcase gasses into the exhaust could potentially cause you to fail emissions as well as clog/destroy the converter due to oil hitting the substrate and catching on fire

Are we to assume this car is boosted?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a obd II->obd I
yes, sorry its turbo'd. I figured posting in the FI thread, and having to change them from stock locations would indicate that.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:36 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Well that metal tube is air on one side and coolant on the other. You don't need the coolant loop for the tb. That's just to heat up intake air in cold weather. Ditch it

What power are you making? Setup? Etc

It would serve a much better purpose to have a proper catch can setup as opposed to hacking up the stock ****
Old 08-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

according to estimates from here 250-280hp

I plan on using a catch can inline from PCV to exhaust.

Is there a better way?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C&F to a catch can
yes to the rest.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. and then the catch can to the exhaust right?

2. Do i need to wait til I have this system done before I tune? I had an appointment with a tuner before I ran into this... Now I have to order/fab the parts to fix this system, and I just wont have time before I go out of the country. I also have an appointment with the exhaust people in 4 days...

Could I "safely" tune, or do I need to wait?

Thanks guys
Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this Sufficient?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He meant a legitimate catch can with fittings out of your VC. The little breather is simply not enough.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NZXTInerTia
He meant a legitimate catch can with fittings out of your VC. The little breather is simply not enough.
what are you talking about?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is mine. The little breather on the back of the valve cover is simply not enough for a boosted car. It is more efficient to have breathers welded on the valve cover or in the back of the block. And they are routed to a catch can which can be drained every so often. Or it can be drained back into the oil which I don't recommend because of the gas and such mixed with it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we are using 2 completely different methods my friend. And yours is very nice, but the fittings are not necessary, and I have no breather so im not sure what your referring to, but thanks anyways tho
Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

he is right. the factory breather ports on the valve cover are indeed too small.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I completely disagree, 1. Just how much oil do you think is going to pass thru there? 2. The bigger the hose the bigger the vacuum source would have to be to create the vacuum. 3. most people just put a breather filter on the VC and run for years fine. I appreciate your opinions guys, but at the boost I'm running, I just don't agree with you. Let me ask more direct questions, Is the routing correct? Plug the IM's vacuum port? Do you see any obvious problems (besides the size of the hoses, and the lack of using fittings).

98integ... Is your pcv valve drilled out? I've heard the way your doing it is a no no.(If its drilled out especially) I guess if it works for you that's all that matters but I've heard that leaving it hooked up like that is risky if the pcv fails, it will allow boost pressure into your VC. I don't get why you did such a thorough job on your VC, but left that hooked up like stock. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks again guys
Old 09-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xesvuli420
Sorry I completely disagree, 1. Just how much oil do you think is going to pass thru there? 2. The bigger the hose the bigger the vacuum source would have to be to create the vacuum. 3. most people just put a breather filter on the VC and run for years fine. I appreciate your opinions guys, but at the boost I'm running, I just don't agree with you. Let me ask more direct questions, Is the routing correct? Plug the IM's vacuum port? Do you see any obvious problems (besides the size of the hoses, and the lack of using fittings).

98integ... Is your pcv valve drilled out? I've heard the way your doing it is a no no.(If its drilled out especially) I guess if it works for you that's all that matters but I've heard that leaving it hooked up like that is risky if the pcv fails, it will allow boost pressure into your VC. I don't get why you did such a thorough job on your VC, but left that hooked up like stock. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks again guys
No, your right the way I have it set up there is wrong. That was taking years ago when I was still building it. I have the nipple on the IM plug and the one on my VC plugged as well.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured vent the head and use stock pcv system good for 3-400 areas at least?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

No you're wrong. Smaller diameter tubing results in higher air velocity traveling through the hose thus a higher vacuum. Larger diameter tubing means lower air velocity and thus a lower vacuum

Ive seen prelude fittings suck almost 2 quarts of oil out of both block ports from the oil draining from the head I've been doing this a long time and have seen countless threads and complaints about the prelude fittings and small diameter lines sucking up oil. I've even had it happen to myself... both with stock and Endyn modified fittings

Now, if you're only venting the valve cover then oil won't be sucked up as oil is nowhere near your outlets, especially if they are behind the baffling in the head

Don't act like such an elitist ***** and take the wisdom and advice of people more skilled and experienced than you and do so greatful we decided to help out and show some thanks and I don't know, maybe take the advice and suggestions into consideration as opposed to saying no you're wrong when clearly you don't know very well what you're doing (since you're obviously asking for help) and clearly don't know what you're talking about.

And fyi large piping always equals lower velocity for a given air mass. Try this. Blow through a straw and notice how fast the air travels. Then blow through a 1" tube. While the larger tube moves more air volume, the air actually moves slower. Where as the straw moves a small air mass at a much higher velocity.

Now if there were a constant volume of air moving through both the straw and 1" pipe, the straw would have a higher vacuum at the inlet than the larger pipe.

That's why NA headers run small and stepped primaries because the velocity of the gas traveling through the manifold runner will actually create a vacuum in the cylinder bore, helping exhaust scavenging and promoting a cleaner intake charge.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No you're wrong. Smaller diameter tubing results in higher air velocity traveling through the hose thus a higher vacuum. Larger diameter tubing means lower air velocity and thus a lower vacuum

who the **** are you talking to? because if its me then you need to read a little more before you open your mouth. I didnt say the larger the hose the larger the vacuum, i said the larger the SOURCE has to be for the same vacuum. pay some ******* attention before you troll someone

Ive seen prelude fittings suck almost 2 quarts of oil out of both block ports from the oil draining from the head I've been doing this a long time and have seen countless threads and complaints about the prelude fittings and small diameter lines sucking up oil. I've even had it happen to myself... both with stock and Endyn modified fittings

Who the **** said anything about the block port method? again, wasted keystrokes

Now, if you're only venting the valve cover then oil won't be sucked up as oil is nowhere near your outlets, especially if they are behind the baffling in the head

Again, not the system I am talking about, so way to post useless information again

Don't act like such an elitist ***** and take the wisdom and advice of people more skilled and experienced than you and do so greatful we decided to help out and show some thanks and I don't know, maybe take the advice and suggestions into consideration as opposed to saying no you're wrong when clearly you don't know very well what you're doing (since you're obviously asking for help) and clearly don't know what you're talking about.

And who are you calling a *****? this is the part where i say GFY! Who the **** are you to call ANYONE a name, or act like your better then anyone? I did hours of research and picked my PCV solution from a VERY reputable source and thread, and its a completely different from the "just venting to atmosphere" system the other guy is talking about where larger hoses may benefit. And as far as not knowing what im talking about... you cant even seem to understand what your reading, so Id work on that before i run my mouth.

And fyi large piping always equals lower velocity for a given air mass. Try this. Blow through a straw and notice how fast the air travels. Then blow through a 1" tube. While the larger tube moves more air volume, the air actually moves slower. Where as the straw moves a small air mass at a much higher velocity.

Now if there were a constant volume of air moving through both the straw and 1" pipe, the straw would have a higher vacuum at the inlet than the larger pipe.

That's why NA headers run small and stepped primaries because the velocity of the gas traveling through the manifold runner will actually create a vacuum in the cylinder bore, helping exhaust scavenging and promoting a cleaner intake charge.

All these statements are true, and if you would pay better ******* attention, again you would see that I am agreeing with them. Long story short, before you start the name game, make sure that the ideas your about to call stupid are not your own.

Last edited by xesvuli420; 09-26-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

No. Some was directed to you (not the name calling, that was to someone else a few pages back trying to be a ******* internet ehero lol)

I was also replying to others

And to the guy who posted the pic on this page.... why do you still have a hose from the intake manifold to your head? I guess you like pressurizing your crankcase? It looks like it's hooked up to the stock pcv but any reasonable amount of boost will cause the one way check valve to fail