Notices

Resistor box affect tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resistor box affect tune?

I had this car originally tuned without a resistor box. I know that I should not have, but lessons learned.

Anyway, she was running just fine before the resistors went in. Now she is running rich and will not idle with the idle screw all the way open. There is no misfire and it sounds great if I open the throttle plate a little. I need to give it throttle to keep it running.

This is on an h22a4 with s300 in a BB6 chassis (obd2).

My question is if the resistors/wires would affect the injector pulse timing enough to cause it to run rich?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Resistor box affect tune? (Scheizty)

why would you install a resistor box after the fact ? the injectors in the car probably dont need it, and thats why there is no resistor box.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Resistor box affect tune? (DaveF)

If the injectors were peak&hold, they usually would have burned the injector circuit on the ecu if used w/o a resistor box. If they were saturated, they wouldn't need the resistor box.

If it didn't somehow fry the ecu (or you did and have a new ecu), the injectors would be opening up a little slower, meaning you'd actually be running lean.

1) Find out if the injectors are saturated or peak&hold. Google will tell you how to do that.

2) if saturated, take it off, drink & be merry

3) if peak&hold, verify the ecu isn't toast with another ecu, then get it retuned, then you can drink & be merry.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Resistor box affect tune? (HiProfile)

I know that the originals were saturated, and the new ones are peak and hold with low impedence (~2ohms). Due to other issues that I had, this car has not been pushed to it's limit, which I consider lucky, and the circuit has not seen extreme conditions. The ecu is still intact and fully functional, which I also consider lucky.

My confusion was that when I gave the engine some throttle, it ran okay, I was thinking that the additional air was helping the mixture. In this case, you are saying that it is the opposite because the tps is causing the addition of more fuel? Or because the injectors take longer before they open due to the resistance?

So a retune will remedy the situation?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adding the resistor has a significant affect on the injector opening time, you will definitely need a retune.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Resistor box affect tune? (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Adding the resistor has a significant affect on the injector opening time, you will definitely need a retune. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I needed. Thanks much!

Btw, since I'm just coming along with tuning and engine management; could you explain exactly why i am now running rich/lean?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1544043
Old 09-02-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Resistor box affect tune? (mtber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mtber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Read https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1544043</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty knowledgable with EMS, I'm just not understanding whether my engine is lean because of a slower opening time, or it is rich because the increase of throttle causes a better burn from the air coming in, or from the additional fuel that is being injected. The circumstances seem a little contradicting.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm embarresed to say it but on my FIRST laskey built bottom end. It lasted 1200 miles with peak and hold RC 1000s w/o a resister box. The car never idled right and it seemed to be erratic on the wideband regardless of how we tuned it.

Long story short I have 4 toasted 83mm CP pistons in my garage. #3 cyl was the worst and it had a dime size chunk melted away from the valve relief guides.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Resistor box affect tune? (sp00led)

^ouch!^

That is nails on a chalkboard to my ears