Notices

relocating cat: will this help with restriction and reliability issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default relocating cat: will this help with restriction and reliability issues?

I've been reading around and it appears that there are two issues with a high flow cat.

1- Heat from the turbo would destroy the cat making it useless
2- The exhaust gas velocity from the turbo is slowed down from the cat, yeilding less power....

what would happen if you relocated the cat closer to the rear end of the car?
I am asking because it would
1- turbo exhaust gases may cool down enough to be not as destructive to the cat
2- gas velocities may have slowed down enough to not "bottleneck" at the cat...

thoughts?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: relocating cat: will this help with restriction and reliability issues? (igo4bmx)

most highflow cats ive seen are straight through anway. or just run a test pipe

Chris
Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: relocating cat: will this help with restriction and reliability issues? (BlueHatch00)

he is trying to make the car less loud yo
Old 04-05-2005, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: relocating cat: will this help with restriction and reliability issues? (Quad-Damge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he is trying to make the car less loud yo</TD></TR></TABLE>

i want to make the car quieter, and also at the same time make cops happy if they pull me over
Old 04-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: relocating cat: will this help with restriction and reliability issues? (igo4bmx)

bump
Old 04-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if you're trying to pass emissions, then it would be wise to keep the cat as close as possible so it'll heat up quicker and stay heated for the catalyst material to work.

Otherwise, a high flow cat does not usually "melt" due to extreme heat since there is no matrix in the direct path of the exhaust. Stock cats melt due to a very tight matrix that bottles up the exhaust flow.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: relocating cat: will this help with restriction and reliability issues? (Finest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Finest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, if you're trying to pass emissions, then it would be wise to keep the cat as close as possible so it'll heat up quicker and stay heated for the catalyst material to work.

Otherwise, a high flow cat does not usually "melt" due to extreme heat since there is no matrix in the direct path of the exhaust. Stock cats melt due to a very tight matrix that bottles up the exhaust flow. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i never thought about the heating issue...
Old 04-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would try to keep the cat as close to heat source as possible. Cat converter needs heat to work properly, otherwise, you're better off with a test pipe

The stock location (at the heat shield) should be the placement for the cat. If you are really afraid of bottleneck or restriction at the cat, run a bigger cat if possible(ie. 2.5"DP to 3"cat to 2.5" catback).
Old 04-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: relocating cat: will this help with restriction and reliability issues? (green_GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green_GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would try to keep the cat as close to heat source as possible. Cat converter needs heat to work properly, otherwise, you're better off with a test pipe

The stock location (at the heat shield) should be the placement for the cat. If you are really afraid of bottleneck or restriction at the cat, run a bigger cat if possible(ie. 2.5"DP to 3"cat to 2.5" catback).</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a 3 inch downpipe and exhaust.... a 4 inch would probably not even fit
Old 04-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you already have a 3" DP and cat, then I wouldn't worry too much about it, except if you are planning to push hugh power and run lots of boost. A cat converter will always be a restriction compared to test pipe. It really depends on how far you want to go with your setup, and how much you love the environment
Old 04-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: relocating cat: will this help with restriction and reliability issues? (green_GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green_GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you already have a 3" DP and cat, then I wouldn't worry too much about it, except if you are planning to push hugh power and run lots of boost. A cat converter will always be a restriction compared to test pipe. It really depends on how far you want to go with your setup, and how much you love the environment </TD></TR></TABLE>

i love my setup and i love not getting fines lol

yeah im gonna be running high boost to hit at least 300 whp on my d16y8

test pipe is on right now