Notices

Reliability Question (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability Question (searched)

Now i read the guide for newbies thread on Reliability on a boosted motor...and someone said something about keeping the motor as close to stock as possible would be the best road to take while venturing with Turbo...

is this true?..

take my situation for instance..in a year..(saving up as we speak, almost there)..i want earl to build me my b18c1 from top to bottom..sleeved pistons rods crank bearings arp headstuds port job new valves and retainers and springs and cometic headgasket..i missed a few but pretty much the whole 9 yards...

now after reading this post quated "keeping the motor as stock as possible is better in the sense that you dont want unnecessary parts/mods"...now my plan is in full focus of reliability..yet these two ideas contradict themselves..someone give me some input...

to make it easier lets do it this way..what would hold out better?

1.) stock b18c1

2.) stock with forged internals

3.) sleeved forged internals and stock head

4.) sleeved forged internals build head (the whole shabang)

Old 10-24-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Reliability Question (Siberian Husky)

As i'm starting to learn, stock honda reliability and boost addiction are two separate roads. You build to run more boost, and not for reliability. If its your daily driver, be prepared to get dirty as often as needed.

I just got a second car, and the way i see it is... hopefully my boosted honda will be less money and time to maintain because its only driven once or twice a week, versus seven days a week, and minus all the head aches when your stuck with no car.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability Question (unbanned_evosol)

well im buidling for reliability..and will avoid hitting boost on redundant daily drives like to school or work or whatever...i want to see atleast 150,000k miles off this engine..i will tune and replace sparkplugs along with fluid changes on the regular..
Old 10-25-2005, 12:01 AM
In-N-Out Burger

Given that you have good turbo components, your motor is healthy pre-turbo, and that you have a near-perfect tune; As long is maintenance is followed and you don't drive like *** everytime, your car will last you looong time
Old 10-25-2005, 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=Siberian Husky]well im buidling for reliability..and will avoid hitting boost on redundant daily drives like to school or work or whatever...QUOTE]

I guess i'm the idiot who boosts so i can make redundant drives more interesting.

You must not be boosting yet eh? i consider myself to be a pretty strong willed individual, but when it comes to boosting... forget about it! same goes for 99% of the people i know... but then again my group of friends are probably with the worst of them boost junkies.

good luck with the build.