Notices

reinforcing my cylinders on the cheap with devcon

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default reinforcing my cylinders on the cheap with devcon

Over the years a few people have been using devcon liquid aluminum to reinforce
there cylinder walls I haven't heard much bad feedback on doing it thats part of the reason I'm posting to ask. I also would like to know how far down from the top of the cylinder wall I need to devcon how many inches of salt goes on the bottom and does it need to be compacted before pouring. whats the best way to block off my coolant passageways so they don't get clogged and do you recommend a carbide bit drilling the holes after the devcon is setup. I bought mine at grainger to me it makes allot more sense to spend 40 dollars to reinforce my block then two thousand for a brand names sleeved block.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: reinforcing my cylinders on the cheap with devcon

I got the answers I was looking for devcon should be poured a 1/4 inch below the top of the cylinders the salt does not need to be compacted use rock salt specifically and make sure the salt is well covering where the coolant enters and exits the block. The devcon should allow up to 30psi on the block without cylinder cracking or warping issues. Once the devcon sets use a garden hose to wash out and dissolve all the salt so there is a good area for fluid flow then place the head gasket on top of the block and mark and drill your water passageways. I've talked to four people now who all do there blocks this way and not a single one has had any issues with adequate cooling of the engine.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all the the heat is at the top of the sleeve so i dont see how people dont have bad issues with heat.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you post a link to the Devcon you are using?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Done it, and my block is still good after 3yrs and some 18psi boosted runs.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did it also never had a over heating problem
Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.devcon.com/techinfo/108.pdf

Am I misreading that, or does it list this stuff as only rated for 250*F?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought devcon liquid Aluminum at grainger when it hardens it has the same temp ratings as aluminum which is already in your block. I've spoken with allot of people on this now and everyone is having success so this is the way I'm going. I never could see spending all that money on a cast iron sleeved open deck block just fill it with devcon drill your water jacket holes and call it a day
Old 08-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here check out this thread I found it takes you through it step by step. I am having allot of trouble finding anyone that isn't satisfied.http://www.homemadeturbo.com/f8/fill...updated-35544/
Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a thread on here years ago. Lots of controversy over the effectiveness of it. Some people had lots of issues, others had none. Could of been operator error, so who knows. I think the title had something to do with filling with concrete. Un fortunately I deleted it from my subscribed threads several months ago
Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard that if it's not done correctly it can cause issues but recently I've noticed allot of tuning websites selling stage 3 bottom end upgrades with devcon in the block. These are reputable places I've seen them so I'm wondering if the tuner hasn't found a niche that will provide the same gain as a sleeved block but for a fraction of the price that will certainly shoot there profit margins through the roof which makes sense for tuning shops.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for all motor is this needed????? im going to be running 12.9 to 1
Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cloviskilla you may want to ask one of the guys who are using a devcon block currently I've got a spare GSR block I'm getting ready to do but it will be several months before the whole engine is completed so I won't be able to give solid feedback until then. What I do find interesting is the reason honda used cast iron surrounded by aluminum sleeves the aluminum transfers heat allot better then cast iron so when honda designed there engines they did it right at the time never intending for people to be using superchargers or turbos
but as long as someone can add the devcon and still maintain the same amount of coolant flow roughly through the block the addition of the devcon should speed the heat transfer away from the cylinder walls thus acting as a big heat sink for the cylinders. In theory if done correctly the heat should be lower with the devcon then without it. I intend to do mine right and measure the rate that the fluid flows off the water pump and make sure when I'm done with the devcon I still achieve the same rate of flow.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slimsdizz
cloviskilla you may want to ask one of the guys who are using a devcon block currently I've got a spare GSR block I'm getting ready to do but it will be several months before the whole engine is completed so I won't be able to give solid feedback until then. What I do find interesting is the reason honda used cast iron surrounded by aluminum sleeves the aluminum transfers heat allot better then cast iron so when honda designed there engines they did it right at the time never intending for people to be using superchargers or turbos
but as long as someone can add the devcon and still maintain the same amount of coolant flow roughly through the block the addition of the devcon should speed the heat transfer away from the cylinder walls thus acting as a big heat sink for the cylinders. In theory if done correctly the heat should be lower with the devcon then without it. I intend to do mine right and measure the rate that the fluid flows off the water pump and make sure when I'm done with the devcon I still achieve the same rate of flow.
thats a smart way to put it.... im definetally going to do it. im going to have the motor done bye the 27th hopefully. i devconed a b16a2 block last year but the car was turbo. i just didnt think it was nesesary for n/a. but it should help prevent detonation...
Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when looking at this issue from an aspect of pure fluid dynamics allot of smaller holes drilled would cool allot better then large holes the problem with using small holes is it increases the workload on the water pump and allot of small holes could take away from the reinforcement properties of the cylinders which is the whole point of doing the devcon.

So I'm going to have to say people are doing it correctly as best they can with larger holes drilled however this does provide a business opening for the right person to actually maximize the fluid flow while maintaining structural integrity of the modification and computer mapping of the fluid flow characteristics would be key to success along with test engines. A company willing to do this could in theory open a business selling blocks for hondas at less than a thousand dollars and they would rake in the cash.