Notices

GE Block Guards?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Mustang Sally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GE Block Guards?

I'm wondering what a block guard is actually supposed to do. I've heard two different things here.

A. Stop the cylinders on an open deck from vibrating
B. Strengthen the cylinder up top "Where detonation occurs"

Honestly, if A is true, then I think it might be worth it, if people install it for added strength at TDC where most pressure occurs, I think it might be worth it, but the detonation thing sounds stupid. Most detonation will not happen at TDC.

I know sleeving is ultimately THE best way to go, but like others say "Cheap insurance." I'm looking at a GE block guard due to the fact they seen to let alot more coolant flow.

My MAIN MAIN MAIN concern is this, wouldn't this heat the top of the cylinder up more (and not just the coolant, I'm worried about the cylinder." Because if so, they seem extremely stupid to me because wouldn't that heat up your combustion chamber and help cause detonation?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking at buying one, and I know aluminum doesn't conduct heat well at all, but I'm just trying to do my research.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: GE Block Guards? (KooK)

If you are doing forged internals then some people will say stock sleeves and no blockguard wil be good for up to 400-600HP. Jeff evans of http://www.evan-tuning.com has actually tuned several high HP setups on stock sleeves. I think the highest stock sleeve built internal B series turbo he has done had 640ish WHP.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GE Block Guards? (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are doing forged internals then some people will say stock sleeves and no blockguard wil be good for up to 400-600HP. Jeff evans of http://www.evan-tuning.com has actually tuned several high HP setups on stock sleeves. I think the highest stock sleeve built internal B series turbo he has done had 640ish WHP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL that has nothing to do with what he is asking.....lol. i'd love to helpyou but i'm not sure what a block guard is for........guarding the block?...lol.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: GE Block Guards? (CarAudioPro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CarAudioPro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL that has nothing to do with what he is asking.....lol. i'd love to helpyou but i'm not sure what a block guard is for........guarding the block?...lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, then I'll translate my previous post for anybody who cannot read between the lines or cant take the hints.

You don't need a blockguard.

There is that better?
Old 12-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah as far as i know blockguard keep the sleeves from vibrating/flexing under lots of rpms and boost.

Its not as good as a sleeved block but its cheap insurance. I have a built engine with stock sleeves and i use one...

jeff evans says a properly tuned bseries needs neither sleeving nor a blockguard while that may be the case- i still use a blockguard
Old 12-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GE Block Guards? (BlueShadow)

Block guards are crap. if installed incorrectly they will cause overheating. they can also cause the sleeves to crack where the block guard sits. just put in your pistons and rods and keep the stock redline. 300whp is cake
Old 12-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GE Block Guards? (KooK)

IIRC there are blockguards out there that restrict proper cooling of the block, almost turning it into a closed deck block. But the GE one makes it semi-closed, which is better.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GE Block Guards? (Boostage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Block guards are crap. if installed incorrectly they will cause overheating. they can also cause the sleeves to crack where the block guard sits. just put in your pistons and rods and keep the stock redline. 300whp is cake</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not a GE blockguard, but i have been running it all summer, fall, and part of the winter, no overheating at all.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbotime not everyone has problems but its very hit or miss. Kook do a search in the archives and see.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbotime not everyone has problems but its very hit or miss. Kook do a search in the archives and see.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats true, just sharing my experience with them. I liek the look of the GE blockguard tho, looks like it has more room for coolant

i guess ill start worryin when i start overheating
Old 12-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have heard it's worth puttin the money else where into the motor....think about it....if people are making 400-600 on stock sleeves...i'm sure u could spend the money on something better
Old 12-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah but $100 bux doesnt buy much that would provide insurance the way a blockguard does.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought block guards had to to be machined/or welded in...plus if the motor is not apart that's more time/labor/money....i would rather have a better EMS or lots of other stuff than a BG....just my 2cents
Old 12-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Mustang Sally

Default Re: (lucidvtec)

My engine is currently at the machine shop in line for a .020 over bore, CP Pistons and Eagle Rods with ARP Studs/bolts everywhere. So putting one in right now would be nothing more than just buying the block guard itself.

Honestly, its cool to see such high horsepower B series engines, but those are people that have got to expect their sleeves to crack or their engines to break but this is my daily driver. The downtime I have on it right now is killing me and I can't afford to do it again. I want to do it right the first time, I wanna do it now and I don't want to have to do it again.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KooK)

yup, my car is a daily driver too (in non winter months) thats why i got a blockguard, cause reliability is a must and i have stock sleeves.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as the cyl pressures stay under control, the stock sleeves are fine. Blockguards can cause more problems then just overheating...
Old 12-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.nate)

ya know, i keep hear about the problems block guards cause (overheating, warping, etc) but i have yet to see one cited case where someone posts saying: "I use a BG and now my cylinders are warped" or "I used a BG and now I have uncontrollable overheating"

Although I hear a lot of people reference these things...
Old 12-17-2005, 06:06 AM

Default Re: (turbotime)

I have been using a inline pro block guard for a year now with no problems. Block guards are only $100 and most machine shops will install them for a couple bucks (my machine shop installed mine for free since they were boring and honing it anyways)
Old 12-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GE Block Guards? (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its not a GE blockguard, but i have been running it all summer, fall, and part of the winter, no overheating at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is that a NuFormz block gaurd?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not sure , I bought my engine from this no-nothing guy who had it built and all.

When I pulled the head to replce the HG i found this . So i dont really know, sorry
Old 12-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My block gaurd works fine for me. No overheating issues what so ever. sees 18psi on an SC61 stock bore B16.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

guess mine is the nuformz ($150) good eye!
Old 12-17-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: (turbotime)

Just tune your car well and you will be fine. A block guard is just one more thing that can go wrong. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=389

http://forums.evans-tuning.com...=1376

"Blockguards are honestly a total waste of money. I have tuned sevearal 600whp+ stock sleeve/no blockguard/posting engines that are running great. These are SFWD/T4 drag cars, that take a beating at the track and are street driven. Our personal drag car is holding up at 650whp @ 29psi on stock sleeves, no blockguard. At the end of the season i plan on pushing the our stock sleeve engine to over 700whp, and have no fear that it wont hold up.

Moral of the story, if the engine is built with the proper clearances, good internals (pistons/rods/oem bearings/etc) and the tuning is conservative with good quality parts there is no reason to sleeve a block or use a block guard."
Old 12-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

I have to disagree with Jeff on not needing to sleeve. some of us like to turn 9800+ rpms might not be wise on stock sleeves, would probably walk like crazy. 28psi+9800 *drools*
Old 12-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

running with AZ blockguard same as the GE/STR no problem I think it saved my block already, blew my engine and all that got damage was the pistons from detonation. blockguard

Modified by rudebwoy at 8:00 PM 12/17/2005

Modified by rudebwoy at 8:16 PM 12/17/2005

Modified by rudebwoy at 8:17 PM 12/17/2005

Modified by rudebwoy at 9:04 PM 12/17/2005

Modified by rudebwoy at 9:05 PM 12/17/2005

Quick Reply: GE Block Guards?