Notices

Recommendation for crankcase ventilation on a b18c1

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation for crankcase ventilation on a b18c1

I read the FAQ sticky on this topic and it was very informative. I am in the parts buying portion of the build on my healthy, 88k mile, gsr. It will be <300 HP . <400 if/when I build the engine. Some questions I have are:

# of vents, is 1 b&r type block plug to -10 fitting and valve cover vent to catch can enough? Would venting all 3 and the valve cover be better? The majority of catch cans I've come across seem to all have 2 fittings on them.

Is there a reason it seems most put a filter on the valve cover vent instead of routing to the catch can?

Do any of the catch cans "bolt on" to an existing area for a clean install? The asp battery/can combo looks good but, I'd like to retain my full size battery and its a bit pricey.

Are any catch cans/kits better than others and why? I've looked at endyne, z10 and some others. I like the al plug vs freeze plug because I can r&r if wanted easily. Also I am shying away from a drain back system to keep any contaminants out of my precious.

Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated
Old 06-02-2015, 04:37 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Recommendation for crankcase ventilation on a b18c1

For your goals running both B&R rear block fittings is all you need. They make catch cans that bolt in place of the battery but since you don't want to relocate the battery those aren't good choices.

Any catch can like the one in the endyn kit, which is basically a moroso catch can, will work. If you are looking for a top of the line can with great appearances and functionality with real engineering behind it then look at the catch cans Radium Engineering sells. IMO they are one of, if not the best catch can on the market. They cost a little more but when you see the engineering that went into them (which they show you unfiltered and unbiased) I think you'll agree. Their surge tanks and regulators are pretty sexy as well.

https://www.radiumauto.com/
Old 06-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2 rear block vents. Sounds good, thank you. The radium cans do look nice, the dipstick is a clever idea
Old 06-04-2015, 11:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Blackworks Oil Catch Can Kit Combo - Wrinkle Black Series looks like a really nice kit though it is kinda intended for battery tray and is pricey but thats what I came across and just had to have it, I think any can will work as long as you have roughly a safe volume, really it comes down to personal preference on aesthetics and what your going to pay.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To answer your questions it depends on your setup.

I make carbon breather boxes for full race applications. In an application such as a boosted stock clearanced motor you probably won't show excessive blow by until the motor starts to wear in. That being said I have seen stock motors that have tons of blow by because of the condition of the motor. Weak leak downs etc.

I would start with a 2 -10 line setup then go with the drain back if later needed. You can search the forum for a thread showing my carbon breather box. It performs very well for street and track use. However it will replace the battery tray and battery.

You can also use the block fittings to the can in conjunction with the factory valve cover fitting. Then later vent the valve cover if needed.