Notices

Really slow spool with the cast manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really slow spool with the cast manifold

I just changed my manifold from one of those cheap-o ebay ones to a prescision turbo manifold, and I noticed a huge increase in my spool time. Is it because of the change to the cast style? I was thinking that the ebay one had equal length runners, and the prescison has the outer runners are longer then the inner ones, so could this create turblance increasing my spool time. Im still running the same t/3 on my ls, and we changed NOTHING........ Thanks.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Really slow spool with the cast manifold (motormike40)

The log should spool faster then eql generally...

The eql is better for top end flow..and typically spools a lil slower..
Old 01-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it has alot to do with the design of the equal length manifold.

its basically like porting, some people think you can just hog out ports with no idea or goal to be achieved. same goes for manifolds.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Really slow spool with the cast manifold (iBrandon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iBrandon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The log should spool faster then eql generally...

The eql is better for top end flow..and typically spools a lil slower..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Marketing has got you sold.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Really slow spool with the cast manifold (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeh ur right...eql spools 20 times faster then the log manifold my bad...be nice to state ur own reasoning...

I was stating an overall general statement b/w the two..with my experiences..but hey im all up for learning new things..

So lets play..

Modified by iBrandon at 4:47 PM 1/27/2007
Old 01-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Really slow spool with the cast manifold (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Full-race proved this a while ago i thought? Oh wait, you're the one that was talking **** in the R14 thread.

Back up your statement with data please.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Really slow spool with the cast manifold (njn63)

I do recall a side-by-side of a ramhorn vs an elf-style/mini-me type manifold (tubular form of an hks mani). The minime had equal length runners and had more power until ~5k, then the ramhorn took over. But the elf style has the benifit over a log in that the exhaust pulses don't have to immediately make a sharp 90 degree turn, rather they flow in a nice radius to the turbo.

BTW in that fullrace eq-vs-log thread, they stated the log spooled ~250rpm sooner, but made 25lb/ft less. I don't know about you, but 250rpm is very little, I'd be thinking your 'really slow spool' would be well over 500rpm more.

Otherwise, I might attribute that to your tune. If it does flow less, that means it will run much more rich. 10:1 will spool much slower than having 12/13:1 right after 0psi.

Modified by HiProfile at 11:41 AM 1/28/2007
Old 01-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Really slow spool with the cast manifold (njn63)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by njn63 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Full-race proved this a while ago i thought? Oh wait, you're the one that was talking **** in the R14 thread.

Back up your statement with data please.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, all he ever does is rag on people and try and start ****. Midship, I would love to see your no doubt thorough and extensive dyno testing you've done comparing equal length to log manifolds.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All you guys ever do is fondle some *****.

it may spool faster for 200-300 rpm ( <u>which is good for what ? In a few seconds its hp & TQ is no match for a collector manifold </u>) but isn't the entire boost threshold for a given turbo.

So tell me how max boost is gained faster?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (motormike40)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by motormike40 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just changed my manifold from one of those cheap-o ebay ones to a prescision turbo manifold, and I noticed a huge increase in my spool time. Is it because of the change to the cast style? I was thinking that the ebay one had equal length runners, and the prescison has the outer runners are longer then the inner ones, so could this create turblance increasing my spool time. Im still running the same t/3 on my ls, and we changed NOTHING........ Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

With such a drastic difference, you should really check for possible exhaust leaks. Cast manifolds need a little more torque to get them to seal somtimes; depends on the brand of manifold you went with, some come majorly warped at the mating surfaces.

Log manifolds (depending on design of course) would give you better boost response just because it pushes exhaust through the turbo almost right away and develops exhaust pressure way sooner than long tubular manifolds. We don't count loading the engine from 4th gear say on a dyno because that doesn't show how fast the turbo picks up at low RPM. Good logs would be Inline Pro, or even the HKS one I am running which has a separate mini collector that divides each runner as it enters the turbo. The Drag ones, or even the tubular logs (ones using pipe "tee's") would suffer in every way. It will make lesser power at the same boost, so if you are running identical boost, you are probably just getting way lesser power everywhere.