Notices

Read my plugs, please

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Read my plugs, please

These are some pics of my plugs. The motor is gsr with t3 60-1 pushing about 11lbs minime ram and 3" dp.

AFR's are inthe 11.5 range to 11.3 full boost and timing was at 16-17 under full boost. I have never changed the plugs so I will check full throttle this weekend, as I have a few sets now of plugs now.

I believe there may be slight detonation from the looks of the plugs but I need to identify it is at part throttle or full throttle. Just wanted to get some opinions.

sorry for the big pics but you might need to zoom in a bit to see the light "pepper" on the plugs, the prong seems to be good as the discoloration is right at the bend but it has small little specs like setonation on the prong, they are very fine and small. The plugs have been on the car for since the turbo and through the tune so I need to change them anyway to make sure it is not the tune.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Read my plugs, please (drintegra)

Since nobody else is posting, Ill take a stab... I can see the light pepper which means you prolly are getting some deatonation or pre ignition. A way to tell for sure is to make some of these. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1555006 I made some myself and they worked GREAT!. It really does sound like rice falling on tin foil. Back the timing off untill you dont hear it anymore (if you indeed are getting pre ig./deat.). Also, new plugs is greatly going to help reading them, its a lot easier to tell. You HAVE to shut the car down during the pull in order to read them properly tho.

Hope this helps....

Blaze
Old 03-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Read my plugs, please (Blaze45)

how can you read that plug ? its filthy? get a new plug in it, do a pull, shut the car off imidiatly, pull...diagnose..

only hting ican see its the heat on the ground strap... get a pic looking down at the porcelin
Old 03-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to do this with a fresh set of plugs. Turn the car off completely at the RPM/Load point you want to see (Ex: 6000RPM 14lbs, 4000RPM -10 in/Hg)
Old 03-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Read my plugs, please (dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how can you read that plug ? its filthy? get a new plug in it, do a pull, shut the car off imidiatly, pull...diagnose..

only hting ican see its the heat on the ground strap... get a pic looking down at the porcelin
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alpha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need to do this with a fresh set of plugs. Turn the car off completely at the RPM/Load point you want to see (Ex: 6000RPM 14lbs, 4000RPM -10 in/Hg)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its amazing how these kids don't understand the proper way.

Listen to these two guys

Someone needs to make a write up on how to read spark plugs and make it a sticky.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like a spark plug.

lol
Old 03-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Read my plugs, please (Blaze45)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blaze45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since nobody else is posting, Ill take a stab... I can see the light pepper which means you prolly are getting some deatonation or pre ignition. A way to tell for sure is to make some of these. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1555006 I made some myself and they worked GREAT!. It really does sound like rice falling on tin foil. Back the timing off untill you dont hear it anymore (if you indeed are getting pre ig./deat.). Also, new plugs is greatly going to help reading them, its a lot easier to tell. You HAVE to shut the car down during the pull in order to read them properly tho.

Hope this helps....

Blaze</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the input, I will try to work on the det cans just don't want to make a hole on the block I figured it was light det or pre ign but I just wanted to make sure. The plugs are dirty but even reading it this way can give info on the engine and how it is running. The plug was black before totally then I upped the ignition a little and checked them that way several times. I was too lazy to make full throttle passes and immediately shut down, (that is why I initially posted up that I will make these runs this weekend, just wanted to info.

Here are the links I read about plu reading hope this helps some one out.

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Pl....html

http://www.dragstuff.com/techa....html

good one

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Sp....html

http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/t...2.asp

http://www.nightrider.com/bike...k.htm

about spark plugs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_plug

Modified by drintegra at 9:11 PM 3/10/2007
Old 03-10-2007, 05:10 PM

BTW, there is no such thing as 'light' pre-ignition
Old 03-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Read my plugs, please (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW, there is no such thing as 'light' pre-ignition </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, pre- ignition. Light or not I know it is not good tha tis why I am trying to correct it.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Read my plugs, please (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW, there is no such thing as 'light' pre-ignition </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true. From what I've learned on my own and what "experts" have told me this is true. Its defintly not pre-ignition. If it was it would be too late. Has the car been on a dyno? I'm pretty sure if your getting detintionation you should see it on the dyno graph (i suppose depending on the type of dyno.. but not sure). But like I said its definltly not pre-ignition. But maybe detonation which are 2 different things.

Detonation is when you induce spark at the wrong time while pre-igintion is a uncontrolled ignition which is caused by other things other then spark such as burning ambers or exessive heat in the cylinder. A engine can generally take some detitionation while a engine can not take pre-ignition. My defitnions are really general and not entirely 100% correct.

Like others said put some new plugs in then check em as soon as u do a run. Also if you could get a look at the pistons some how you'll know if your detonating becuase you'll see marks on the piston top.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Read my plugs, please (93b16hatch)

that sounds right, from what I understand detonation is uncontrolled combustion, basically it is not a smooth "flame front" but more of an explosion, which is why it is so noisy and harmfull