Notices

Rate this combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rate this combo

Im thinking of keeping my 93 ex 5 speed sohc vtec, and putting a turbo on it, how much horse do you think i could make with this combo?
Stock block, brand new rebuild kit from honda, maybe some better rings, and arp studs. Stock oil pan, maybe a higher flow pump? lightly ported head, 3 angle valve job, port matched intake man, b16 tb, some type of good turbo vtec cam? and a turbo chip from like a greddy system. Also a station fmic, vortec fmu, an ihi turbo from a turboford, dsm bov, tube header, i already have high flow cat+ n1 catback. Im also getting my tranny rebuilt with a phantom, and gettin my flywheel lightned to about 10 pounds, with a stage 2 act clutch. What are some good combos with sohc vtec, i have alot of spare turbo parts, and have worked with turbos alot, so i figure why not.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rate this combo (tfalconier)

I think you need to do some more research and know more of what you are talking about before jumping into this. Some of the stuff you listed you don't need at all.

Old 01-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Trial User

My opinion is to ditch the single cam and go DOHC first and foremost.

Now, in response to your post.
I think with a stock block and good "tuning" you could make maybe 200whp, maybe a lil more.

ARP studs are nice to have in any engine, so thats a given.
If your gonna rebuild, get aftermarket pistons.
With my experience, the weakest link to any honda engine is the rods and pistons.
I have not broken a rod, but I have however destroyed the ringlands in my engine on 2 seperate occasions. I am now running aftermarket pissedons with no problems.

Your oil pump will flow fine, you dont need any more flow. More flow equalls more pressure, more pressure equalls oil pushing past your seals.

The headwork is fine, I dont know if there are any good SOHC turbo cams, but its nice to have as well.
As fasr as the "Greddy Chip" is concerned. It does not exist. The greddy system uses a piggyback computer to trick the signals going to your ECU.
Dont waste the money on that, or the FMU, get Hondata instead, or something else. You need engine management, not trickery.

The lightened flywheel I dont think you would like on a turbo application, as your revs will fall off to quickly between shifts, and you will constantly be waiting for your spool. Phantom grips are cool, until they break. So get a real tranny....and that takes us right back to the DOHC.

Like HXMan said, do some more research.
I see wasted money and efforts with your ides, not to make you feel bad.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:17 AM
zer0s0n5

Do some research.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rate this combo (zer0s0n5)

The thing is, i have a turbo, i have an intercooler, i know how to build motors, i can get my whole tranny rebuilt for 100 bucks, including parts by a good race tranny shop next to mine, i can get a phantom for another 200, and a clutch for 150, thats alot less the a motor swap, and i could make just as much or more power then a gsr, with all brand new parts, sohc motors are strong, with 8-9 pounds of boost, maybe an msd to keep detonation down. How much does the hondata run? im sure i could get away with an fmu and some 380 or 450 injectors, but i know it wont have the power it Could.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Trial User

My GSR makes 303/220 on 10psi with a restrictive muffler.
I have a new 3" race muffler, and have been told "Dont be surprised if you see another 40hp from it" from my tuner.

So if you can make near 350 with a SOHC and keep it streetable.
More power to ya.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rate this combo (psi420)

well im not tryin to be the fasest, but i wanna be able to take out si's, and gsrs. How much will hondata run me?
Old 01-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psi420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The lightened flywheel I dont think you would like on a turbo application, as your revs will fall off to quickly between shifts, and you will constantly be waiting for your spool.</TD></TR></TABLE>
why would you be waiting for your spool?? ok if you meant that because your revs drop a lot and be off-boost, but is it the only thing?? won't a lighter flywheel help you on spool time (talking in term of sec not rpm's) since it help the engine rev faster??

if the drop between shift are your only bothers I will change my clutch for a lighter one since I know how to shift, sometimes my engine don't even drop in rpm, in fact it goes higher, by let say 300-500rpms
Old 01-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Trial User

I think a base unit goes for around 250-275 + 200 for boost option.
Then you need to convert your ECU to be hondata enabled, and then tune it.
You can buy used Hondata kits for relatively cheap.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thats pretty cheap, sounds like the way to go
Old 01-15-2004, 03:17 PM

please research and also where do you live in ct. and im sorry get rid of the ******* SOHC they are garbage
Old 01-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think im gonna stick with the sohc, i dont have the money for a motor swap, and i have alot of the turbo parts, i know the sohc motors are strong, and i know they can make power.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:05 PM

Everyone who knocks the SOHC doesn't know what they are talking about, as far as SOHC's go... SOHC's make just as much if not more power with the same budget up to 400+ HP... Yes, the DOHC's make more power but thats only for if you want at 400-650+ HP

oh and psi420:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psi420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So if you can make near 350 with a SOHC and keep it streetable.
More power to ya.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's been done, time and time again... YOU do some RESEARCH
Old 01-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Rate this combo (uranazo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uranazo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's been done, time and time again... YOU do some RESEARCH</TD></TR></TABLE>

He damn for sure aint gonna do it with a mitsu turbo, DSM BOV, FMU and 450cc injectors.

Get off your high horse *******!

BTW - Learn to drive! hahaha
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=721578

Modified by psi420 at 10:22 PM 1/15/2004
Old 01-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nobody ever wants to try and be diffrent, every1 has dohc, i want to go the sohc route, i know theres power to be made with them, i just need a little guidence, this is my first honda buildup
Old 01-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Trial User

I say DOHC because your gonna love the power so much, and your gonna want more, and your gonna keep pushing it until you blow.
Then your back at square one.

Do a SOHC buildup, its cool.
What else do you wanna know?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well what kind of rings are good to use, what kind of injectors are good, where can i get a downpipe? i heard a station one is good to use, I really want to get an aftermarket cam, theres alot of power to be found there, just dont know what kind, does anybody build custom vtec grinds? i have always used schnider for my custom cams, maybe he does them? Whats a good head gasket to use. and what kind of power can i expect fro this combo? im going to be putting the engine togeteher with my dad, hes build everything from 10 second street cars, to ls/vtec turbo, so its not a problem of building, i just want to have the killer combo before hand.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Trial User

There are a wide variety of rings.
I have had good luck with Wiseco rings on several buildups.
Injectors - one and only RC Engineering.
DP - get a flange and custom make one for cheaper....helps if you know how to weld, or have friends that can weld....and it sounds like your dad should be familiar with a welder.
Yes, you can get custom grinds on your cam, it may be pricey.
Crower makes FI cams for B series, maybe D too, I dunno.
OE Headgasket, teamed with the ARP studs should give you no problems.

And power wise, like you said, its all in the tuning.
Lots of fuel and Intake/Exhaust effiency.
200 sounds about right for a basic setup with a cam.
My friend did a SOHC buildup, hacked tuning job on 310's and laid down 180.
True, he could of put alot more into it, but whats the point....he would rather complete his B series buildup.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was thinkin about 200whp also, i looked on homemade turbo alot, and they didnt real use alot of tuning to get their cars to run, im sure power suffered. One of my good friends is a machinest, he can pretty much make me just about anything, he has all sorts of machines, along with mig, tig, plasma cutter, and so on, how would i go about making a down pipe? obivously 3inch would be good. Whats a good manifold that supports ac and flows? Lots of people go with the t3 turbo, and yes its good, but ihi will spool much faster. I think my tranny has pretty good gear ratios, and i think with the phantom lsd it should be ok. What kind of quarter mile could i expect, its a 93 ex, 5 speed like i said, and id be running on 14s with nitto tripple 5s, and i want to do poly engine and tranny mounts, maybe some kind of traction aid.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was thinking about getting some ls rods, d16y8 intake manifold and d16y5 roller rockers, what do you think about this, also what tb is a good upgrade, an si or gsr im assuming, those are just bolt on right?
Old 01-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

search under my name u can get alittle info on my 2000dollor setup. i blew the headgasket but it had nothing to do with the turbo.

if your going to rebuild the motor atleast get rods and pistons.

also get he book "Maximum Boost" by cory Bell. u need alot more research.

search on head about Dseries turbo setups.

also "honda tunning" made 160whp on a d16z6, T25 mistu turbo, FMU, HF manifold and some other cheap ****. @ only 6psi. bump up to 10psi. which is streetable on a completly stock motor, on 92+ octaine. i mean i was running 7.5 psi no problems on my DX motor. i bet with 10psi, Vafc, DSM injectors and a nice FMIC and 3" exhaust u could get 200whp. and prolly do it for under 1500bucks.

also look into urberdata. its free, and is as good as hondata. but for like 150 bucks u can tune it on any dyno. u just need a laptop and a chip burner.

keep the D16z6, rebuild only if it has high miles, or is broken. then if u rebuild, get Turbo panda's piston/rod package for 500 bucks. arp headstuds, ACL bearings, Cosmetic headgasket, and run 15psi daily, also learn to use urberdata. its FREE and u can run more than 10psi on it if u get a 3bar map sensor.

good luck and research alot more.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the cheapest/ safe way to make a good fuel system for the turbo? Also what are some junkyard Fmic you guys run?