Notices

quiet a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quiet a turbo?

Whats the best way to quiet the whine from a turbo? Is there any way? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:36 PM

Default Re: quiet a turbo? (EF9_SiR)

For shame... that's a terrible question to ask. The whine of a turbo is great. On a serious note though, is your wastegate routed into your downpipe? That will quiet it down a bit. Also, you can reroute your bov back into your intake.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet a turbo? (CRXRageD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXRageD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For shame... that's a terrible question to ask. The whine of a turbo is great. On a serious note though, is your wastegate routed into your downpipe? That will quiet it down a bit. Also, you can reroute your bov back into your intake.</TD></TR></TABLE>those steps are being taken. anything else guys?
Old 07-16-2003, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take the turbo off???

Why would you want to quiet the turbo...its the best sound in the world...I wish mine were louder
Old 07-16-2003, 03:57 AM

Default Re: quiet a turbo? (MiraiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take the turbo off???

Why would you want to quiet the turbo...its the best sound in the world...I wish mine were louder</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he wants to be inconspicuous. Only steps I have taken so far was to spray my Drag intercooler black. to match my car. dunno what Im gonna do about guages tho once everything is installed? its a 94 coupe so i dont have space for the guages on the side of teh guage cluster like the 96+
Old 07-16-2003, 06:37 AM

Are you looking to attenuate the sound completely? I don't know if that possible.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you may have to kill power at the same time or get sound dampeners that will add weight too
Old 07-16-2003, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the exhaust side, the longer the pipe the quieter the turbine sound (or at least the farther it is away from you ears). A good muffler will sop up the high pitch as well. On the intake side, a "baffle" of some sort in the intake pipe. Nothing too restrictive, but maybe something like they used on the 1G DSM's. Nothing really elaborate -- just some cardboard "fins" enclosed in a stamped metal housing. It's enough to make any turbo car sound like a Cadillac.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:14 AM

Default Re: quiet a turbo? (CheezeFrog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CheezeFrog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On the exhaust side, the longer the pipe the quieter the turbine sound (or at least the farther it is away from you ears). A good muffler will sop up the high pitch as well. On the intake side, a "baffle" of some sort in the intake pipe. Nothing too restrictive, but maybe something like they used on the 1G DSM's. Nothing really elaborate -- just some cardboard "fins" enclosed in a stamped metal housing. It's enough to make any turbo car sound like a Cadillac.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, most of the whining sound is heard through the intake. At least on my setup it is. Instead of the usual K&N or foam style filter, you can try to convert back to an airbox type setup. I wouldnt think ti would be to performance oriented, but would definatly help with the noise.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:50 AM

Default Re: quiet a turbo? (rioninja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rioninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, most of the whining sound is heard through the intake. At least on my setup it is. Instead of the usual K&N or foam style filter, you can try to convert back to an airbox type setup. I wouldnt think ti would be to performance oriented, but would definatly help with the noise.</TD></TR></TABLE>

id also recommend going "CAI" style, filter in the bumper. that'll quiet it down lots.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: quiet a turbo? (Turbo E)

Hell, I wondering how to I INCREASE the sound of the turbo whine in my car...

ANybody can help me with that?
Old 07-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet a turbo? (Snafu-Si)

I like the turbine whine.... mmm music to my ears
Old 07-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet a turbo? (Snafu-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snafu-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hell, I wondering how to I INCREASE the sound of the turbo whine in my car...

ANybody can help me with that? </TD></TR></TABLE>Run an open dump tube about 8"-12" long straight off the turbo exhaust housing. It'll sound absolutely badass. It'll go "Fwzheeeeeeeee". Just like that.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet a turbo? (CheezeFrog)

are you talking about open downpipe? What dumptube do you speak of? the only dumptube I am aware of is the wg dt.....

I want a louder turbo too :/
Old 07-16-2003, 12:33 PM

Default Re: quiet a turbo? (Turbo E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

id also recommend going "CAI" style, filter in the bumper. that'll quiet it down lots.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did this to my car, it's still audible but, sounds pretty good. Also, what cheezefrog mentioned about the dump tube. Did that to, makes a wierd sneezy sound but, sounds mean. That's off the wastegate.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas

Right now the dumptube off my WG is the LOUDEST thing on my car. Makes a LOUD "BRAP BRAP BRAP" when I blip my throttle.

then there's a steady "br bra bra brab ab rb rbabprbaprbarbaprbparpbarpap" when I'm in my disired full boost.

Kind of goofy...
Old 07-17-2003, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: quiet a turbo? (intekragsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by intekragsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you talking about open downpipe? What dumptube do you speak of? the only dumptube I am aware of is the wg dt.....

I want a louder turbo too :/</TD></TR></TABLE>

ie remove the exhaust all together. Just run an open dt. I did that for a few months..sounds awesome. But sucks on the freeway..loud.

liam