Notices

Quickest spool time on a Z6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quickest spool time on a Z6?

I am considering turbocharging my Del Sol and was going to ask for advice on getting the best turbo for instant spool. I don't care about shiny stuff, so I'm probably going to get a log manifold to speed up the spooltime, but I was wondering what size turbos everyone has tried in order to get as little lag as possible.

The engine is a D16Z6 with 80,000 miles. Stock everything. I don't want to change the internals and want to use it as my daily driver so my power goals are quite reasonable. 180 WHP and I can walk away happy (although I will take more if I get it LOL).

Since my power goals are not high, I'm thinking I can focus more on the overall behavior of the system more. Two things I want are as instant boost as I can get and to be able to maintain boost all the way up the RPM-band. I know those usually are conflicting ideologies, so a compromise must be made.

I actually have a MHI TD05H-14B (just rebuilt too) but I was wondering if that is too big.

I just wanted some input on different turbos that would good or turbos to avoid when working on this idea.

Oh, and no flaming - I find it pathetic I have to say that, but I asked a different question and got flamed because the sky is blue or something. You know how it is on h-t...
Old 03-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quickest spool time on a Z6?

you will defiently have to compromise on whether you want a quik spool or an overall steady powerband i prefer to maintain boost though the powerband it keeps me from going into boost to often because i had a heavy foot anyways it made me feel better since i had stock internals at the time
Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're thinking a 14b is too big, you may as well not even turbo the car. You're getting into the size range that, although may spool fast, isn't going to give you much of an increase in power. Even the 14b is a tiny, nearly useless turbo. I guess i dont really have a suggestion that would meet your needs at the moment. One concern is that instant spool is going to make traction issue...i had a very fast spooling GT3255b on my GSR (full boost at 3800rpm) and i would spin everywhere without running drag radials...something to consider
Old 03-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I understand there will be a compromise. I don't care if there is a little loss of boost, like 1-2 PSI, but what I don't want is the turbo to be at its limits at redline. As the engine spins faster, the turbo will as well and I don't want it to either get too close to its design limits or to fall off of the compressor efficiency plateau. Oh, and surge is completely unacceptable. Besides that, all other focus goes to spool time and drivability.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure at all if the 14B is too big. It might be perfect. I was just basing my thinking on the fact that it was designed for a 2.0 L and they replaced it later with the T25 for spool time reasons. However, While my engine is smaller, it does rev higher so the overall air going through the non-turbocharged engine is probably similar.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

14b will do exactly what you want, quick spool and hold to redline on a stock Z6.. I had one on my car and loved it, full boost at 2800-3200. amazing MPG's with this setup as well
Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 14b will definitely make 180 whp and spool very quickly.

My current setup is designed as a budget "quick spool" setup - D17 crank, heavily ported Greddy kit, and a side mount intercooler keeping charge pipes compact.

I get plenty of torque in the 2-3k rpm range, hopefully will have it on a dyno in the next couple months.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, that works out great because I have one that's been freshly rebuilt with all new internals.

My hope is to get it all finished by the summer. I'm restoring the car to as close to original showroom condition as possible. Was thinking of putting a bit more power in it to make it fun in the summer, but I want it as low-key and stock-looking/sounding as possible. Of course, that won't be possible under the hood, but there's a hood in the way for that.

Is 180 HP a realistic goal for daily drivability and reliability with a good tune?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Absolutely, a Z6 should last forever at 180 hp if tuned well.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was considering using the Greddy eManage unit. I've heard good things and it's supposed to be pretty simple. That, and used ones are pretty cheap and can be updated to be just like new ones. Has anyone worked with one? I wanted to know if this is a good route.

We do emissions tests where I live so it has to pass tailpipe emissions. There is no underhood/car check so they won't care that it is turbocharged as long as it meets 1993 pollution requirements.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Korman
I was considering using the Greddy eManage unit. I've heard good things and it's supposed to be pretty simple. That, and used ones are pretty cheap and can be updated to be just like new ones. Has anyone worked with one? I wanted to know if this is a good route.

We do emissions tests where I live so it has to pass tailpipe emissions. There is no underhood/car check so they won't care that it is turbocharged as long as it meets 1993 pollution requirements.
have you considered just getting chipped and getting tuned on chrome? im not to familiar with the greddy unit but i have a few friends who make similar power on there d series around 180-200hp and they all are tuned on chrome, the downside vs. the greddy unit is the lack of updates. I personally prefer the options i get from hondata, the s100 unit isnt that bad of a price and hondata is pretty reliable. Im sure you would be able to find more people tuning with hondata than the greddy unit
Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shifty35
Absolutely, a Z6 should last forever at 180 hp if tuned well.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've used CROME twice making a custom map for a guy I know with a B20-VTEC (which I dislike, but that's another story). CROME's interface is simple stuff... So easy a caveman could do it! The problem was when it came to burning the ROM, well... his was a pain in the ***...

His used a serial interface to one or those Ricoh serial-to-USB connectors and refused to work properly 98% of the time.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would rock the 14b, or a t25, or a vj off of a suby. But here is a dyno map of my rhb5 off of a 80s suby turbo wagon. Stock a6 with headstuds. My big problem was the stock exhaust really restricted the flow on the top end. I gutted the cat too, it was an insta spool!!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want an instant spool and hold the power band all the way up the RPM range. I would get a turbonetics t3. My delsol has a z6 turbo, and it i reach full boost by 3500 rpm. but thats with a top mount mani. so a log style would spool you up to full boost by 3300rpm or so. and it holds boost and the powerband through the whole rpm range.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help. So it's all pretty realistic for just adding a bit of *fun to drive* factor
Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Korman
I've used CROME twice making a custom map for a guy I know with a B20-VTEC (which I dislike, but that's another story). CROME's interface is simple stuff... So easy a caveman could do it! The problem was when it came to burning the ROM, well... his was a pain in the ***...

His used a serial interface to one or those Ricoh serial-to-USB connectors and refused to work properly 98% of the time.
ive used crome numerous times using a moates burn1 and flash and burn, all usb. i rarely (but they do happen once in a blue moon) have a problem.

i think you can use the 14b with no issues. it should hold to stock redline and will make 180hp. i used a tod5 hl 15-t on my last single cam build. it definately held to redline and would make 10psi around 3000 rpm give or take. it made 191hp/166tq on 8-8.5 psi on a vitara motor with 7.5:1 compression. i might advise against using an rhb5 (no offense to the poster in here). i had a friend with one on a 2.0 crossflow vw motor and it would loose boost up top, and that motor has worse VE than a vtec motor in vtec imo
Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
If you're thinking a 14b is too big, you may as well not even turbo the car. You're getting into the size range that, although may spool fast, isn't going to give you much of an increase in power. Even the 14b is a tiny, nearly useless turbo.
I don't do this often, but I'm going to disagree with you.

Speaking as one that did A LOT of research on this turbo, I think for your stated goals it will work really well. The most output on a z6 that I found with the 14b was 240whp (eagle/srp's, cam'd, etc.) It will provide you with quick spool, and it's not going to choke out up top. I like it as a choice for what you want.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rat city rex
I would rock the 14b, or a t25, or a vj off of a suby. But here is a dyno map of my rhb5 off of a 80s suby turbo wagon. Stock a6 with headstuds. My big problem was the stock exhaust really restricted the flow on the top end. I gutted the cat too, it was an insta spool!!
Dude, that is a totally bad-*** autox / street powerband. 170+ ft-lbs at < 3k? Holy ****.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by 95civhb
I don't do this often, but I'm going to disagree with you.
This is treason for which you will now be burned at the stake

But I agree to a point after reading through this thread more in depth. The 14b for his goals may work really well. I'm just not a fan of older turbos like that; however for the cost and availability, its a perfect solution and will do EXACTLY what he wants. My comment stemmed from my experience riding in D's with T25s and 14b's...i was never really that impressed, but i'm comparing apples to oranges (my GSR to the 14b D series). If i compare that more appropriately to my EJ8, the story changes. Honestly, after reading this thread, i started to get some evil ideas for my little red coupe
Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
Honestly, after reading this thread, i started to get some evil ideas for my little red coupe
Do tell :D
Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Man U FTW

^^Haha...i'd love to boost it, but in reality, its best to have a stock car in case my GSR decides to act up. If there's one thing i've learned through all my turbo setups, its that stock cars are really nice...and really slow
Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shifty35
Dude, that is a totally bad-*** autox / street powerband. 170+ ft-lbs at < 3k? Holy ****.

I know, I never got a chance to auto-x it but I did take it to the drag strip. I was cutting 2.2-2.4 60'. But I did get a 101mph trap out of it. Bad street tires and a bad alignment were to blame. It was a total sleeper. It was alot of fun. Only other thing Ive had as much fun in was a b16 boosted with a 14b with a gsr tranny. God I miss the good old days of junkyard setups.