Notices

quick willem/uberdata/chip question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick willem/uberdata/chip question...

Hi, i am gettin ready to burn my first few chips and ive read that most people use the AT29C256 chip... and i have one of these... but i also have 2 27c256 chips... but they arent AT 27c256 they are like MA27c256 or soem **** like that.... does this matter .. will they still work with the willem and burn right? That is my main question.. the other is... i was following a walk through guide for the willem and there is a section that explains the litte jumpers (the yellow blocks) but the jumper setup on my burner is different then the one on the walkthrough and software picture.... mine only has 2 yellow jumper blocks... what do i do? thanks guys in advacne!

ohh... when i bought my willem burner it came with the software disc and when i downloaded it ... it was version .97ja.... and every where i have read everyone says to use version .97g..... is there any difference? thanks

Modified by turboH22Aakkord at 5:01 AM 4/18/2005
Old 04-17-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: quick willem/uberdata/chip question... (turboH22Aakkord)

anyone? any adivce is welcomed... im planning on trying to burn the chip tomrrow.. haha.. so i could use the help.. thanks again!
Old 04-17-2005, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboH22Aakkord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi, i am gettin ready to burn my first few chips and ive read that most people use the AT29C256 chip... and i have one of these... but i also have 2 27c256 chips... but they arent AT 27c256 they are like MA27c256 or soem **** like that.... does this matter .. will they still work with the willem and burn right? That is my main question.. the other is... i was following a walk through guide for the willem and there is a section that explains the litte jumpers (the yellow blocks) but the jumper setup on my burner is different then the one on the walkthrough and software picture.... mine only has 2 yellow jumper blocks... what do i do? thanks guys in advacne!

ohh... when i bought my willem burner it came with the software disc and when i downloaded it ... it was version .97ja.... and every where i have read everyone says to use version .97g..... is there any difference? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll answer your questions as best I can [required uberdata speech]If there were Uber questions, make sure you ask them on the Uber board. [/required uberdata speech]

I'm not sure about the chips you have. They may be one time programmable, or they may have the little erasing window. You can open up your Willem software and look under the dropdown to select the 27c256 option, see if you can match the part # there. They SHOULD work, though.

I'm not sure what you mean by "yellow" blocks - I have two blue switch blocks, one with four switches and one with 12. If you open up your software and select the 27c256 it will show a picture of how to set the switches to match the chip you have.

As for version 0.97ja, I have had ZERO success with that version - I stick to 0.97g, it's working perfectly for me, no reason to upgrade!
Old 04-18-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: quick willem/uberdata/chip question... (raene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'll answer your questions as best I can [required uberdata speech]If there were Uber questions, make sure you ask them on the Uber board. [/required uberdata speech]

I'm not sure about the chips you have. They may be one time programmable, or they may have the little erasing window. You can open up your Willem software and look under the dropdown to select the 27c256 option, see if you can match the part # there. They SHOULD work, though.

I'm not sure what you mean by "yellow" blocks - I have two blue switch blocks, one with four switches and one with 12. If you open up your software and select the 27c256 it will show a picture of how to set the switches to match the chip you have.

As for version 0.97ja, I have had ZERO success with that version - I stick to 0.97g, it's working perfectly for me, no reason to upgrade!</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks a ton for the response... ( i would post on uberdata but i get lost on there site haha)

so if my 27c256 chips have the little sight glass does that mean its reusable?

ok.... the yellow "blocks" i was talking about... well if you have the willem eprom software open it shows the little chip holder and to the right of that there will be little yellow squares... and on the uberdata walkthrough it tells how the blocks should be aranged... but my burner only came with 2 yellow square jumpers and the arangement is different then the one show on the software... thanks agian...
Old 04-18-2005, 05:20 AM

when burning the 29c256 use the 0.97g software and the PC3B option instead of willem, that way you dont have to use a jumper. it might not ID the chip but it still works.

for the 27c256, the little "window" is because they are UV erasable
because it isnt an ATmel chip you have to select the correct chip in the device menu so you know where the jumpers are set.

you should follow what the software tells you for the jumpers, most write ups are for the 29c256 and the jumpers may be different for your chip

EDIT: don't get discouraged if it seems like you will never get it to work, it took me 3 days of trying to burn my first chip, after you get everything setup properly you'll never have any trouble with it again

Modified by RACINTWEEK at 9:31 AM 4/18/2005
Old 04-18-2005, 07:05 AM

Default Re: quick willem/uberdata/chip question... (RACINTWEEK)

well, i just tried to burn my frist chip using the 29c256 not using the wire jumper on the PCB3 and i got an ERROR : write sector 0 i dont know what that is supost to mean.. but im lost right now.. help?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:18 AM

did you make sure your DIP switches are correct for PCB3?
they are different from the willem setting (i think that is what i did wrong when i first started)
Old 04-18-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: quick willem/uberdata/chip question... (RACINTWEEK)

well im pritty sure i got those dips right.. but i tossed one of the 27c's cips in and changed the dips and she burned right up no problem... but i didnt get a chance to start the car today so i dont know if it burned right ...
Old 04-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=560
Old 04-18-2005, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Press Ctrl+C to check if the bin you have loaded in the eprom programmer is the same as the bin on the chip It should do an auto-verify afterwards anyway and say if it programmed right, but I like to doublecheck.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:32 PM

if you plan to burn 27C256 chips or any UV erasable chips you should make sure they are blank first
this takes like 2 seconds to do in willem to verify its blank

if not then you will need to uv erase it some more
Old 04-18-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: (BlackCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you plan to burn 27C256 chips or any UV erasable chips you should make sure they are blank first
this takes like 2 seconds to do in willem to verify its blank

if not then you will need to uv erase it some more</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks man... how do i "UV erase"... can i just use the erase feature on the willem? cause thats what i did this time haha...
Old 04-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (turboH22Aakkord)

you need a special UV light to erase the 27c256 chips with the window on them. so that kinda makes them a pain in the *** to tune with.....

you better off getting a couple 29c256's so you can erase them over and over using the williams software...........thats what i do and most other people running uberdata

if you keep getting errors when writing to the 29c256 make sure your jumper wire is not to thick. i had that issue before that it was to thick and it was not making good contact to the pin on the chip. also double and tripple check that the DIP switches are correct

Old 04-18-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need a special UV light to erase the 27c256 chips with the window on them. so that kinda makes them a pain in the *** to tune with.....

you better off getting a couple 29c256's so you can erase them over and over using the williams software...........thats what i do and most other people running uberdata

if you keep getting errors when writing to the 29c256 make sure your jumper wire is not to thick. i had that issue before that it was to thick and it was not making good contact to the pin on the chip. also double and tripple check that the DIP switches are correct

</TD></TR></TABLE>

sweet man.. thanks for the tips... im gona try like hell tomorrow to get that bitch to burn.. thanks man...