Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Chip Burner question (minipro tl866)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip Burner question (minipro tl866)

Has anybody used or have any experience on the Minipro tl866cs chip burner, it has been featured on EEVBlog on youtube and was wondering if it could function to burn SST 27SF512 chips and if i would need to set anything special for the chip to perform in a p28 chipped ecu.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Chip Burner question (minipro tl866)

Did you ever figure this out? I've had the same question lately, but cannot figure it out. I have tried changing the offset values according to Moates' instructions, but I still have errors when attempting to burn a bin into the chip. I am also using an sst27sf512 with the tl866 along with the minipro software. Programming Chips Using Offsets « Moates Support
Old 08-02-2017, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danielr96
Did you ever figure this out? I've had the same question lately, but cannot figure it out. I have tried changing the offset values according to Moates' instructions, but I still have errors when attempting to burn a bin into the chip. I am also using an sst27sf512 with the tl866 along with the minipro software. Programming Chips Using Offsets « Moates Support
I have heard a few people say they successfully used the MiniPro to program EPROMs for Honda & Nissan tuning, but it seems to always vary on a case by case basis depending on the know how of the user. Personally I don't know why anyone would really even bother as the Burn2 is only a few more bucks and offers much greater ease of use as well as a great software if it's own from Moates for using it that is kept up and maintained very well. (Moates Flash & Burn)
Anyway, if a Burn2 isn't in the cards I would suggest reading and familiarizing yourself with how people use the Willem burners for Honda chips because the process seems to be similar/identical for the MiniPro.

Also, if you continue to have issues I would be more than happy to help you get your chips done. I have a large database of BINs from cars I've tuned at the shop so odds are I have a file that would work well for your setup, or you could send me a file and I can burn it for you. All you would need to do is cover shipping and $5 per chip. (I have a fairly decent stock pile of real SSTs but they're getting less and less abundant so I don't GIVE them away anymore like I used to years past but I still like to help fellow enthusiasts when possible.)

Good luck and like I said, if you can't find much info on the MiniPro use try searching for info on using the Willem and it should be similar procedure.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I happened to ask a Facebook group "Guild EFI Tuners" about this and they have gotten me squared away with burning chips with the MiniPro. It works great! Aside from not being able to connect it with crome and burn chips from there, I love it. Although, I do have another question which you may be able to help me with, since you seem to have a good amount of experience with chip burning -- how do you go about opening the 64k bins after reading them from the chip?

For example, I can burn a 32k bin into a chip and have the car operate properly, but when I read the chip and save its contents, it saves as 64k which cannot be opened by crome.

What I have been doing is opening the 64k bin with the notepad and erasing the first half of the document, which is just a bunch of consecutive "Y" and after I save it, it becomes a 32k bin which opens with crome.

Thanks a lot for your willingness to help me out! I am trying my best to learn as much as possible so I appreciate your generosity with your knowledge
Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I happened to ask a Facebook group "Guild EFI Tuners" about this and they have gotten me squared away with burning chips with the MiniPro. It works great! Aside from not being able to connect it with crome and burn chips from there, I love it. Although, I do have another question which you may be able to help me with, since you seem to have a good amount of experience with chip burning -- how do you go about opening the 64k bins after reading them from the chip?

For example, I can burn a 32k bin into a chip and have the car operate properly, but when I read the chip and save its contents, it saves as 64k which cannot be opened by crome.

What I have been doing is opening the 64k bin with the notepad and erasing the first half of the document, which is just a bunch of consecutive "Y" and after I save it, it becomes a 32k bin which opens with crome.

Thanks a lot for your willingness to help me out! I am trying my best to learn as much as possible so I appreciate your generosity with your knowledge

can you say how did you set it up with crome
Old 10-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have not set this up with crome, but I have found that it is not necessary as you can burn and read chips straight from the mini-pro software.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not set this up with crome, but I have found that it is not necessary as you can burn and read chips straight from the mini-pro software.
thanks for the answer but I broke down and bought a Burn2 from Moates a couple months back. It works great and I got my car tuned plus two others so far. I also found a decent price supplier of legit SST 27F on Amazon as well. Not sure if they have a store, but I know the seller name and have made a few transactions so far. eBay is filled with knock off chips that only burn once......or sometimes not at all. Beware.
The following users liked this post:
Adu