Notices

Quick trans question <<< Mfactory 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick trans question <<< Mfactory 1st gear

Im finalizing plans for my FI project and i have been debating constantly on a transmission setup. I currently have a jdm itr trans with the 4.7fd. I plan on a daily driver setup with about 300-350hp. I will be using traction bars.......

My question is regarding the Mfactory 3.070 1st gear thats available...... While my current first gear is a 3.230 would going to a 3.070 taller gear help the traction in first gear enough to consider it?

Again i will be using the oem itr lsd and traction bars as well as the necessary tires...... thanx in advanced.........
Old 08-20-2006, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Quick trans question <<< Mfactory 1st gear (slooogsr)

I have heard of alot of people using the stock trannies without any objections, but no real info.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:53 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Quick trans question <<< Mfactory 1st gear (slooogsr)

No your going to spin 1st and 2nd gear no matter what at that power level.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick trans question <<< Mfactory 1st gear (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No your going to spin 1st and 2nd gear no matter what at that power level.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah the open diff is what really kills traction on honda trannies, look into some type of lsd, it will complement the traction bars nicely and be 1million times more helpful in putting the power to the ground.

I know I can launch pretty hard in 1st and my lsd based tranny hooks up pretty quick (lil chirp, then ZOOM)

of course im sure a lot has to do with how you launch too, like ill launch in 1st but avoid boost just to hookup with the road then really slam it in 2nd....
Old 08-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick trans question <<< Mfactory 1st gear (turbotime)

itrs have LSD
Old 08-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Quick trans question <<< Mfactory 1st gear (93supercoupe)

BFG DRs seem to hookup at that power level fairly well. Can take a little throttle feathering in 1st/2nd though.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick trans question <<< Mfactory 1st gear (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">itrs have LSD</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but the gears are super-short, id go gsr with ls final drive and obx/quaife lsd

but thats just me....
Old 08-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx guys.....

Up for more opinions........
Old 08-20-2006, 12:17 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Quick trans question <<< Mfactory 1st gear (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah but the gears are super-short, id go gsr with ls final drive and obx/quaife lsd

but thats just me....</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool....you'll just get passed by the same setup with the itr tranny, too.

deff keep the tranny......a 4.4 wouldn't kill you, but you WANT the close gears. just get GOOD tires and staged boost
Old 08-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick trans question <<< Mfactory 1st gear (boosted94cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted94cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

cool....you'll just get passed by the same setup with the itr tranny, too.

deff keep the tranny......a 4.4 wouldn't kill you, but you WANT the close gears. just get GOOD tires and staged boost</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would you suggest the 1st gear Mfactory unit to help? Im curious whether it would fit the jdm trans as well......... i will have to email them.......

thanx for the advice guys, keep it coming.........

It wouldnt seem worth it to me to ditch the itr trans and buy a gsr w/ quaiffe, i would probably lose money in the long run.........
Old 08-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im just saying i have a gsr trans right now and although the close gears are nice, the tranny tops out very easily, highway pulls are almost scary cause you wander into the really high rpms in boost in 5th gear and thats no good

with the ls final drive you maintain the close gears but extend the 5th gear so you can achieve a higher top speed...

Its all personal preference, I cant stand cruising on the gsr trans (80mph = 4krpms) i cant even imagine the itr considering its shorter....

For me, my car being DD, its no all about who can go faster in a 1/4mi its a mix between comfort and speed i guess, a track car would be different.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:20 PM
* B A N N E D *

well, you're and idiot. doing 5th gear pulls on public roads is asking for trouble.....and anything you say in rebuttle will just further the fact of you being ignorant.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why do you care so much what other people do anyway. lots of people do stupid **** all the time. you don't have to get bent out of shape abt it. but yea i have a GSR trans w/quaiffe. def hate the high RPMs on the highway. BTW- a nice and good longer final drive and where can i get it from??
Old 08-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted94cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted94cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, you're and idiot. doing 5th gear pulls on public roads is asking for trouble.....and anything you say in rebuttle will just further the fact of you being ignorant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whoa there officer, i wasnt aware there were police on these boards. calm down. Assuming makes an *** of u and me.

I never said i was going 160mph on public roads, on a highway where the cruising speed is 80mph and you have a gsr tranny there is really very little headroom before you get into dangerous rpms. I wasnt even stating that in a racing aspect i meant cruising in general, in MD people on rt70 easily travel 80-90mph thats the speed of the flow of traffic so with a GSR trans your talkin about steady 4-4.5k rpms just for cruising- if you even want to accelerate at that speed it almost isnt even an option just cause of how its geared... plus its noisy as hell too!

Thats why i was suggesting the longer final drive aka ls final drive in gsr trans.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:38 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with the ls final drive you maintain the close gears but extend the 5th gear so you can achieve a higher top speed...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah.....jsut quoting you, idiot
Old 08-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted94cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah.....jsut quoting you, idiot</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ur a tool.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:09 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ur a tool. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how so? because i feel that a person basicaly openly admitting to driving veryyyyyyy carelessly is an idiot? because i feel that public saftey is more of a concern than some other ppl on this forum?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted94cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how so? because i feel that a person basicaly openly admitting to driving veryyyyyyy carelessly is an idiot? because i feel that public saftey is more of a concern than some other ppl on this forum?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, hes right, u r a tool. I was simply stating that with a higher top speed your cruising rpms would be lower, so you maintain the good side of close gears down low without the shitty cruising rpms i never said anything about racing or the like and your trying to frame it up that way... lame
Old 08-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

X2
Old 08-21-2006, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

back to topic please.......

this is a car that i travel back and forth to work on back country roads...........

the occasional trip will be made to the track as well........
Old 08-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah especially if you do a lot of DD on this trans i suggest the ls final drive. I dont know if it goes into the ITR but maybe the itr trans with the ls final drive? I know some other companies make final drive kits too but i read some horror story about one of them, i cant remember what company it was but the countershaft teeth got completely ruined and f*cked this guys tranny.

Try and keep those close gears and just widen up the 5th so it isnt super-annoying to street everyday
Old 08-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

turbotime, I completely understand what ur saying.

Crusing speed is critical in maintianing gas milage aswell as engine life and for some one to call u an idiot for expressing that fact is just as stupid as crusing a 5K all the time.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man, just trying to save the OP from having the awful cruising rpms im stuck with on my gsr trans [desperately awaiting winter so i can pull the trans and throw an ls FD in there]

hondas are supposed to get good gas mileage!