Notices

Quick question on Garrett's GT turbos and Innovative's SH61 BB

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question on Garrett's GT turbos and Innovative's SH61 BB

I'm deciding on a new turbo and I am deciding between an innovative BB SH61, Garrett GT30R or the 35R. Innovative said that the Garrett's CHRA are non serviceable and if anything would happen to the CHRA or the wheels it cannot be fixed. This seems like BS to me but is there any merit behind it? Final question, is the ITS dual BB CHRA worth the extra money?
Old 01-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:40 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: (Whitey.)

No. None of the BB CHRAs are servicable. Even Borg-Warner turbos that Innovative creates. It's not going to matter. The process that they are both created are extremely precise, and would have to be almost repurchased regardless..But they will still take it, "service" a new CHRA, and ship it back to you..

Go with either one, but the CHRAs are a one time deal. Just don't get cheap and not get the correct corresponding hardware to make sure it runs right.

Modified by TheShodan at 8:36 PM 1/12/2005
Old 01-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for more info
Old 01-11-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Quick question on Garrett's GT turbos and Innovative's SH61 BB (Whitey.)

i say go with the gt35R it's a sweet turbo and any turbo can be redone
by a shop you just have to find one and yes there's a lot of BS out there.
how ever it will take quite a wile for them to go bad any how so go have fun!!
Old 01-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick question on Garrett's GT turbos and Innovative's SH61 BB (rothjpkb)

You really don't hear too much about the ITS turbos. From what I read on the dual BB CHRA's sounds like they are real good. Are they really that much better than the Garrett's and if they are when aren't more people running them?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the main thing about the market would be the entry fee or price
Old 01-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Quick question on Garrett's GT turbos and Innovative's SH61 BB (rothjpkb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rothjpkb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i say go with the gt35R it's a sweet turbo and any turbo can be redone
by a shop you just have to find one and yes there's a lot of BS out there.
how ever it will take quite a wile for them to go bad any how so go have fun!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

um, wrong. the bb chra cannot be serviced if damaged, read up a little before you go spreading false information
Old 01-14-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Quick question on Garrett's GT turbos and Innovative's SH61 BB (wantboost)

Guys,
The fact of the matter is that the ball bearing CHRA's we sell as a Garrett Performance Distributor are indeed serviceable. There aren't a lot of people who can do this . . . and you don't want to be trying this at home . . . but we service everything we sell.

I wouldn't throw stones at a competitor as you indicate Innovative has done with us, but there are 3 different ball bearing systems on the market right now. Turbonetics uses a single, ceramic coated ball bearing with a traditional thrust bearing, Innovative uses a dual ball bearing CHRA with a ball bearing thrust bearing and Garrett uses a dual ball bearing cartridge system without a thrust bearing.

To get into this further, the catridge that Garrett uses is a single sleeve type system with a set of angular contact ball bearings on either end whereas the traditional bearing system contains a set of journal bearings and a thrust bearing.

The Garrett system offers exceptionally crisp and strong throttle response, a reduced need for oil flow (which lessens the possibility for seal leakage), is more tolerant of marginal lube conditions and ihas greatly improved rotordynamics and durability. This system is standard equipment in many OE applications and has rec'd rave reviews worldwide for its unprecedented performance.

If you buy it, we have no doubt you'll be pleased . . . and we service what we sell. Please call if you have any other questions or concerns.

Rod Short
Sales Manager
Precision Turbo
(219) 996-7832

Old 01-14-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Quick question on Garrett's GT turbos and Innovative's SH61 BB (wantboost)

rong any turbo yes ANY turbo can be taken apart and fixed i never
sed that it's easy to find some one to do it but that it an be done and
i'v all reddy been thanked by a distibuter for this post and if you still
do not beleave i'll call them just let me know then i'll call and get back
to you
Old 01-14-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Quick question on Garrett's GT turbos and Innovative's SH61 BB (Rod Short)

and THANK YOU Rod Short