Notices

questions after becoming boosted

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions after becoming boosted

Hey guys, I normally don't let my face appear here b/c I get a lot of answers in the Prelude section....But anyways here is my problem...I have searched but couldn't seem to get a definate breakdown to my question so here is my setup and then will be my question.

F22a1:
log manifold
t3/t4 garrett oil and water cooled 50 trim and .48ar on exhaust
2.5" intercooler piping
FMIC
Turbo XS-H-RFL Blow off valve
DSM 450cc blue top injectors
Walbro 255lph Fuel pump

When i first started the car up with a basemap from a guy that has almost exact setup as mine it ran fine. No smoke to speak of, now after about 2 weeks of it runing I have developed a smoking problem which seems to increase as the days go by. It is blue smoke and it doesn't do this all the time. I do not have any smoke worth mentioning when around or close to 0 pounds of vacum and also no smoke with in positive pressure. When I downshift to decelerate it seems to start here and also when I'm at idle it will puff some out, sometimes it will pour it out.... I do not think that it is my rings b/c in the past when witnessing rings going they would smoke at all times, mine only does it in vacuum. I had the head worked before doing the setup on my car and they did a valve job, valve guides, valve stem seals, and also shaved just enough to make it a perfect flat surface (well between specs listed). What could be causing my engine to smoke while idleing, turbo seals? When I bought the turbo it said that it had been rebuilt, and there was markings on the turbine wheel that looked apparent to have been rebuilt. Granted he could have made the markings himself, but I have given him the benefit of doubt b/c I wouldn't screw someone over like that. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. And thank you ahead of time!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: questions after becoming boosted (thomas188)

Oh and let me add that the car still runs good, runs great, just smokes when decelerates and while at idle. hmmm well what idle it has, jumps from 1k-2k even after cleaning IACV and tightening the FIAV
Old 02-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it still could be ringlands. do a compression and leakdown test and let us know how it comes out. also pull your charge piping off where it connects to the turbo and see if there is any oil.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Either rings or turbo seals...
Old 02-08-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

this isnt good news...lol... well i just drove it and it doesnt seem to be doing it as much right now. I will get those tests done and check the IC piping for oil and pray to god its that...if not the F22a1's are dirt cheap anyways
Old 02-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you running a catch can? My low compression turbo D use to smoke a little after a lot of decel because it would suck crap out of the catchcan and burn it. I doubt you're running a catchcan with it hooked up to recirculate like I was but if you're not running one at all you should look into it. If your rings are only hurting a little bit they can still be saved.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you saying that you started it on basemap and it ran fine and then you got it tuned, or are you telling us that you drove a boosted car around for two weeks on a basemap and you are now wondering why you are blowing blue smoke?
Old 02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions after becoming boosted (. a d a m)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . a d a m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you saying that you started it on basemap and it ran fine and then you got it tuned, or are you telling us that you drove a boosted car around for two weeks on a basemap and you are now wondering why you are blowing blue smoke?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it's the second one...which is scary. Maybe you should come here with your questions to begin with...
Old 02-08-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: questions after becoming boosted (JDM_EH2)

No i do not have a tune from my tuner at this moment. It is just the exact same tune from my friends but with a little increase in fuel useage to compensate for possibility of running lean. When I say two weeks I do not mean that I drive it everyday, it has been driven maybe 30 miles, prolly not even that though. I do not have a catch can either. I have another vehicle to get me from A to B and my prelude has only left the yard a few times since starting with the setup. I am trying to make sure everything seems fine on it before I drive it to my tuner b/c he is located in Huntsville AL which is 4 hours and 15 mins from my house. I did not want to put everything and just hop in the car and drive it that far. I pulled the engine to paint the bay, then put bearings in, reassembled everything and put a new exedy clutch kit in. So to solve the little confusion it hasn't been driven as a daily driver car for 2 weeks, but that it has been driven for like maybe 30 miles in 2 weeks.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:04 AM

what exactly is a catch can and how does it work?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thomas188 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No i do not have a tune from my tuner at this moment. It is just the exact same tune from my friends but with a little increase in fuel useage to compensate for possibility of running lean. When I say two weeks I do not mean that I drive it everyday, it has been driven maybe 30 miles, prolly not even that though. I do not have a catch can either. I have another vehicle to get me from A to B and my prelude has only left the yard a few times since starting with the setup. I am trying to make sure everything seems fine on it before I drive it to my tuner b/c he is located in Huntsville AL which is 4 hours and 15 mins from my house. I did not want to put everything and just hop in the car and drive it that far. I pulled the engine to paint the bay, then put bearings in, reassembled everything and put a new exedy clutch kit in. So to solve the little confusion it hasn't been driven as a daily driver car for 2 weeks, but that it has been driven for like maybe 30 miles in 2 weeks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In those 30 miles did you beat on it at all?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1199935

the official crankcase evacuation thread, read
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 AM

hey guys I did a compression test and here were the results yielded from the test... 180, 180, 178, 180.....these are really good numbers and are in spec to honda specifications for the f22..... When I did my head work before putting the turbo on I changed out the headgasket with a felpro one and its leaking a little around the timing belt area where the head meets the block....I went and bought a new OEM headgasket today and have already recieved my ARP head studs so I will do that and it should stop what head lift I'm thinking I have. I am getting oil around the sparkplug holes after putting new gaskets in it so I dont know if I'm getting to much pressure in the valve cover or what? Im also getting more smoke from the engine after driving, Im starting to think that it might be time for a turbo rebuild...I also bought new oil return and feed lines to replace the ones that I have on it...The current ones limit the turbos movement in which doesn't allow it to be perpendicular to the ground so that is probably causing the oil to get caught up in it a little and in which probably made my seals go faster. Or this is what I assume. With numbers in spec on the cylinder compression would you safely say that my rings are fine? My spark plugs look to be running ideally without the fouled from rich look nor the lean look. What could Oil in the spark plug boots be caused by after changing the valve cover gaskets and replacing the o-rings?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thomas188)

Someone already answered you. You have pressure issues. Get a catchcan on there, or some way for the VC to vent itself. Check the thread two posts up.

If it was your rings, you might still be able to save them.