Notices

Questions about Autometer gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 10:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Autometer gauges

I have a couple of questions actually.

I plan on buying a Electrical Fuel, Oil, EGT, gauges, and for boost it doesn't really matter to me if it's mech or elect. is there really one better for boost gauges?

Is there anything more specific I should look for? Can I simply just order a.. for EXample: a Electrical Fuel gauge 2/16 then that's it? I know I want Full Sweep gauges but is there anymore little things I need to keep my eye on like how they measure the readings whether or not you read it as PSI or whatever?
It's a weird question, I'm not sure I understand myself.

Also what is the difference between Phantom gaugse and say... sport comp ultralite. Is it just looks and that's all or is there some actual function?

Old 04-26-2002, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (Snafu-Si)

electical gauges are not full sweep and you dont get a exact number with them. The ultras and phantoms are the same, just a different look. The phantom gauges have a white face, so if you put a color cap on the bulb, the face lights up that color at night.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (ninesecrx)

I think that most people on this board favor something like Greddy/Apex/Blitz for the EGT because Autometer's does not go up in temp far enough... Now for the others I've never used them so I wouldn't know...

David- who needs to replace his Greddy EGT after losing the probe part
Old 04-27-2002, 12:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (ninesecrx)

electical gauges are not full sweep and you dont get a exact number with them. The ultras and phantoms are the same, just a different look. The phantom gauges have a white face, so if you put a color cap on the bulb, the face lights up that color at night.
I saw a whole buncha full sweep electrical gauges in their catalog. http://www.autometer.com/hp/2002_catalog/105/105.html
Old 04-27-2002, 11:13 AM
New User

i want this boost gauge! i hate having that little tube running everywhere, just gives me bad feelings

EDIT: oh yeah and i like the fact that it only goes up to 15psi instead of my current 20psi gauge, because i don't anticipate ever boosting more than that!

the oil pressure and temp gauges i believe are not labeled as full sweep but they work fine. for fuel pressure you MUST get full-sweep. they also have a fuel pressure gauge with peak/hold memory which you may want.

-Xerxes

[Modified by Xerxes, 8:13 PM 4/27/2002]
Old 04-27-2002, 12:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (Xerxes)

What does this Peak/hold memory thingy mean?
Old 04-27-2002, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What does this Peak/hold memory thingy mean?
Displays the peak value the gauge went up to.
Old 04-27-2002, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (Xerxes)

The autometer mechanical boost gauge is horrible. It doesn't display boost accurately. When my needle is settled, when the car is off, the needle sits 1psi in the vaccuum area. I'm not sure if the needle is sweeping correctly either. I'm opting for a Greddy or considering buying a slew of Defi BF link gauges.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (CRXRageD)

Man.. that sucks. Do you think electrical boost would be better then?
Old 04-27-2002, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (CRXRageD)

The autometer mechanical boost gauge is horrible. It doesn't display boost accurately. When my needle is settled, when the car is off, the needle sits 1psi in the vaccuum area. I'm not sure if the needle is sweeping correctly either. I'm opting for a Greddy or considering buying a slew of Defi BF link gauges.
Me too. And when in boost the needle jumps around from 0-6 psi--never a smooth reading, kinda like its getting hung up somewhere. I plan on going with maybe the Apex since they offer gauges that run in psi rather than bar. Or Defi, but I could have my block sleeved for the price of 3 of them
Old 04-27-2002, 11:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (93LSivic)

Does anybody have a electrical boost gauge?
Old 04-27-2002, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (93LSivic)

Autometer and Autogauge meters are the cheapest things you can buy over here. They're so cheap that all the ricers buy them to stick in their cars, so I chose to go with something a bit more 'different'.. I have used an autometer boost meter in the past, and it fucked up my engine.. while the meter was reading 7psi, the car was actually boosting at 12psi. Another reason why I never touch ANY autometer products anymore.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (nathan's boosted civic)

Yeah, I have heard some bad things about, say.. about.... 1 in every 10 people will have a major complaint. But most of the time, it's cause they isntalled it incorrectly or missed something small.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Dude, I know that Autometer may not be the best, but most of the time, they work, most of the time. I appreciate the warning and I will make sure that doesn't happen but.....

I'd like to buy some Defi gauges, or some of those new BLITZ DC gauges! But, in the real world, I'm not rich, I don't drive a Ferrari 360 Modena, I don't eat Lobster everynight, I don't live in a big house, and I'm not married to Brooke Burke. No sir, in the real world, I never have enough money, I drive a Civic, I eat microwave dinners, I live with my parents, and I sleep by my damn self.

So until I can afford guages that on AVERAGE are 3 times more than Autometers, .. the Autometers will have to do for now. They work... most of the time.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some people are just born unlucky. I guess i'm that 1 in 10 person who gets the f*cked up meters. It was installed properly, i'm absolutely sure of that. I'm using Sard meters now, and they're working fine. Easier to read too, since the boost readings are in bar. 1.1 - 1.3 bar is easier to read than trying to count the lines between 14psi and 18psi

Haha maybe the autometer products that failed QC were shipped over to asia.. who knows?
Old 04-28-2002, 09:01 AM

I'll put in a plug for Autometer to ease your mind. I've had a boost and air/fuel from them for over 2 years now. Everything reads fine, responds well, etc.

If you can, the electrics are the way to go.......as well as full sweep (if available). But those are about 3 times the price as the mechanicals so it defeats the purpose of trying to save some $$$.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (ck279)

So far, they are about the same for electrical, some are about 10-20 bucks more expenisve but that is about it.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Does anybody know of a good place to buy Defi Gauges cheap?
Old 04-28-2002, 06:11 PM

this is where i bought mine: http://www.xs-engineering.com/asp/special.asp 30% off msrp

edit: you can check msrp prices here http://www.machv.com/defigauges.html

[Modified by Trigun, 7:14 PM 4/28/2002]
Old 04-28-2002, 06:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (Trigun)

Cool, thanks for the links. I'll check them out.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Holy ****, no matter what, Defi Gauges are alwasy sooooo much more expensive, but 30% is quite a deal, if I were rich, I would buy them but too many things to pay for already... Damn.. too bad, .. I really like those DEFI's.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:17 AM

Yeah, i have a mechanical autometer boost gauge and it's very slow to respond and readings tend to vary depending on the alignment of the planets, night and day etc. One of my freinds has an HKS boost gauge in his Celica GT-Four and it is far faster, and always zeros perfectly.

Has anyone tried the Autometer electronic boost gauge????
Old 04-29-2002, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Questions about Autometer gauges (marklamond)

My Autometer mechanical boost guage and electric fuel pressure guage work fine,no complaints here.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:33 AM

I hear about Autometers being cheaper than the rest but it's not that cheap if you go with electric full sweep. Anybody with these run into issues? I bought boost, egt with separate temp sensor, and fuel pressure gauges and the cheapest I could find them was for $470 or so. That is only because I bought two of the gauges (both new) from sellers on different prelude forums. Are the others that much better/accurate?

I have yet to install these but was just wondering if these Autometer gauges are going to give me problems later.

[Modified by Anubyss, 9:34 AM 4/29/2002]
Old 04-29-2002, 06:50 AM
JT

I originally had the Autometer half sweep boost and fuel pressure gauges and they were not very accurate. I later replaced both gauages with Autometer electrical full sweep fuel pressure, and mechanical full sweep 30vac/20boost. Maybe I got lucky but I think the full sweep gauges are super accurate. In fact, the boost gauge is so accurate, it matches the boost value in Hondalogger when I was playing with my Hondata.

Quick Reply: Questions about Autometer gauges