Notices

Question for turbo EF Full-Race radiator users

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for turbo EF Full-Race radiator users

I'm planning a B-series turbo build for my EE wagon and wanted to know if anyone had overheating issues using the Full-Race radiator?

My car will be a street driven/weekend car with several trips to the drag strip but not daily driven. My goal is 400-450hp. I already have the Full-Race radiator and traction bar. My current setup is N/A LSVTEC and it did start to overheat once on a really hot day(90 degrees) after doing a burnout at he track. At that time I was using a cheapy 10" puller slim fan which may have contributed to the problem. Since then I replaced that fan with a 12" puller fan from SPAL and had an aluminum shroud made. Have not had a problem since then but I know a turbo setup will generate considerably more heat.

My dilemma is that I don't want to start building a turbo setup around this radiator only to find out it may have overheating issues. Advice and suggestions preferably from people with personal experience using this radiator are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by littlewagon; 07-21-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question for turbo EF Full-Race radiator users

The radiator itself doesnt really make that big of a difference, but the main thing is to get a good, quality fan. I have an eBay CXRacing radiator and anice 12" fan(no shroud) and have never had any overheating problems. I have a 170* thermostat on my sleeved 2.0L engine. Fans are set to turn on at 180* and temp usually hovers around 185-190.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch
The radiator itself doesnt really make that big of a difference, but the main thing is to get a good, quality fan. I have an eBay CXRacing radiator and anice 12" fan(no shroud) and have never had any overheating problems. I have a 170* thermostat on my sleeved 2.0L engine. Fans are set to turn on at 180* and temp usually hovers around 185-190.
I would like to add that most of the time someone has a QUEEEFLOAD of air in their system that needs to be let out.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:34 PM
met
Honda-Tech Member

I have an ek, but I cut metal away to fit a 13" spal its rated at 1750cfm setup as a pusher it was the best I could find.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input guys. There is a notable difference in size/surface area between an EG half size radiator and a EF Full-Race. I cannot fit a 13" SPAL fan on this radiator. This is were my concern lies since I would either have to cut into the cars lower radiator support and/or lean the radiator back in order to fit the EG half size. I would prefer not to do this if the Full-Race radiator is sufficient for my needs.

Any other Full-Race radiator users out there who would like to comment?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by littlewagon
Thanks for the input guys. There is a notable difference in size/surface area between an EG half size radiator and a EF Full-Race. I cannot fit a 13" SPAL fan on this radiator. This is were my concern lies since I would either have to cut into the cars lower radiator support and/or lean the radiator back in order to fit the EG half size. I would prefer not to do this if the Full-Race radiator is sufficient for my needs.

Any other Full-Race radiator users out there who would like to comment?
I'll let you know in a month or so, hopefully mine is installed by then =/ You have an EF traction bar from them right? I was well advised not to do the ghetto lean.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^Thanks, I would greatly appreciate that.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car will get hot after a pass at the track, but I also have a Precision 750hp intercooler blocking most of the airflow to the radiator. How big of an intercooler are you planning on using? You might want to consider ways of getting fresh airflow to the radiator instead of heated intercooler air.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Redline130
My car will get hot after a pass at the track, but I also have a Precision 750hp intercooler blocking most of the airflow to the radiator. How big of an intercooler are you planning on using? You might want to consider ways of getting fresh airflow to the radiator instead of heated intercooler air.
If someone knows a heating and air guy(I am one) they can grab some thin sheet metal from them and make ducts to direct air flow to the radiator. Depending on how my setup works for me this is what I'll be doing. The negative side of this is that it may create a lot of drag from air resistance. I'm sure others can chime in who have already done this.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Redline130
I was thinking of the Precision 600hp intercooler but have not settled on anything yet. Still in the planning stages so nothing is set in stone. Just want to make sure I research the products and there compatibility before I start buying anything.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never had an issue with that rad in my brothers ef. B-series, with a 3.5" thick intercooler in front of the radiator.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the traction bar/rad set up in my turbo crx with the same power you're looking for. I have a pretty crappy slim fan and my car only starts to overheat in traffic on hot days. If I had a nicer/stronger fan I don't think i would have any problems.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 500HP set up and do have over heating issues. I'm personally a little dissapointed in the full-race radiator. But the bay in a CRX is pretty tight. I've driven my car without the bumper and no overheating issues though, so its air flow for sure. I have a FAL fan and it's on the whole time.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input. Seems like its 50/50 so far. More input and comments welcomed.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine did try to get hot as well after a pass or driving for a period of time then coming to a stop, IC was blocking most of the air to radiator so I cut a 2x10inch size hole on the hood in front of radiator and it stoped the issue.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^Thanks for your suggestion. Any pics of your setup?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont have any pics as I am in process of converting to jdm front end, however I am convinced that the gap in between the hood and filler will serve the same purpose as hole in usdm hood I cut as far as getting more air to the radiator. I will also prop the hood to better help the cooling.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for any more input!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shroud it for the fan. Very important, the rad is pretty small and covered well by the intercooler, unless you leave a path for air to get to the rad. Make sure the air has no way to go when it gets through the IC except through the rad, don't just rely on the fan.