Notices

Question regaurding rebuilding of motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regaurding rebuilding of motor

The motor is a B18, and I was thinking of rebuilding it to handle mild boost, 350hp area, give or take. Now, I live in an isolated area of my province, and my question is would I be able to drive on a stock ecu, until I trailered the car to get tuned?

And by driving, I mean, 100 miles, if even that at max. I'm not looking at a flame fest in this thread, just a general question. I'm a V8 guy who's looking to be the under dog.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Question regaurding rebuilding of motor (ef`rolla)

It only takes 1-2 seconds when you hit boost to destroy your engine if you drive it on a stock ecu.

If for whatever reason you need to drive your car after you put the turbo on it, you can get away with driving it without a wastegate spring. With no wastegate spring, all you exhaust will flow out your wastegate and not through your turbo so it wont spool to make boost. It is possible to hit 1-2psi with no wg spring at full throttle so it is important to drive your car very easily.

So to answer your question you can drive it but only if you remove your wg spring until you get tuned.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you sir. I actually had no intentions of putting the turbo on, just putting a DC header my friend has kicking around for time being to let the motor have a few running cycles through it.

I guess I should've posted in my original post for more clarafication.