Notices

Question: Ever done Before? Carbon Fiber Charge Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: Ever done Before? Carbon Fiber Charge Pipe

hey well i was just wondering if anyone has ever doen this before, why or why not a good idea. JW if the jays/password jdm intake chamber would be good for a turbo'd car charge pipe.. See diagram of how id like to use it. I thought the chamber is the best vortex of air, so how come no1 has ever mixed N/A engineering with FI? ALSO cf is agood disapator of heat.... I could hook up the bov near the intercooler, or lower on the charge piping....

Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reasons why i think n/a isnt mixed...the vortex you speak of helps air w/ no pressure scavenge and roll into the manifold...whereas in a boosted senario you want as less turbulent areas as possible...hence the round pipe...this huge tube you speak off would cause the flow to slow down...and at the last place you want it to...get very unstable...hence why i doubt youve ever seen it this way...but what do i know...its just my thoughs on it all
Old 03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drumking15)

awsome thanksf or the info

just a question i had

therefore for air flow in turbo systems.. uw ant the MOST direct straight paths?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: (DarkBB4)

correct...and the bends you want to be as smooth as possible...and when you clamps your charge piping together...you want the piping to actaully almost touch...so there isnt a change in the id of the pipe around the coupler area...because it creates turbulence...same thing goes for welding slag...you dont want it creatin interference in the piping
Old 03-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drumking15)

you mean something like this??

sorry had to edit the pic, the owner will remain anonymous at his request

Old 03-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

that piping looks to me to be laid over an aluminum piece, you can sgtill see the welds, and by the throttle body placement looks to also have an air research manifold. please correct me if im wrong
Old 03-21-2006, 08:23 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (miller)

That piping is overlayed...ive talked to the owner before about it
Old 03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PhoenixTurboJesse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhoenixTurboJesse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That piping is overlayed...ive talked to the owner before about it
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Functionable? Or bling factor?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (miller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that piping looks to me to be laid over an aluminum piece, you can sgtill see the welds, and by the throttle body placement looks to also have an air research manifold. please correct me if im wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it is overlaid, but it still looks pretty good for being done at home, and i cannot confirm nor deny the intake manifold

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhoenixTurboJesse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That piping is overlayed...ive talked to the owner before about it
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i should have known you would know whos car it is
Old 03-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not too sure about the piping, but I like the color of the car.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you mean something like this??

sorry had to edit the pic, the owner will remain anonymous at his request

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That looks like that jkobd guys car Jason or something.
It runs an a.i.r. manifold and full race turbo manifold, don't remember if it was topmount or not.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sihatch19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sihatch19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That looks like that jkobd guys car Jason or something.
It runs an a.i.r. manifold and full race turbo manifold, don't remember if it was topmount or not.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope, same color, but it actually is an intercooler protype blower set up this is the reason for the anonymity
Old 03-23-2006, 07:25 PM
i HAS questions ?

I believe Morgan at Synapse Motorsport and Jesse at Phoenix Turbo have messed around with carbon fiber charge piping before. If I remember correctly though, they said it was too much of a hassle.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (daveG)

its arguable that cf piping would help...now i know you were talking about the na intake being used for part of the charge piping but that has already been covered, but that being said other than being liightweight carbon fiber would transfer heat really well...the question is will it transfer heat into your intake charge or out of the charge into the engine bay. tough question for me
Old 03-24-2006, 12:44 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (daveG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daveG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe Morgan at Synapse Motorsport and Jesse at Phoenix Turbo have messed around with carbon fiber charge piping before. If I remember correctly though, they said it was too much of a hassle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was 100% just for cosmetics...im not gonna argue any performance standpoint
Old 03-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Ever done Before? Carbon Fiber Charge Pipe (DarkBB4)

I know of someone that had actually made his piping out of Carbon Fiber and that's it... He never completely finished the product and boosted it but he did make the piping... It was never tested or anything either... But it looked pretty cool....
Old 03-24-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Question: Ever done Before? Carbon Fiber Charge Pipe (Split Image Prez)

Jesse and I made that pipe a longtime ago, I am currently working on a cf piping kit, there will be dyno testing with it, so we can see how functional it really is. Look for the pipes this summer
Old 03-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Ever done Before? Carbon Fiber Charge Pipe (Synapse Motorsport)

I think the only thing it would add is more boost lag.....it works in an NA setup because it is bigger piping going into a smaller chamber when this happens it causes a drop in pressure resulting in an increase in velocity of the air so the air is traveling faster into the ports, but on a turbocharged vehicle I would think that the manifold pressure is going to be fairly constant and all that tube would be is just more space to pressurize....I really don't know anything about this but that is just my 2 cents
Old 03-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question: Ever done Before? Carbon Fiber Charge Pipe (gnar kill)

Mpire or whatever his name was has carbon piping.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:04 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Question: Ever done Before? Carbon Fiber Charge Pipe (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mpire or whatever his name was has carbon piping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was me..a few names ago