Notices

Question about Type R Valve Springs and Retainers

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Type R Valve Springs and Retainers

should I be concerned about using type r valve springs and retainers to achieve 400-500whp? I got different opinions from friends that said they can easily handle that much power but again they do not have a 400-500whp car that is using type r valve springs and retainers and other friends said that it can handle that much power, so at this point I am not sure if I should just keep them and use them or sell them and get an aftermarket ones. I will start building my engine tomorrow but just wanted get some opinions on the type r valve spring and retainers.

I am planning to rev up to 8k max on my b20/b16 turbo
Old 12-17-2015, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about Type R Valve Springs and Retainers

The valve train should hold well at 8k and at that power. I would worry more about the bottom end at that HP, especially if it's a stock b20 block.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bcintron95
The valve train should hold well at 8k and at that power. I would worry more about the bottom end at that HP, especially if it's a stock b20 block.
for the bottom end I will install eagle rods and supertech 9.5:1 Pistons
Old 12-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Todallybuilt
for the bottom end I will install eagle rods and supertech 9.5:1 Pistons
Then you should be good. As for the 8k rpm max, I would rev until it stops making power, but you and your tuner will talk about that. Btw what cams are your running?
Old 12-17-2015, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then you should be good. As for the 8k rpm max, I would rev until it stops making power, but you and your tuner will talk about that. Btw what cams are your running?
gsr cams
Old 12-17-2015, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Todallybuilt
gsr cams
You'll be fine. GSR cams make power past 8k but you shouldnt worry about it tho, your valve train can handle it.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll be fine. GSR cams make power past 8k but you should worry about it tho, your valve train can handle it.
thanks dude
Old 12-17-2015, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck to your sleeves, hope you're running e85 :p
Old 12-17-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

It's not a question based upon power, really. It's a matter of the camshaft matching with those valvesprings/retainers for the rpm range you plan to use for your power goals that you're trying to find.

So, in essence, to answer your question.. Short answer is "YES", with an if... Long answer, "NO"... with a but..

Short Answer YES--- "IF"

-the powerband that you're going for can effectively make power/torque before 8K maximum for extended periods of times without causing valve float.

-your gearing can still be effective in 4th gear to where you're not "bouncing" at 8K to pass the finish line.

-the turbocharger you plan to use can keep its effective powerband range between 5K-8K.

Longer answer "NO" with a "BUT"

- until you DO change the valvetrain to more robust components with a higher seat pressure, you will eventually still experience valvefloat that may cause damage to the valves or cause other catastrophic failures

- as long as you keep the camshaft to no larger than a Type R until you DO change that valvetrain. And when you do change, make sure that you've chosen the new camshaft you plan to run first (no trying the "I'll change that part later, right now I don't have the budget" - type of thinking: It'll put you backwards in the game).

- the Type R valvetrain will last as long as you don't float the valves, and bounce off limiter. The minute you do that, no matter which turbocharger you're getting, you're on borrowed time.

To sum up:
Honestly, if you're trying to race in these classes that AZ_CIVIC is stating, save the money, get the right valvetrain for the camshaft you're using for now, AND later. If you plan on staying Type R for the camshaft, be it new or old, use the correct valvetrain. If you're going any more than that, then plan ahead and get the valvetrain needed for the right camshaft you plan to use, and sell the Type Rs to help fund the new cylinder head components.