Notices

Question about TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about TURBO

roughly how much lbs of oil pressure should go into the turbo? i might have blown my seals having not enough? maybe? i'm running the turbo in the back trunk..
Old 01-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question about TURBO (SpoolinEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolinEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">roughly how much lbs of oil pressure should go into the turbo? i might have blown my seals having not enough? maybe? i'm running the turbo in the back trunk..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am under the assumption that too much oil pressure will blow the seals, not sure if too little can blow the seals, but I know it would harm it.

Your running the turbo in the back trunk? What do you mean?
Old 01-09-2006, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Question about TURBO (AbitAvenger)

well nto in the back of the trunk but under where the muffler use to be?

anyone??
Old 01-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why you running the turbo all the way back there? Wouldnt it lag alot more?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:36 PM

I never seen that before...
Old 01-09-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Re: (b18c5GT2871R)

oh ****. (zips up flame suit)
Old 01-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about TURBO (EVIL Hx Coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EVIL Hx Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why you running the turbo all the way back there? Wouldnt it lag alot more?</TD></TR></TABLE>

so it will be easy for people to steal

this has been covered before

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1214177

platinum.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about TURBO (platinum00)

damn, thats real dangerous. think of all the debris thats going to get in there, and all the piping/oil lines your going to have to run that could get harmed during driving.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do all the research before you flame the setup. STS turbo kit on a 02 ZO6 went low nines at almost 160 driven to the track on DR's. Just because it's not common doesn't mean it doesn't work.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

Why put it back there if it fits under the hood? I understand it being back there on a Z06, or any other car with no room under the hood, but why would you do it with a honda where you can fit a full size midget under the hood???
Old 01-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

hes running a very very large t4 at the end of the xhuast stream.. gotta be laggy.

and how did you do the return line?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay_Sensing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do all the research before you flame the setup. STS turbo kit on a 02 ZO6 went low nines at almost 160 driven to the track on DR's. Just because it's not common doesn't mean it doesn't work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A turbo Z06 that runs 9's? Not impressed. People run 9's on the LS6 all-motor. In that case I don't see how the turbo is helping.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beepy)

Now that I read about it, I still think it's a dumb idea....
Old 01-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I read that entire post that Platinum posted up above and I still would NEVER use that kit. Turbo dont just spool by the fact that there are exhaust gases hitting the turbine wheel. A turbo spools by the exhaust gasses expanding and impinging on the wheel. This setup would waste a lot of heat energy that could be used to spool the turbo. Sure, there's no reason why it wouldn't work but for me there would be no way, for many reasons like: Having to change the whole setup to accomodate that turbo setup, ic piping length running back and forth, clearance to the road, easy access for thieves and many more, I would never run it but hey.............different strokes for different folks i guess. Just my opinion.
Ryan
Old 01-10-2006, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Teglove2)

i think that is the stupidest thing ive ever seen to date. Big V8 or V10 cars with no room in the bay I can see as a solution, but there is no reason for this on a Honda
Old 01-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (PM-Performance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PM-Performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think that is the stupidest thing ive ever seen to date. Big V8 or V10 cars with no room in the bay I can see as a solution, but there is no reason for this on a Honda</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even on a V8 car (think camaro) with no room its not a very good solution at all.

the kinetic energy of the exhaust is only a little part of the energy spinning the turbine. The adiabatic pressure drop where the expanding gas dumps it's energy is the main force of the turbo and nothing else. The turbocharger is a heat device, not a waterwheel.

What about the air filter and road debris and water contamination of filter? Also what about the water splashing on that hot turbine housing? It is castiron couldn't that cause cracking?

You will at the very least need a scavenge pump that is designed for hot oil. think $$$$ $600-$1000 pretty easy right there.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flood)

I agree I dont think its a good idea at all. But more pheasable for something with no room in the bay. I still think its stupid
Old 01-10-2006, 08:15 AM

I'm running a 3AN oil line to feed my turbo.

-Nick
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PM-Performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree I dont think its a good idea at all. But more pheasable for something with no room in the bay. I still think its stupid</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even if you have no room under the hood, it would be better just to spend the money on better parts for the engine.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Question about TURBO

this is why it's called an "EXPERIMENT"..i have tons of time at school..my bro being in the mechanic program and me in the autobody program(painted my car myself,pics on request)..so he/i thought we'd try it..we have discount on piping which is also already done..and tools that we're able to use..welder,pipe bender,saw, tools.etc..but my question is still..about how much PSI should the oil line have? or needed..flame if you must..just something i/my bro wanted to try out..so we can say"we've tried"..now we want to succeed..
Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolinEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i might have blown my seals having not enough? maybe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The draining of the oil is vital, any block or inability to remove the oil from the bearing housing and the floating bearings will be over oiled, pushing oil into the turbine and compressor

And just because someone has a different opinion on something doesn't make it a flame.

Modified by flood at 9:22 AM 1/11/2006
Old 01-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not enough = seized bearing.... to much = blown seal.

You need an oil scavenge sump for that setup... and its a waste of your time....regardless how much you have.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Question about TURBO (splitime)

I was at a local shop yesterday purchasing parts for the rest of my build. One of the guys that works at the shop had a completely build 11:1+ compression built LS with a similar setup. The whole think was obviously a dry sump oil setup. The idea is that it's like a high powered N/A engine down low and a turbo car up top. His setup was SUPER clean.. I wish I could've taken pictures. I'd have to talk to him a bit more about it to discover exactly what he's trying to accomplish, but it looked absolutely sick.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Question about TURBO (ccivic)

Are you running a line from the block to the turbo? If so stock pressure connected to a 3AN line is what most people use. With it being such a long feed you may want to use a 4AN line.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A turbo Z06 that runs 9's? Not impressed. People run 9's on the LS6 all-motor. In that case I don't see how the turbo is helping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you kidding me? A Z06 that breaks into the high 9's at around 135 MPH with a borderline unstreetable cam and motor setup vs. a turbo car running bottom 9's at 160 MPH that is very streetable with a small hydro roller cam, the all motor car doesn't have **** on that.

Quick Reply: Question about TURBO