Question about Nitrous Systems! Help would be greatly appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Nitrous Systems! Help would be greatly appreciated!

I know this a honda forum, so please dont hate on me, im asking you guys because i know this forum is filled with a bunch of VERY knowledgeable people, and any question i've ever had you guys always helped me and always were correct. With that said please dont hate on me, im jus trying to do whats best for my car.

So... i have a 3000GT base model (DOHC 3.0L, manual)

my question is : from your experiences and knowledge at hand.. what do you think is the safest/most reliable nitrous kit out there for my car? I will hardly be using it, maybe 1-4 times a month (if that), so i assume it wont wear my engine to bad. I just want to be sure my engines gonna be safe..so does anyone know a kit/manufacturer i should look into thats known for reliability/safeness? Also, is there anything i can mod or replace to make it more reliable? I've done lots of google searching and its leaving me with nothing but dead tracks.

Thanks in advance! I love you guys!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:17 AM

How big of a shot are you planning on running?

3000GT manifolds have pretty crappy distribution when injecting stuff at the TB. So with that in mind, you might be better off with a dry kit that will add the fuel at your injectors where you can be sure that each cylinder will get enough. Nitrous distribution is another matter. Personally, I'd never run N20 unless it was a direct port. EFI manifolds are not designed to carry a wet air charge and distribute it evenly. However, they obviously do work and plenty of people use them regularly.

As for brand and kit. Zex makes a very easy to hook up dry kit. The NX wet kit was really popular when I was into Saturns (don't laugh), everyone used that kit. I don't have an first hand experience with direct port kits.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:06 PM

Cold fusion nitrous makes a nice cheap kit, i've used it, worked flawlessly. Also there customer service was excellent.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:24 PM

I'm planning on running a 55-75 HP shot. I was planning on getting the Zex Dry kit, you can get them used and refurbished for only 449$ compared to the brand new 779$ (and they come with a 1 year warranty when you buy used). Heres the link to the one i was planning on getting : http://www.compperformancegrou...RANCE

I checked their site, they dont have any direct port systems for a 6cyl, only 4cyl's....you think i'll be okay without it? I want the car to be as reliable and safe as possible. Another thing, how the Zex kit works is when your at full throttle it sprays for you....they say you shouldnt spray for more then 15 seconds at one time..does that mean after 15 seconds i turn the switch off? or do i have to let off the throttle?

Another thing, do you think it'll cause alot of damage on my engine if i only use it 1-4 times a month? And once i have it installed should i get a tune up just to be sure everything is running in mint condition?

Thanks for your help! it's really appreciated.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:13 PM

I'm not too knowledgable about 3Kgt NA motors, but just about any engine in existance can take a 50-75 shot reliably. Most of the Saturn guys ran 75 shots on bone stock long blocks reliably and those motors are weak as crap.

IMO a 75 shot should be plenty reliable with a dry kit. Make sure your fuel pump is able to keep up flow with the much higher fuel pressure and you'll be all set. You can get a 3Kgt forum about whether to do with colder plugs or not, that's kind of a vehicle specific thing.

As far as the 15 second limit. If you think about that, you're only going to be spraying for a 1/4 mile at a time and you'll probably be running well under a 15 and by the time 15 second is up you'll be far over a reasonable speed on the street, so the time limit isn't a big deal. It's the same thing as a turbo, you don't want to be making top gear top speed pulls for 20+ seconds at a time. That usually results in bad things.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:21 PM

I would buy a kit that had full throttle engagement, and then purchase an RPM window switch, then you won't be spraying at redline.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:25 PM

The Zex kit has full throttle engagement, thats the one i was thinking about getting, as for a RPM window switch what does that do? and where could i find it? (and whats wrong with spraying at redline? i would assume it would put to much pressure on the internals and possibly blow something..correct?)

And just to be sure my fuel pump is able to keep up with the higher fuel pressure what fuel pump would you suggest? (i'd rather upgrade now then later)

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:58 PM

walboro, not sure if there good or even make one for a 3000, RPM switch permits the nitrous to spray in alloted RPM's, they have these on ebay all the time. NOS and MSD make good ones. Spraying in the redline is a good way to fry your valves/rings ect. just don't do it lol.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StreetRac3r)

ZEX dry kit is fine. You can pick a kit up from ZEX for $550 or 650 I can't remember, or just look for a slightly used one. I just sold mine with a bottle gauge for $250.

The 6-cyl will take a 75 shot no problem. It's hp/cyl. Anywhere from 12.5-17hp/cyl is good. Anything above and I would recommend pulling some timing. Any less and you're just a *****.

Also, colder plugs are a MUST. With the nitrous you will get added heat, and you WILL predetonate if you do not get colder plugs.

It is recommended not to spray at redline so that you don't hit fuel cut. Nitrous combusts. Nitrous + air in cylinder = BOOM.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 PM

Ok, so this is what i will need for the most effecient and reliable preformance :

1. Upgraded fuel pump (any suggestions on model/brand i should go with?)
2. MSD RPM Switch
3. Colder plugs (Any suggestions on model/brand i should go with?)

Keep in mind im going to be using the Zex Dry Kit (75hp shot)