Notices

quaife problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 01:05 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quaife problem?

i have a rebuilt H22a with a quaife installed in the tranny along with a light flywheel (indigospeed). took it out for the first time and no problems while driving but noticed after driving around for a while, tuning the engine, that at low speeds would start to hear and feel just a bit of a rubbing/chattering as the engine slowed way down (even out of gear) coming off throttle.

today took out again. drives fine at speed through all gears but going slow the symptoms are even worse almost like a bit of binding. as the car/tranny cooled down it seemed to not be there.

checked tranny oil and its ok. nothing seems loose. only 30miles on the engine so far,

any ideas? is this something the quaife can do?

Old 09-24-2003, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: quaife problem? (GruvyTune)

something like this??

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=619673
Old 09-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quaife problem? (Response)

I'm really not sure on the H tranny if they use tapered bearings (needing shims) or flat bearing not needing to be shimmed.
Directions would not be given with the Quaife for installation because the Quaife is complete as is, nothing to adjust. It is installed exactly as you would a normal honda carrier and you do that exactly as Helms describes for the stock peg leg unit. You install the speed-o gear on the Quaife, put new bearings on each end and put it in the tranny.
The Quaife is bullet proof and the only one I have ever seen screw up is when some tranny gears break and the pieces find their way into the Quaife gears. That can hurt the Quaife.
My suggestion would be to call Quaife, 800 553-1055 and ask for Roger. He may be able to shed some light on the problem.
My hunch is a bad imput bearing but that is just a guess.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:50 PM
New User

Default Re: quaife problem? (earl)

thanks earl.

shimmed it myself using the torque wrench preload technique in the helms. was dead on correct. new bearings (they are tapered too).

seems the problem may not be the quaife afterall. may be one of the axles I had made by CVUnlimited. It seems to be accentuated by driving a bit uphill and turning to the right.

using Honda MTF. Quaife says that is perfectly ok. they also say a tiny bit of chatter is normal at very low speeds since the gears on either side are going to be towards the center of the unit (at high speeds they are pushed outward)
Old 09-24-2003, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GruvyTune &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

seems the problem may not be the quaife afterall. may be one of the axles I had made by CVUnlimited. It seems to be accentuated by driving a bit uphill and turning to the right.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like one of the axles may be too long and bottoming out. Is this H22 in a civic chassis?
Old 09-25-2003, 04:54 AM
New User

Default Re: quaife problem? (Jared)

its an SH prelude with a base engine/tranny swap. The Helms shows the driver side axle to be the same in either car but shows the passenger axle to be 0.5in shorter in the SH. since the tranny housings are the same in both the SH and the base, I assumed I needed the shorter SH axle??? so that is what I had manufactured. It seemed a bit too short putting it in but with the car on the ground it seems to be ok. Now I'm not sure which size is correct.

there is no noise at a stop. If I brake hard in gear it makes the noise at a low speed. its definitely worse going up a hill and turning to the right. at speed though, no noise and no slippage even in moderate turns.

Modified by GruvyTune at 9:09 AM 9/25/2003
Old 09-25-2003, 07:59 AM
New User

sounds like that axle is too short

If by chance it's not, I would probably point the finger at a bad carrier bearing.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:10 PM
New User

Default Re: quaife problem? (VaporTrail)

wouldnt too short an axle just pop out of the tulip , not click? too long would cause bottoming out.

how do you diagnose the carrier bearing? which one is that?