Notices

PVC system mods...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PVC system mods...

I'm doing a turbo setup for a 1998 Integra GS. I'm not 100% clear on what to do with the PCV system. As I can see the crank case vent has a valve in it thus preventing the boost from entering the crankcase. I will double check but I think the valve cover has one as well.

Would it not be best to leave the PCV system as it is and make sure the valve cover vent goes to the low pressure intake side? This way boost cannot enter (because of the PCV valve) and even if it does the pressure will just end up venting back to the intake. Otherwise under vacuum (95% of the time) it will just operate normally...

-Michael
Old 05-06-2004, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PVC system mods... (hackish)

If boost cant enter, positive pressure that needs to 'ventilate' can't escape either. This is bad.

Best solution...hook up a vacuum 'motor' into the system that is ALWAYS sucking air out of the crankcase. (IE...air enters the Valve Cover at the breather hole, or multiple holes if you add them, vacuum is sucking at the crankcase and pulls air thru the valve cover and thru the 'system' and out into the atmosphere thru the vacuum pump)

That is best case scenario.

What I am trying and planning on doing is hooking up the system so that the Intake manifold is sucking air while in vacuum thru the PCV and while boosting, air is being sucked using I think the Bernouli principle by hooking up a hose to the exhaust system at the proper angle which will suck bad fumes into the exhaust and out into the atmosphere.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=697498
Try this thread as well for good info...
Old 05-06-2004, 08:17 AM

Default Re: PVC system mods... (xenocron)

Open it up to he atmosphere. It doesn't need a draw. It relieves pressure.

It is connected to the intake for emission purposes.

BTW, ever look at all the gunk build up this causes? I will never connect it to the intake on my car.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PVC system mods... (devnull)

It's a $400 ticket if you get caught venting the breather to atmosphere. They're getting pretty bad about checking for that as well. This is a project I'm doing for someone else so it has to be 100% emissions friendly.

-Michael
Old 05-06-2004, 09:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hackish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's a $400 ticket if you get caught venting the breather to atmosphere. They're getting pretty bad about checking for that as well. This is a project I'm doing for someone else so it has to be 100% emissions friendly.

-Michael</TD></TR></TABLE>

so then run a vacuum hose to another location and hide the filter somewhere........
Old 05-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PVC system mods... (FwdCivicHatch)

Any idiot can hack together a PCV filter and even hide it. Probably it won't work properly and in time you'll have a gummy black filter dripping oil under the hood.

The challenge here is to come up with a working emissions legal PCV system. This is what the guy asked for so that's what I have to build.

-Michael
Old 05-06-2004, 11:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hackish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The challenge here is to come up with a working emissions legal PCV system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what Honda did.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PVC system mods... (jmagner)

They came up with an emissions legal NA PCV system. I'm trying to do the same with a boosted motor PCV system.

-Michael
Old 05-06-2004, 12:15 PM

Does this help at all?

http://www.theoldone.com/components/breather/

It says off-road only but it's probably more difficult for police to spot. It also eliminates the leaky filter under the hood you mentioned earlier.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hackish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any idiot can hack together a PCV filter and even hide it. Probably it won't work properly and in time you'll have a gummy black filter dripping oil under the hood.

The challenge here is to come up with a working emissions legal PCV system. This is what the guy asked for so that's what I have to build.

-Michael</TD></TR></TABLE>
I hope he has an "emissions legal" turbo kit if your worried about emissions laws.
Here is one I stole from a post xenocron made:

I was going to use haberdasher's diagram but I can't find it.

Routes everything back in: yes

Legal: no - you modified it + you have a turbo na engine.

Optimal: no - gunk in turbo and intake now - but whatever you want.

BTW you can use the search feature, it helps when you are searching for something.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:25 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: PVC system mods... (jmagner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmagner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does this help at all?

http://www.theoldone.com/components/breather/

It says off-road only but it's probably more difficult for police to spot. It also eliminates the leaky filter under the hood you mentioned earlier.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This kit comes offroad only if you use the breather filter, or you can put the PCV valve in the top and it will be emission legal [i.e. - no venting to the atmosphere].
Old 05-06-2004, 02:27 PM

the endyn kit has a PCV valve that comes in the kit that you can place on top instead of the filter. You can then run that tube back to the spot on the top of the intake manifold. Pick up the new issue of HCI, they did an install of it
Old 05-06-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: PVC system mods... (LostSolVTEC)

The endyn kit is over priced bling crap.

You can get the same functionality for a fraction of the cost.
READ:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=722482

Why can't you people search? I should just let you spend all your McDonalds money on over-priced-let-me-rip-them-off-because-honduh-owners-aren't-too-brite
crap.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:36 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Devnull, are you not having problems sucking too oil into the can? I read somewhere that the fittings in the Endyn kit are different from the ones you get from Honda, and that if you use the Honda ones you suck oil in. I'm all about saving cash, so if it works with the Honda fittings, I'm all for it.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Devnull, are you not having problems sucking too oil into the can? I read somewhere that the fittings in the Endyn kit are different from the ones you get from Honda, and that if you use the Honda ones you suck oil in. I'm all about saving cash, so if it works with the Honda fittings, I'm all for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Where did you here that? Endyn?
I have never seen any of them, but what exactly can be different? You can just drill and tap the plugs that are in the block and screw a fitting in there. It is just a hole. BTW, I heard endyn buys those from honda for a couple bucks and charges you $30+ for them.

You don't even need to do that; you can just connect the stock pcv as in the pic I posted.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:47 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I remember reading it in a thread on here. Someone said the "endyn fittings" have some kind of stem going inward, but like you said, it looks exactly the same as the Honda fittings in the picture.

I'm going to be converting to a catch can setup within a year or so. Georgia doesn't have super strict emissions laws...not to where they start looking to make sure the PCV is hooked up [they just stick the sniffer in the tail pipe]. I'll probably do the DIY "endyn style" catch can setup like you did. If it's working for you, then all should be well. What engine do you have it on?
Old 05-06-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Re: (DaX)

I never actually tried it - just using logic

Honestly, I have spoken to several reputable people who have told me (some even know Larry at endyn) that those are honda parts. Larry would not give out the part numbers so he could continue ripping people off, so I started a thread, people started working together and found out for everyone. Your welcome.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=687222

Looks the same to me. I would never buy that endyn kit. They are just holes in the block lol.

Do you know what endyn does to d series engines since there is no place to put those fittings? They drill and tap a hole.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Re: (devnull)

there are also 2 honda spacers that are sold that go behind them to help them seal. Someone posted up that part number too i'll try to find the pic
Old 05-06-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: (devnull)

devnull... it looks like Endyn has modified there fitting .. they now don't look as pictured larrys website ... for a comparison look at this thread -

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=832787

Pictured in the middle of the first page u can see Larrys fitting ...

A couple points of interest ... I did not Purchase Endyns kit and took your approach and bought the fittings and moroso catchcan seperately ....

Larry kit is actually a good deal BTW ... when you consider the cost of the Moroso, The 4 parts from honda(2 washers and 2 fittings ) , the hoses and extra fittings , and the time to modify the moroso catchcan .... he put some thought into his catchcan and deserves to be compensated for providing a great solution....

I have No problems with the hinda fittings BTW ... I think the other individuals are having problems because they aren't draining the oil back to the Oil pan like me ...
Old 05-06-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Re: (dasher)

Thanks, it looks like larry has been reading ht and wanted to make his different to justify the extra cost

I don't think that morosso can is worth it at all. I can do the same thing with a soup can for free. Any hardware store sells the same hoses for dirt cheap, clamps etc.

I could have the EXACT same functionality for under $10. Free if I get to forage around a garbage can.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:24 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devnull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

would it be better if you just hook up the nipple from the valve cover put a T with one side smaller cap off the intake manifold that the pcv use to go to and hook the pcv to the T and hook it straight to the turbo inlet? i mean thats the only way i see it can be some what legal
Old 05-06-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Re: PVC system mods... (ShowTymers619)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShowTymers619 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

would it be better if you just hook up the nipple from the valve cover put a T with one side smaller cap off the intake manifold that the pcv use to go to and hook the pcv to the T and hook it straight to the turbo inlet? i mean thats the only way i see it can be some what legal</TD></TR></TABLE>
What? You do know the valve cover sucks in fresh air right? Why would you T that with the outlet?

Look in your helms manual (you have one right), it will show you how a pcv system works.

If you are worried about oil coming out of the valve cover run it to a can with a filter on top.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:29 PM
* B A N N E D *

well instead of it sucking in air you will releive all pressure in the valve cover

then why would greddy use that nipple and put it in the intake pat of t he turbo?
Old 05-06-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Re: PVC system mods... (ShowTymers619)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShowTymers619 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well instead of it sucking in air you will releive all pressure in the valve cover

then why would greddy use that nipple and put it in the intake pat of t he turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ask greddy.

Have you read your service manual?

You can put it in the intake to your turbo, but it still sucks in fresh air - just search for haberdashers diagram.

Do you know where it is in a stock car? After the filter right? Same thing on the pipe to the turbo inlet.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:39 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devnull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Ask greddy.

Have you read your service manual?

You can put it in the intake to your turbo, but it still sucks in fresh air - just search for haberdashers diagram.

Do you know where it is in a stock car? After the filter right? Same thing on the pipe to the turbo inlet.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok... i dont kno if your trying to prove anything with your answers i just gave aprolly the best way to make it look legal

Quick Reply: PVC system mods...