Notices

Propane injection for gas engines? Is it possible?

Old 03-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propane injection for gas engines? Is it possible?

I know Propane injection is used in diesel engine to make more power. But does this apply to gas engines? Don't we use nos to boost power? Is propane the same thing? What good propane kits are available?
Old 03-21-2004, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Propane injection for gas engines? Is it possible? (diulay_pkjai)

Propane thins out the kerosene mixture and makes it burn faster, hence more power. Nitrous oxide would also work in a diesel engine, but it doesn't make the fuel burn faster, it simply allows more fuel to be injected. (In a diesel engine, this will actually only produce more power at and above the point where the air the engine can take in becomes limited, since the "throttle" on a diesel engine only controls the amount of fuel, not air)

In actuality, propane has a far too low ignition energy to use in a gasoline engine. It will just cause uncontrollable detonation.

By the way, NOS is a company, owned by Holley Performance. Nitrous Oxide, aka nitrous, is the chemical.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Propane injection for gas engines? Is it possible? (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
In actuality, propane has a far too low ignition energy to use in a gasoline engine. It will just cause uncontrollable detonation.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont speak on subjects on which you have no experience. Propane isnt a power adder such as n2o, but it is very beneficial in certain application on normal gas powered cars, FI in particular. Propane will NOT cause uncontrollable detonation, it will actually lower knock. Propane is used to fight knock, allwoing you to turn up the boost. Propane is said to have an octane rating of about 110.

I personally have a kit on my car, it works pretty well when I have it on, but I personally dont suggest leaving it on all the time, because if the tank goes empty and you get on it bad things could happen(i.e. no propane, so engine gets lot of detonation). I got my kit from http://www.importpoweronline.com

Some of the grand national guys use this kit and a few other ones also. Its not that well known but it works decently. And it only costs me like 1 or 2 dollars to fill up my propane tanks that lasts about 4 or 5 weekends. Compare that to race gas and you can see the savings. Only thing that sucks is that you are carrying a propane tank around, but hey, you already got a big explosion waiting to happen(gas tank) why not have two?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Propane injection for gas engines? Is it possible? (bigjangin)

There are a few good threads in the archives too just search for "propane" I think there is a site called h20injection.com that has alot of stuff about it but you have to be a member to read.

I think propane will be my remidy for the crappy pump gas here in socal. With its high octane I could up the boost.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Propane injection for gas engines? Is it possible? (func-tion)

Are those injection kits at http://www.importpoweronline.com pretty much the same as a nos setup?

EDIT: found some pics...If anyone is interested

Old 03-21-2004, 11:20 PM

its not really the same as a nitrous setup. It uses an adjustable needle valve instead of jets. It was hard to keep pressure in the bottle when it was cold, we shall see how it does once the weather warms up a bit.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: (bigjangin)

That "needelvalve" is just a regulator that could be bought at homedepot or a plumbing supply house. But you have to make sure you get a brass one because brass is non sparking unlike other metals that could be used like stainless.

The kit does look alot simpler than a noss setup though. But i bet they are not showing everything cuz some of us will just go out and piece it together ourselves.

I bet if you got the right parts though it could be hooked up to the fuel side of a wet nos setup.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:34 PM

oh its definitely pretty simple and I bet you could piece it together yourself. They do indeed list all the parts. I picked up my kit for 200 dollars shipped, that was the old price. They have since raised it quite a bit. If you were going to piece one together yourself let me know if you have any questions on how its setup.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:37 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it worth it , what gains are typically achieved with a propane setup?
Old 03-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hella_JDM)

Thanks for the info. So propane is like race gas, I like it. So if I use nitrous with propane, I should be able to use higher shots without retarding timing right? But then I would have two bottles in my trunk.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (diulay_pkjai)

little OT but when i hear people talk about running proprane...i think about this big white BBQ proprane tank in the back of the car...

do people run nitrous type bottles for propane also?
Old 03-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cramerox)

propane injection searched. threads over 10 replies listed.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=698974
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=701009
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=616584
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=458338
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=221260

Old 03-22-2004, 02:43 PM

Default Re: (Cramerox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cramerox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...i think about this big white BBQ proprane tank in the back of the car...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a big white bbq tank in my trunk. I was tempted to paint on it "BBQ POWER" or something. You should see the looks I get when I open my trunk.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The H2Oinjection site is down? I can't go to it. IS there a propane tank that's designed to be used in a car? I don't think putting a bbq tank in the trunk is that safe.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:08 PM

Default Re: (diulay_pkjai)

putting a propane tank in your car is a decision you will have to make. Most propane tanks are DOT approved I believe. A propane tank is built much much stronger than your car's gas tank.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:17 PM

To clarify from your original post, nitrous as a fuel does not give you any additional power. At all, ever. I am really really sick of hearing that. You don't burn nitrous, it gives you a higher density oxygen charge, which allows you to make more power if you increase fuel. The increase in fuel is giving you more power, the nitrous is getting the oxygen there for combustion.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SleepyEG)

I'm still not too sure about the safety of propane. I'm N/A right now, I think I'll just go with a wet nitrous kit for now. Thanks for the info.