Notices

problems after new turbo install...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems after new turbo install...

So I've completed the turbo installation and I tuned a nice flat 11.7 afr in boost and a nice part throttle tune as well. However, I'm getting a few things that never happened before I did the installation.

1) I'm getting hesitation or skipping out of boost and in boost. The car will start to jerk at part throttle at about 2,500 rpms. And I've also had it happen at about 6,250 rpms in full boost (8.6psi). The afr is great. What might be other problems?

2) I'm getting a code 10, intake air temp check engine light. It only happens randomly, so I'm not sure what might be causing this.

3) I think this might have to do with the previous problem, but I get weird idling. It'll jump and surge from 800 rpms to 1500 rpms and bounce between the two.

So if anyone could lend some knowledge and solutions that would be great.

Personally, I think that it might be a bad distributor or spark plugs wires causing the first problem. But I'm here for second opinions. I'm stumped about the 2nd and 3rd problem.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: problems after new turbo install... (asianspeed)

plugs? gap?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the engine management? Part throttle hiccups can be fixed by adding a little timing, at least that worked for me. Make sure the IAT sensor is tight and I'm going to hold off answering number 3 til I know what EMS you're running.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: problems after new turbo install... (boostedcivicsir)

After a little bit more searching. Could by OBDII to OBDI conversion be the problem? I've got a '99 integra and now a OBDI P28 ecu. But I was running the OBDI ecu long before I installed my turbo. And the code only started showing up after the install.

Plugs are brand new, ngk BKR7E

and they're gapped at .28
Old 03-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What Engine management are you running? At this point I'm guessing some sort of freeware, and you said you tuned it yourself?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's the engine management? Part throttle hiccups can be fixed by adding a little timing, at least that worked for me. Make sure the IAT sensor is tight and I'm going to hold off answering number 3 til I know what EMS you're running.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm using uberdata for my engine management. for part throttle tuning, I left the timing stock, but adjusted the fuel map to be leaner. Starting at 13.5 in vaccum that works it's way closer to 12.5 in transition and then 11.8 after 2 psi of boost.

Where can I find the IAT sensor on my '99 teg?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well on my D16 it's right behind the intake manifold and reachable from the engine bay, should be around there. You can run a lot leaner in part throttle, FYI, Mid 14's would be fine. Try adding just a touch of timing to the places where it acts up, how much timing retard are you running in boost?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well on my D16 it's right behind the intake manifold and reachable from the engine bay, should be around there. You can run a lot leaner in part throttle, FYI, Mid 14's would be fine. Try adding just a touch of timing to the places where it acts up, how much timing retard are you running in boost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll check for the sensor right now.

I realize I can run leaner, 13.5 was a typo...it should have been 14.5.

The problem with adding the timing is that the hesitation isn't consistant.

And I'm running a step retard in boost.
0-3 psi - .08 degrees retard per psi
3-5 psi - .25 degrees retard
5-7 psi - .5 degrees retard
7-10 psi - .75 degrees retard
Old 03-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car did some weird stuff too... i tuned the car with hondata with the IAT in the mani but not hooked up... it threw a CEL but ran fine...

then i finally got around to extending the wires for the IAT and when i got it hooked up it hiccups... sometimes only... at 3k and somtimes 5k only in part throttle
Old 03-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (booja)

Mine hiccups a little also. I've got a CEL and I'm pretty sure it's my cat, I don't have one, but I haven't check it since I've boosted!
Old 03-27-2006, 10:18 PM
476 whp / 323 tq @ 17 PSI

Default Re: (DSeriesBKilla)

sounds like u r misfiring. something to do with the tuning.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:57 AM

Default Re: (booja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by booja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it hiccups... sometimes only... at 3k and somtimes 5k only in part throttle</TD></TR></TABLE>

This seems to be what I'm going through. What was your resolution?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Re: (DSeriesBKilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSeriesBKilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine hiccups a little also. I've got a CEL and I'm pretty sure it's my cat, I don't have one, but I haven't check it since I've boosted!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think it's my cat. I've removed my second o2 sensor and I've got it disabled as well. Plus I went OBDI, so there's no need for the 2nd o2 sensor.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:01 AM

Default Re: (JDM turbo DC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM turbo DC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like u r misfiring. something to do with the tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, this was my first thought. that's why I'm guessing it's the plug wires. My car's got 80,000 miles and the wires haven't been changed before. I just need to find time to pick them up.

Hmmmm, maybe some injector cleaner might do the trick?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (asianspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asianspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, this was my first thought. that's why I'm guessing it's the plug wires. My car's got 80,000 miles and the wires haven't been changed before. I just need to find time to pick them up.

Hmmmm, maybe some injector cleaner might do the trick?</TD></TR></TABLE>I would try new plug wires and maybe a coil. both are pretty cheap insurance, and they both can cause things to act up when they get older so its worth a shot
Old 03-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Uberdata has a glitch in the programing that caused a hesitation in the 10inHG area of vacuum. This might be the cause.

Read this thread to see if it sounds like the problems you're having.

http://uberdata.pgmfi.org/foru...=3553
Old 03-28-2006, 09:05 AM

Default Re: problems after new turbo install... (Buzzbomb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Buzzbomb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uberdata has a glitch in the programing that caused a hesitation in the 10inHG area of vacuum. This might be the cause.

http://uberdata.pgmfi.org/foru...=3553</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes! I did notice that it happened at around 10inHG of vacuum. But it also does it up top at like 6,250 rpms in full boost. But I forsure know that in 10inHG is when it usually happens! I'll read up on that...anyone else have insite on this?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Buzzbomb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uberdata has a glitch in the programing that caused a hesitation in the 10inHG area of vacuum. This might be the cause.

http://uberdata.pgmfi.org/foru...=3553</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, read the thread. That's exactly what I've got going on. 10inHG I get hesitation and then up top between 5,500 and 6,250rpms. But there didn't seem to be a resolution except run the gs-r map scalars. But nobody on the thread could really confirm this fixed the problem. Except for the ones that said they changed to chrome for their engine management.

Any chance there is a fix for this now?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asianspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any chance there is a fix for this now?</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what I gathered, it's a problem in the programming scripts. When Uber is reading the map sensor, there is a translation descrepency that causes the hiccup. The only real way to fix the problem is by fixing it in the program itself. Here's the problem, the creator of Uber moved on to other cars and stopped updating the program. He also won't release the code to anyone. There is a possibility someone might make a patch that would work, but it's unlikely. I'm hopeing though.

I have the same problem. I ran the car NA last summer before the turbo went on and ran into this. I am looking into using CROME because of this hiccup. It's annoying enough to make me try something else.

I can't say that your hesitation in the higher rpms is the caused by this glitch. Were you in vacuum or boost at that rpm? If you were in boost, there might be another cause.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Buzzbomb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

From what I gathered, it's a problem in the programming scripts. When Uber is reading the map sensor, there is a translation descrepency that causes the hiccup. The only real way to fix the problem is by fixing it in the program itself. Here's the problem, the creator of Uber moved on to other cars and stopped updating the program. He also won't release the code to anyone. There is a possibility someone might make a patch that would work, but it's unlikely. I'm hopeing though.

I have the same problem. I ran the car NA last summer before the turbo went on and ran into this. I am looking into using CROME because of this hiccup. It's annoying enough to make me try something else.

I can't say that your hesitation in the higher rpms is the caused by this glitch. Were you in vacuum or boost at that rpm? If you were in boost, there might be another cause.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see, that's unfortunate that there's no more updates. I was in boost when this would happen in higher rpms. I guess for starters I'll replace the cap and plug wires. See if that helps. But it doesn't sound like it somethings that can be handled by tuning it better.

Wow, I think this is the first time that there isn't an answer for one of my problems.