Notices

Problem with turbo civic. CONFUSED

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with turbo civic. CONFUSED

I have a 95 civic D16Z6 i put a turbo on this past spring. Its a T3/To4B i have 450cc injectors safcII external wastegate running 8psi. When i first put the turbo on i retarded the timing 4deg. and it ran fine the whole summer until about September. At this time when i would boost the coolant overflow tank would fill up and the car would start to over heat. I replaced the thermostat the radiator the radiator cap (16lb cap). I have herd that the head is lifting under a load and the head gasket is blowing. I also her that my block is twisting under load and blowing the head gasket.

I was told to get ARP head studs and a new gasket and that should take care of the problem. Then i was told no i need that and a block gaurd also. Then i was told just to back the timing off more. Im not sure what to do and i want to fix the problem the first time and not have to take everything apart again. Please let me know what i should do. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with turbo civic. CONFUSED (turbocivic13)

I would venture to say it is either your head lifting or a blown headgasket especially if you have changed the thermo, rad and rad cap. There is a HUGE thread about SOHC-T headlifting in the forced induction section. I believe that is what happened to my car. I immediately assumed head gasket, got pissed, sold the turbo stuff, changed the head gasket THEN saw head lifting thread. I would personally get the ARP's first and if that doesnt work, change the head gasket. It would be cheaper.less painful to try the ARP's first....just my $.02
Old 01-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a decent fuel managment system once it is fixed, that is what should have been done the first time. Have you been running HIGH octane fuel 91 or higher? If you have been beating on that car hard then that explains it. the d16z6's are cheap, just build up a new one the right way.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Problem with turbo civic. CONFUSED (saywhat)

Same thing happened to me.

ARP head studs - torqued to 65 ft-lb, and a new head gasket should do the trick.

SOHC Head Lifting: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=909091
My Personal Experience: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1050985
Old 01-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with turbo civic. CONFUSED (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Same thing happened to me.

ARP head studs - torqued to 65 ft-lb, and a new head gasket should do the trick.

SOHC Head Lifting: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=909091
My Personal Experience: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1050985</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was a shitload of coolant in there. Mine wasnt that bad. pretty close. Also had coolant leaking from the #4 cylinder where the head and block met.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Problem with turbo civic. CONFUSED (specv5150)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by specv5150 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That was a shitload of coolant in there. Mine wasnt that bad. pretty close. Also had coolant leaking from the #4 cylinder where the head and block met.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All of that spilled in when I pulled the head off, if I had tried to start the car with that much coolant the motor would have exploded.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:53 AM

Is this commion for guys who have removed there heads before..and reinstalled it...Seems like it...
Have any of you guys that had bone stock motors and never removed your head before had this problem?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Problem with turbo civic. CONFUSED (CivicEJ1)

I am pretty convinced it's the timing and not the head lifting from reading all these "head lifting" threads. I don't think getting ARP's will fix the problem either, a few people bought them and still had problems. I would get rid of the hack and get some real fuel management so you can actually have control over your timing.

I also blew a head gasket. I turned the boost back down and I also backed the timing down a little bit. As soon as I get a tial WG, so I can control the boost better than with my shitty internal WG, I am going to turn the boost back up and see if changing the timing fixes the problem. I will let you all know what happens because I plan on pushing my block pretty hard next race season... I will probably keep turning the boost up until a rod snaps, so I will let you all know what happens.

Notice TurbodCX's reply on the second page in this thread... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1086958

Also according to this thread... http://www.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=762 boosted-hybrid and somebody also claimed they talked to earl and he said the sleeves walking under boost and that it's not a head lifting issue. The thread also said Marc (CivicRyda2k) still had problems even after installing ARP's. BH mentioned a way to test this "sleeve shifing" theory, but I don't think anybody has tried it yet.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurbodCX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok guys time for me to step in here, i have had this trouble also and here are the reasons,

For one, anytime you run boost over 30psi which is where my car stays at. 32psi to be exact, the cylinder pressure is through the roof, no matter what head gasket(i have tried them all) or what sealant (copper spray is way over rated!) if the tune is not where it should be IE the timing tables, this is very crucial on the D-Series, a small bore motor has alot more cylinder pressure @500whp than say a B-Series @500whp.

I am bringing this up to stop all of the stuff you guys are tring,with the studs, gaskets,sealants, step decks....ETC.

I have torqued my head studs to over 100Ftlbs!!! and have still pushed the gasket. I have RTVed the head gasket and copper sprayed the gasket with the end result still being that the car pushes coolant.

For you guys that are running higher that 1 bar of boost you really need to buy a real EMS to tune the car.AEM, Hondata. whichever.

I hope this helps all of you out.I learned the hard way by changing and buying parts way to much.

TUNING IS KEY HERE!!!

Brian</TD></TR></TABLE>

Modified by CivicEJ1 at 5:57 PM 1/8/2005
Old 01-08-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Problem with turbo civic. CONFUSED (CivicEJ1)

What the hell was the point of quoting that guy? We can all read what he wrote the first time.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with turbo civic. CONFUSED (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What the hell was the point of quoting that guy? We can all read what he wrote the first time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What the hell was the point of asking that question.............
Old 01-08-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Problem with turbo civic. CONFUSED (specv5150)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by specv5150 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What the hell was the point of asking that question.............</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because I hate that ******* douce bag, he makes stupid retarded posts constantly and it pisses me off. You kind of **** me off too for quoting me and asking me a stupid question... die.

Modified by beerbongskickass at 8:42 PM 1/8/2005
Old 01-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because I hate that ******* douce bag, he makes stupid retarded posts constantly and it pisses me off. You kind of **** me off too for quoting me and asking me a stupid question... die.

Modified by beerbongskickass at 8:42 PM 1/8/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah your original question was REALLY intelligent and thought out.....
Old 01-08-2005, 02:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because I hate that ******* douce bag, he makes stupid retarded posts constantly and it pisses me off. You kind of **** me off too for quoting me and asking me a stupid question... die.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

beerbongskickass your a jack *** and need to stop picking on people....
and I might be newbie in H-T, but my experience and my car can so burn your ***...

You Need to STFU!!!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 02:51 PM

Civicej1 nice Dyno #'s you posted in your Dyno thread.....
Karma will always own them....the only way to learn is trial and error, but since we can't make all the mistakes lets learn from other peoples too....

And turbocivic13 get a real EMS like Hondata,AEM,etc...and go to a really good tuner....I'll sure solve your problem....

Modified by TURBO HONDA at 4:32 PM 1/8/2005
Old 01-08-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Problem with turbo civic. CONFUSED (TURBO HONDA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBO HONDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

beerbongskickass your a jack *** and need to stop picking on people....
and I might be newbie in H-T, but my experience and my car can so burn your ***...

You Need to STFU!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't tell me what to do. You have no idea what your talking about. I am guessing your one of CivicEJ1's retarded friends... you can die too. Don't make stupid *** posts and I won't flame you... simple as that.