Notices

PROBLEM FIXED!! Igniter was causing all sorts of problems apparently...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 06:13 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM FIXED!! Igniter was causing all sorts of problems apparently...

Well, I got to Honda and bought a 91 Civic Si igniter for my B16a, and got that puppy swapped out in like 20 minutes.

I didn't have the tools I needed, so I CAREFULLY pulled the Cap off in the parking lot of my apartment, and went to work with the phillips head I had on hand.

3 Screws for the cap, 2 screws in the bottom of the igniter, and one for the wires behind where the coil would usually be. DAMN this thing's tight without being removed from the engine!

Anyway, I didn't lose any screws, lucky me, I got everything apart and back together in about 20 minutes. <I was doing Laundry, and I started and finished during the wash cycle > Apparently this part had been replaced before, the screws showed some wear from a lazy installer previously.

Ok, I cranked the car up and VROOM!, no more hard cold starting! Woohoo! Plus, the low RPM idle sputter is almost nonexistent now! Right on!

Ok, so I got bold and puttered around the parking lot, and out to the street once warm and no signs of sputtering. Drove up and down the street for 3-5 minutes. Car warmed up, NO sputters, no dying. WOOHOO #2!

I turned on the pump for my intercooler, and at 7psi, got on it some. Took off in first gear, there was wheel spin from 5500 on up into my 6k VTEC, and all the way to redline! First time for that ever! Woohoo! Grabbed second, hit the clutch a little hard, and it burned through the S-03's for a second and then they caught and off I go! WooHoo #3!!!

Only bad news is that the timing we put in it to get it to run right now is TOO MUCH, cause it detonated a hair, so we need to pull out some of the high RPM under boost timing, I guess.

Cliff's Notes:
1. Igniter was an easy Phillips head only install that took 20 minutes.
2. Igniter fixed hard startup problems
3. Igniter fixed Stutter at idle
4. Igniter fixed sputter/dying issues when car is warmed up
5. Igniter fixed problem with having to run CRAZY timing advance to get it to quit sputtering.
6. I said "WOOHOO!!" alot yesterday
Old 10-08-2002, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PROBLEM FIXED!! Igniter was causing all sorts of problems apparently... (SiR Kid)

what does the ignitor look like??? where exactly is it located in the distributor?
thanks
brian
Old 10-08-2002, 06:49 AM
New User

Default Re: PROBLEM FIXED!! Igniter was causing all sorts of problems apparently... (TurbodCX)

It's a little rectange. If you have the cap off the distributor, it under the coil, down toward the transmission. It's the only piece that has visible wire connections, really. Just pull off the cap, and it's the rectanlge piece in the bottom most part of the distributor.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:25 PM
New User

Default Re: PROBLEM FIXED!! Igniter was causing all sorts of problems apparently... (SiR Kid)

Ok, Scratch that. Problems still exist.. I guess I jostled something in there...
Old 10-08-2002, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-08-2002, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PROBLEM FIXED!! Igniter was causing all sorts of problems apparently... (SiRkid)