precision CEA turbos

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default precision CEA turbos

i have a 5857 on my car right now that i purchased last year, billet journal bearing.

i'm interested in upgrading to a ball bearing 5857, and i can get one for about $200 less from an individual than i can get the CEA version for.

i've heard from some people that the new CEA turbos have upgraded internals for oil pressure issues, they sound different, and they produce more power / spool faster. on the other hand, people are telling me that CEA is just a name they started calling their turbos to replace the billet term, but are the same turbos.

which one is true, and is the CEA worth the $200 premium?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: precision CEA turbos

No, they are actually much better turbo's. The shafts and wheels are made with some "state of the art" metarials/metals, and actually stepped the bar up in the turbo world, as opposed to your average garret turbo/old style turbo.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://turbodirect.co.za/site/index....=709&Itemid=21

^ check that 1st.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ How old is that article though. When I went to see my tuner (the owner of First State Motorsports) about my turbo setup that I will be ordering through him, he insisted I go with a new Precision, he explained it to me in full detail, and swears by them. He has build 1000+ 2jz sc300/is300/supra's on precisions. And is using a precision on his 9second EG. If that article is anymore than a year or two old, it's about the old precisions.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DirtyDA9
^^ How old is that article though. When I went to see my tuner (the owner of First State Motorsports) about my turbo setup that I will be ordering through him, he insisted I go with a new Precision, he explained it to me in full detail, and swears by them. He has build 1000+ 2jz sc300/is300/supra's on precisions. And is using a precision on his 9second EG. If that article is anymore than a year or two old, it's about the old precisions.
Its a relatively new article, and most or all of the information is still relevant.

Some guys (like myself) had have great luck with Precision turbos, but quite a few have no. Overall, I prefer Garrett products to PTE, particularly with the release of the GTX line, but PTE does make a decent product.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m3tech95
I read this article and I'm def one to scrutinize things down to the detail when looking into buying something. That article to me was a complete waste of my ****ing time to read.

Those compressor wheels are bad ***.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ thank you! Someone that agrees!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m3tech95
no offense but i came here asking about the cea turbos, not for an article whining about how precision has copied garrett. i had a gt3076r that i replaced with a 5857 jb. the precision spools faster by almost 200 rpms, it makes 18 more hp on the same boost level (dyno'd on diff days, so i won't tout this too much), and it was like $600 cheaper. so, garrett can suck it.

my only complaint with the precision is that its dead silent. i miss the sounds the garrett used to make. yeah yeah ricer i know, but it was enjoyable and thats what its about. someone told me the cea was a lot louder, spooled faster, etc, so i wanted to make sure it was true before buying one
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait, you are trying to get comformation before you buy it but then you say you have one? And yes I believe the new PTE's sound different.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha, my exhaust is to loud to care about the sound. Hell i don't even hear my BOV but i know its working.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My 5857BB was all but silent, tell you that much. Ear piercing on the dyno lol.

I remember reading the answer to this question a few days back, I believe the "CEA" is just a new name for their wheels, which can now be cast instead of having to be machined out of a block. Saves money, time, and works just as well.

Can't for sure quote 100% on this, I am still trying to find the thread that I read it in.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's pretty hard to Machine a billet turbine wheel so CEA refers to the turbine wheels being the performance version. They will not make a CEA cast compressor wheel that would be counterproductive
Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found the thread I was thinking of. Billet compressor wheels, cast turbine wheels.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/precision-news-update-new-66mm-cea-turbine-wheel-6266-6766-a-2981656/

NOTE*UPDATE*:
I apologize but we were misinformed, and consequently misinformed the public. Precision has been using the term CEA to refer to their billet compressor wheels for a good time now. Boasting how the new manufacturing process provides thinner blades, less material usage, more air flow, etc. So this is what we went off of when we got word from Precision that the CEA 66mm wheel was finally available. However, Precision was able to make the thinner blades, and increase air flow and efficiency, without having to go to as expensive of a process as billet machining, and without sacrificing strength. So these 66mm turbine wheels will be cast, using a new design made by precision for precision, not billet machined. It is advertised as the benefits of a billet machined exhaust wheel without the considerable increase in cost that billet machining an exhaust wheel would incur.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Billet aluminum will never survive the heat process that the inconel treated cast steel turbine wheels see. A matter of physics. It would melt before you got into your first "pull"
Old 01-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Billet aluminum will never survive the heat process that the inconel treated cast steel turbine wheels see. A matter of physics. It would melt before you got into your first "pull"
If it would melt, then I doubt they would use them. I haven't heard any complaints of compressor wheels melting, from PTE users.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 AM

If it would melt, then I doubt they would use them. I haven't heard any complaints of compressor wheels melting, from PTE users.
You're missing my point. The term CEA originally was the original designation regarding their compressor wheels, because we were asked not to use the general term "Billet" wheel for the compressors.

When the new "CEA" turbine wheels of the XX66 were released as a replacement to the Turbonetics 65mm turbine wheels. EVERYONE, including dealers were of the assumption that this also meant that the turbine wheels would ALSO be made of billet aluminum.. (This was even after the above pictures were released, and simply thought they were coated). RealStreet amended their statement to say that the CEA designation was just that.. a change in name, and not the determination as to whether or not the turbine shafts/wheels were made of aluminum. If they were, they would melt immediately. They are not, as they are still made of inconel treated-steel, though I won't give any opinion as to content, material, or design.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotcha.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're missing my point. The term CEA originally was the original designation regarding their compressor wheels, because we were asked not to use the general term "Billet" wheel for the compressors.

When the new "CEA" turbine wheels of the XX66 were released as a replacement to the Turbonetics 65mm turbine wheels. EVERYONE, including dealers were of the assumption that this also meant that the turbine wheels would ALSO be made of billet aluminum.. (This was even after the above pictures were released, and simply thought they were coated). RealStreet amended their statement to say that the CEA designation was just that.. a change in name, and not the determination as to whether or not the turbine shafts/wheels were made of aluminum. If they were, they would melt immediately. They are not, as they are still made of inconel treated-steel, though I won't give any opinion as to content, material, or design.
Clearly a few of us knew better Apparently their release information was not very well written, if so many people thought the wheels were either aluminum or machined. I corrected RSP on this, and they had to research it a bit and make changes.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait, you are trying to get comformation before you buy it but then you say you have one? And yes I believe the new PTE's sound different.
no i have a precision turbo from last year, not the 'CEA' version of it.

so what you guys are saying is that the CEA turbos are in fact the same turbos as the previous ones, its just a name change?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 PM

Previous means between 2008-2010. Before the billet wheels. In other words. CEA = Billet. that's the name change.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not being funny but as the guy stated above you would have to be some kind of dumb *** to think the turbine wheel and shaft were made of aluminium, also to the link pointed out above did precision not bring their billet wheel out before garrrett? Anyway who gives a **** precision have smashed the **** out of it in all sorts of classes, not just outlaw..........
Old 01-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW, I actually thought that the confusion was over Precision machining the turbines out of steel and then figuring out how to cast them better... out of steel.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by rs250nut
Not being funny but as the guy stated above you would have to be some kind of dumb *** to think the turbine wheel and shaft were made of aluminium, also to the link pointed out above did precision not bring their billet wheel out before garrrett? Anyway who gives a **** precision have smashed the **** out of it in all sorts of classes, not just outlaw..........
Actually, no.. not generally as a matter of time frame. Garrett (Before the GTX) had OEM billet compressor wheels a few years before the Precisions, FP, and Borg-Warner for their larger OEM applications like 18-wheelers and buses. Forced Performance came next, then Precision and Borg-warner within about 8 months to a year... Precision offers the most variable sizes and options, however.

And as a matter of record Garrett holds the fastest "door" Mustang in the world at 5.95secs from Australia. And yes, they are cast compressor wheels, too. So its kinda silly to swap "who has the biggest dick on the drag strip in XX class", because it becomes an absolutely endless and pointless debate. If the turbo works, it works, but to use it as a measuring stick to attribute to any one company just makes no sense, so a shameless plug isn't necessary...

Rob Campese
CV Performance
Twin Turbo V8 Mustang
World's Fastest 2-Speed Powerglide
Australia's Fastest Turbo Car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U44UhQQFB-g
5.975@254 MPH

He passed the 2nd fastest bracket that was 9 seconds (gave him a 4 second head start)

Funny part is, I'm not even a drag racing enthusiast... But this makes me feel like I'm on Yellowbullet all over again.

I'm just sayin'
Old 01-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Previous means between 2008-2010. Before the billet wheels. In other words. CEA = Billet. that's the name change.
thats interesting.. i knew a few guys on 8thcivic switched from a precision 'billet' turbo from last year and into a 'cea' turbo and they're all claiming the turbo is a lot louder, spools faster, etc. and they all went from a journal bearing to another journal bearing. they all seem very confident that the cea is a different turbo with different internals.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedBLUfg2
thats interesting.. i knew a few guys on 8thcivic switched from a precision 'billet' turbo from last year and into a 'cea' turbo and they're all claiming the turbo is a lot louder, spools faster, etc. and they all went from a journal bearing to another journal bearing. they all seem very confident that the cea is a different turbo with different internals.
Sounds more like the buyers wanted to believe something was different because they spent money. PTE started making their own billet wheels a few years back and they havent changed the design since. The turbine wheel is a bit thinner and lighter, but with the back to back tests I have seen comparing new vs old, the difference is minimal.

Quick Reply: precision CEA turbos