Notices

Poor Mans Turbo / Engine setup help me out guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Mans Turbo / Engine setup help me out guys

I still need an intercooler and i was wondering if you guys know any car I should be looking for in the junk yard for an intercooler. I'm only planning on running 8 psi right now but might bump it up later on. I was going to run 12 but it cost to much for me to do right now. I still need like a 35mm tial wastegate and with a 8psi spring and I need to find a bov (what is a cheap bov that will work with my setup?)
So basically I need a good price on a bov, wastegate and a used cheap intercooler

Here is what I have done so far with cost and everything.

usdm b18c1 engine bought plus rebuilt to honda specs by myself $500
Heads port and polished and flow tested $250
T3/4 Turbo with Manifold and 2.25 down pipe $300
Piping for turbo setup $180
s200 $295
Boost option $200
Baseline $65
Shipping $35
3 bar MAP $90
( I know I dont need all that stuff right now but if i want to raise the boost i will)
quaife lsd for gsr tranny $795
exedy clutch and light weight fly wheel $500
Tranny rebuild $400
I still need interocooler and bov and wastegate

So far I have spent a total of $ 3610
This is what most people spend on buying an engine so I'm happy so far. The engine i have is very strong with a header an intake and exhaust in the gsr I pulled 1/4 mile: 14.096 1/4 mile mph: 98.662 (that was with 179,000 miles on it) I just freshened the hole motor up. I kept the stock pistons and connecting rods but they looked good. So do you think 8psi will push it because this is the cheapest way for me to go. I was thinking of getting some dsm injectors and maybe upping the boost. But I dont know I've heard they are hard to fit in their and I'll need a few extra things. I figure 8psi will be good with stock injectors correct? Well this is my first turbo setup and I'm hopping for mid 12s in my civic. Do you think that is possible. My coupe weighed in with the d16 in it gutted at 2223 pounds without me in it. I weigh 140lbs. So I think its possible. I still have to remove the ac and power steering. So once that is done I'll run it and tell you.

I'm sorry I ramble on so much. do you think i should stick with 8 psi or raise it a bit since i did rebuild the motor? I'm going to hold off till about 3000 miles before i put the turbo on. Now also do you know where i can get the stuff i'm missing bov, wastegate, and intercooler? Cheapest possible please. Also do i need to get a bigger down pipe for this amount of boost? I want this to be reliable for at least 75,000 miles that is why i decided with 8 psi unstead of 12... I dont have lots of money right now. if it wasnt for friends with parts I wouldn't be getting this done

DEF
Old 11-16-2003, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Poor Mans Turbo / Engine setup help me out guys (deftones0817)

First off you will need larger injectors. Secondly go to your local parts store and pick up a bosch bov ($40)or as they call it over pressure pressure release valve something like that....if you want cheap pick up some dsm injectors have them cleaned and then get a resitor pack and install them...as fas as intercooler goes, search on here, a while back i saw new saab intercoolers that had plastic endtanks going for about $140 or so...good deal imo if you want cheap...
Old 11-16-2003, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Poor Mans Turbo / Engine setup help me out guys (b16ahybrid)

thanks what is the differenct between the bosch and a regular bov your talking about relief valve....if so will it work as good? I really dont care if it sounds loud or any of that crap as long as it functions ok for what im doing. Will i really need dsm injectors if i go with 8 psi?

DEF
Old 11-16-2003, 10:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deftones0817 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks what is the differenct between the bosch and a regular bov your talking about relief valve....if so will it work as good? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure does, I've been using one for about 4 years now. I got it because I initially did a junkyard set-up and buying a new bosch bov for $40 sounded better then $199 for a blitz...functions just fine for me at 9psi

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deftones0817 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">? . Will i really need dsm injectors if i go with 8 psi?
DEF</TD></TR></TABLE>

the stock 240cc injectors will not provide enough fuel for 8psi let alone 2psi if your going with hondata, Use a fmu (which your not) you can get by with about 5psi on stock injectors. You will need at least 440cc injectors to run 8psi, i would even recomend someting larger like 720cc or so that way it gives you room to grow...
Old 11-16-2003, 10:50 AM

you must remember that the most important part of your setup is your tuning, I.E. FUEL & TIMING. You already have an S200B so why limit yourself to stock injectors when for a Grand total of $100 you could have cleaned and balanced DSM 450's & resistor pack, good for 300+ WHP.

Trust me on this do not shoot yourself in the foot, upgade your injectors, if you run lean in boost with cast pistons you will cry.

BTW, Chino is the man!
Old 11-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would LOVE to know how you scored that b18c1 for so cheeeap!!! Got any extras?!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Poor Mans Turbo / Engine setup help me out guys (Johnyquest)

I bought an integra with like 170000 miles on it in delaare for 2500. I sold the shell for 2250 so it cost me 250 for engine. I rebuilt engine (new gaskets bearings and ****) was $250 my cost. That leaves me with a freshened motor for $500. I saw the opportunity and jumped on it. I'm still looking for more killer deals like this. It happens every once in a while around here. K So what kinda boost could I run for like lets say 75000 before I have to rebuild? This is a stock block. If you guys think i can get away with more than 8 psi? if not Ill get dsm injectors and run those.

DEF
Old 11-17-2003, 10:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deftones0817 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> K So what kinda boost could I run for like lets say 75000 before I have to rebuild? This is a stock block. If you guys think i can get away with more than 8 psi? if not Ill get dsm injectors and run those.DEF</TD></TR></TABLE>

Reguardless if you run 4psi or 14psi those stock injectors will not cut it. If you have a little extra money to shell out i'd get some new rc's (550cc or so) if not then get some dsm's cleaned and balanced....either way you need larger injectors. And once you do get those injectors and get it tuned (like it was said before, tuning is the key to a safe long lasting engine) you should be good runing about 10- 12psi....
Old 11-17-2003, 04:11 PM

kewl thanks for all the help guys so should i look for some 550s or something for injectors im still a little confused on why i would need such big injectors for even 12 psi?

DEF
Old 11-17-2003, 04:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deftones0817 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kewl thanks for all the help guys so should i look for some 550s or something for injectors im still a little confused on why i would need such big injectors for even 12 psi?

DEF</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because your means of tuning. Look at other factory boosted cars they run injectors a lot larger then 240cc for a reason (like the eclipse 440cc....).
Stock injectors even at 100% duty cycle can not flow enough fuel to provide a good air/fuel ratio. You would be run way to lean....it's all about fuel flow and the ability to provide enough.
The reason you see people getting away with using stock injectors under boost is because they use a fmu, (boost depended fuel pressure reg.) so at 6psi they have about 110psi of fuel pressure (give or take depending on their pump etc) at the rail. So now their 240cc injectors are flowing more fuel with each pulse, thus acting like a larger injector. So now you have a 2400cc injector acting like say a 350cc injector (i don't know the formula so i'm just throwing out numbers)..
The problem with that is now you have extreemly high fuel pressure that leads to other problems...
I hope that this helps a little
Old 11-17-2003, 04:48 PM

yep thanks i was just saying i thought 440 would do it for my setup on 8 psi...but ok i got what your saying.

DEF
Old 11-18-2003, 09:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deftones0817 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yep thanks i was just saying i thought 440 would do it for my setup on 8 psi...but ok i got what your saying.

DEF</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah 440's will work. Are you runing stocks or 440's? you never mentioned anything about larger injectors in your set-up so i assumed you still had stock.