Notices

Pistons the good bad and the ugly

Old 04-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pistons the good bad and the ugly

well there has been threads on this before but most are older... Im looking to spend my hard erned money on some pistons. This isnt a thread on "what should i buy with my money" I know what i wanna buy some pistons

what i am getting at is there are a lot of pistons out there now. SRP, Weisco, supertech, arias .. I wanna know real life experience people have had with these pistons. has any one had any problems with melting, braking ringlands , manufacture over rating the pistons.

-- anyone got any good stories or bad stories about any of these pistons or anything to watch out for?

all opinions are welcome

Thanks

Old 04-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Pistons the good bad and the ugly (Hondaruss)

Well I don't know how this one happened. I bought these from W O T, aka PINKS.

He bought them from someone here that were ran in a motor for 2k miles, and also said they were "like brand new". Obviously his idea of "like brand new" means he's a dirty scamming piece of ****. BTW after being measured, these .020" over pistons wouldn't even cut it as .010" over pistons due to the severe wear on the thrust sides.

SRP FTW. Or at least scammers FTW.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1440734

Old 04-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cp piston

crack and chip valve piston twice in a month. no more cp for me.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pistons the good bad and the ugly (eg:R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg:R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cp piston

crack and chip valve piston twice in a month. no more cp for me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

CP pistons, best tolerances out there and if tuned correctly, will never have an issue like cracking

Have run them in hundreds of street and race motors with no problems ever. Of course we have seen some issues when leaned out or too much timing, parts break like any piston would.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Pistons the good bad and the ugly (ninesecrx)

cp
wiseco
arias
srp
ross
je

cp or wiseco. triple check your measurements and tune it right the first time. my buddy just melted some arias pistons a few weeks back but he dyno'd something like 815whp the day before they smelted.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pistons the good bad and the ugly (zeimbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cp
wiseco
arias
srp
ross
je

cp or wiseco. triple check your measurements and tune it right the first time. my buddy just melted some arias pistons a few weeks back but he dyno'd something like 815whp the day before they smelted. </TD></TR></TABLE>
how did he manage to melt the arias ? maybe next time he will cryo treat them
Old 04-23-2007, 05:43 PM

Look into Endyn Rollerwaves too. Never used them, but I read a lot about them and for my limited knowledge on piston design they seem well made
Old 04-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pistons the good bad and the ugly (tony413)

I can see this thread getting heated due to many people have there opinions about the products they buy

IMO this is good info cause this is real world performace. you all ways hear about high HP with all types of hardware but of course its in the tune but not just the tune durability construction other factors. How well they gonna withstand long periods of abuse. there are just somethings that has crossed my mind.

Thank you for all the info so far.. its not just good info for my self but other HT members and noobs so please keeep it commin

Thank you.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondaruss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can see this thread getting heated due to many people have there opinions about the products they buy

IMO this is good info cause this is real world performace. you all ways hear about high HP with all types of hardware but of course its in the tune but not just the tune durability construction other factors. How well they gonna withstand long periods of abuse. there are just somethings that has crossed my mind.

Thank you for all the info so far.. its not just good info for my self but other HT members and noobs so please keeep it commin

Thank you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed to every last word
Old 04-23-2007, 08:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Pistons the good bad and the ugly (tony413)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how did he manage to melt the arias ? maybe next time he will cryo treat them </TD></TR></TABLE>

im not sure, i dont think hes broken down the motor yet. or at least i havent heard from him yet to find out what the issue was. i know he was running an 85mm bore and boosting like 35lbs.

i think youre mainly gonna get that some people love cp, some people had issues with the older cp's so they will never buy them again, most people will swear by wisecos, the majority of people will also swear by whatever piston they are using. most piston failures are from user error whether it be improper clearances, bad tune, poorly done bore and hone, etc. the truth is that mostly all forged pistons are good, but i, personally, wouldnt use je or ross for more than 500hp and am somewhat skeptical on srps, despite them being ran in a handful of 9 second cars.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha to big of a bore for FI nice job on 35psi tho
Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (tony413)

the sleeves could handle it, i think it may have been a headgasket issue. my friend is runing 15:1 compression, itb's and nitrous on an 86mm bore with an eagle 95mm crank.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pistons the good bad and the ugly (zeimbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i personally, wouldnt use je or ross for more than 500hp and am somewhat skeptical on srps, despite them being ran in a handful of 9 second cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

anything on them particualr pistons should someone watch out for. I personally am shooting for 500wheel and was seriously thinkinh about getting a set of the je pistons. any more info on this would be great there might be something that i have missed or havent heard.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pistons the good bad and the ugly (ninesecrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ninesecrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

CP pistons, best tolerances out there and if tuned correctly, will never have an issue like cracking

Have run them in hundreds of street and race motors with no problems ever. Of course we have seen some issues when leaned out or too much timing, parts break like any piston would.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: Pistons the good bad and the ugly (PrecisionH23a)

dude any piston good bad or indifferent, installed improperly or a bad tune, will self destruct. it is just a matter of time. i ran srp's for 3 years no problems. je for 3 years no problems. now calico coated cp's. we shall see. still building.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:45 AM

ok, so this question is always asked... so instead of the topic getting heated once again why dont you (and i say this in the most sincere way) do some research. You need to figure out what kinda of metal you need... high or low silicone, how thick you need your ring lands to be, the compression ratio you want, thickness of the sideskirts desired, the weight, the clearence in between piston and rod end (side to side). There are a tone of features you need to look into before just slapping a set of pistons in your motor because so and so said they are the best. I mean one of the best pistons out there are bill miller, but most people have never heard of them because they are custom pistons, you wont see shelves stocked with these pistons because they make them to your specs. Now I understand if you dont want to have pistons made to your specifications but at least figure out what you need from a piston and that will help you determine which piston is best for you.

Personally my perfect piston would be a combination of wiseco's weight, longer skirts, and deep valve reliefs (something you may not need if running stock valves), with cp's accuracy, composition and machining.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbodohcsi)

Well said turbodohcsi. Many people forget that the difference in alloy will interfere with their build if the piston-to-wall clearance isn't matched for the application.

Personally I went with SRP's because i'm not shooting for high power. I'm mainly for the track and autox with daily driving in mind. SRP's have more silicone and are not likely to expand under heat just like the OEM cast pistons, but at least they are forged and can withstand more abuse than OEM.

I can't tell you the condition of my pistons after almost 20K because I'm not tearing my car down. I'll just tell you that I rev and boost 12psi everyday and the only issue i've had thus far is a stud or two breaking on my downpipe. I pour in 4 quarts of oil and 3k miles later even after a track day and a few autox's I get 3.9 quarts back.

Make sure you gap and check your rings too for the correct application.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blaze the chemi)

Any pistons will melt under leaned out condition...

I have heard a shop owner told me one time, "I'd never use CP piston, they melt..!"

I was like, "hmmm how much timing did you have under boost ?", his response was, " Huh ? "

On the motors that I built for customer's cars, I only used the following;

Endyn
Wiseco
JE
CP

and nothing else...I have turned customer away for wanting to use other pistons that the list above...WHY ? I have worked with them, I have use Wiseco and Endyn on my personal car and I know how much tolerance they need, how much the ring will expand and etc...

The Endyn have really nice characteristic that is beneficial for bosoted application. I like wiseco after I clean off the sharp edges and part number on the top of the dome

stan
Old 04-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Flamenco-T)

cp's can not handle the abuse the others can.. its very easy to hurt a cp and with most people running pump gas at the limit i cant honestly recomend them to anyone. cp's fall apart in weird ways and damage other parts. if you happen to scuff a cp on inital break in, the skirt will collapse, the piston will knock around and it will crack a sleeve and even hit the head/damage it. hell i have seen cp's crack completly in 1/2 on mild setups.

a wiseco.. scuff it and it'll just smoke and leak down a little more than normal, power wont suffer and longevitiy wont suffer.

je's have a funny shape and require more clearance to keep the wear down. arais pistons have a pretty typical design, nothing special about em. same with je/srp and most cp's. shelf wiseco's have the most advanced design of nearly any shelf piston out there.

ringlands... i have never seen a forged piston break a ringland.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cp's can not handle the abuse the others can.. its very easy to hurt a cp and with most people running pump gas at the limit i cant honestly recomend them to anyone. cp's fall apart in weird ways and damage other parts. if you happen to scuff a cp on inital break in, the skirt will collapse, the piston will knock around and it will crack a sleeve and even hit the head/damage it. hell i have seen cp's crack completly in 1/2 on mild setups.

a wiseco.. scuff it and it'll just smoke and leak down a little more than normal, power wont suffer and longevitiy wont suffer.

je's have a funny shape and require more clearance to keep the wear down. arais pistons have a pretty typical design, nothing special about em. same with je/srp and most cp's. shelf wiseco's have the most advanced design of nearly any shelf piston out there.

ringlands... i have never seen a forged piston break a ringland.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny stuff, tell that to Titan Motorsports. They run CP's in both their pro rwd cars and for some reason...I think they make a bit of power! I guess the worlds fastest HR Honda car the Eggum racing team...they use a SHELF CP with great luck...just a couple of record breaking teams running them Paul Efantis...and so on...
Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ringlands... i have never seen a forged piston break a ringland.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have believe it or not.... wiseco's (I beleive) on a k20a2. Not only were the ringlands cracked off but the sideskirts had chunks missing from them. This guy came in and said his car was not running right after he got his new clutch installed. It turned out the shop did not plug his 3 bar map sensor back in and in turn he blew the motor.

Under the right conditions, you can ruin any piston. Plain and simple. I've used CP's for about 5-6yrs now and I will not run any other piston. I've assembled many many many motors using CP's and I will continue to use them. And I think we all know that Mike probably assembles more motors using CP's than anyone on this site... if there were so many problems with them as several of you claim, then I would think he would have stopped using them by now.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PrecisionH23a)

That is correct Anthony I use CP because I believe in them. I sell a lot of pistons and do a lot of motor builds...enough to buy into any piston company I need to get a good price. So price is NOT the reason I use CP. I would have no problem switching to another piston manufacture if I felt or seen signs there were better pistons out there. Of course we can all go back and forth...but all the pistons we have seen and used over the years, CP's are the best we have found! I have pistons of every manufacture at my shop that have had issues. A lot to do with just problems tuning, but some because they were just too screwy to use. And for all the people to say they will not buy CP's because they crack...even if the valve reliefs were too thin, they are not made that way anymore. All new CP have the thin parts cut out so now you can take advantage of the precise CP ring lands because they are 50 percent or "leak down-ring seal" and have no worries even if the tune was not up to par...relevant speaking of course.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ninesecrx)

and how many pro teams use wiseco pistons, how many use arais, how many use JE... thats about a retarded arguement when we are talking about a street car that is probably gona have a 1/2 *** tune and run on 1/2 *** gas.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:35 PM

This is an awesome thread, well timed for me too since i just blew my motor. I am in the process of researching pistons and rods to do a whole bottom end rebuild so i can turn up the boost. thanks for the input guys.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and how many pro teams use wiseco pistons, how many use arais, how many use JE... thats about a retarded arguement when we are talking about a street car that is probably gona have a 1/2 *** tune and run on 1/2 *** gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What does that matter? If it is a race car or a street car...if the tune up is proper the pistons are not going to have an issue with any brand. What sets the piston manufacturer's apart is their machine work quality and design. If a street car has a half *** tune, the piston does not have a chance to even run proper.