Notices

Payn Technologies/Vortech install

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Payn Technologies/Vortech install

I had Payn Technologies in Troy, MI do a complete install of a Vortech S/C system in my '00 Si in 1/03 ($840 install charge). In April 2004 I noticed oil on the garage floor where the air filter comes through behind the headlight. I store the car from 11/1 to 4/15 every year, so I was just getting the car out of storage when I discovered this. I called Tom at Payn to tell him my air filter was saturated with oil. Tom said bring the car up so we can have a look at it. After taking it to Tom he said the oil seal inside the S/C was blown and would have to be sent back to Vortech for a rebuild. Tom called me and said it was going to cost over $600 for them to rebuild it plus the cost for labor to r&r the unit. I said no way was I paying a dime for anything since it only had a 1K miles on the system and was stored winters. So after I did all the leg work and called Vortech and talked to Todd Armstrong he said they would rebuild it no charge and pay for Payn's labor.

It's now 11/04 and 853 miles later and the same thing happens, air filter saturated with oil. I call Vortech and speak with Todd who has been excellent to work with, not to mention stands behind his product. Todd says I'll send you a brand new unit and exchange it out for the old one. This time I'm doing the install. After taking the old unit off I notice the collar with the 3 pins that slides over the shaft on the s/c is about to fall off. This is the "pin drive" system that drives the s/c from the belt. The bolt that holds it on never had any theadlocker on it, and allowed it to back right out. After removing the s/c out of the way upon futher inspection I notice a shop towel shoved way back inside the aftercooler completely blocking air flow to the throttle body. Mind you Vortech paid Payn for their labor and this is a Vortech authorized dealer. How the car ever ran I'll never know. This is just some of the f_ _k-up's I have found since the install, and spending over $12K with Payn.

I took my car to him to begin with because of all the good things people had to say about his shop on these forums not knowing this is the kind of work they put out. So think twice before you take your car to him.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Payn Technologies/Vortech install (sivicman)

I understand your frustration, sometimes it seems you can never win doesn't it. However have you given Payn a chance to make it right? People are only human, and mistakes do happen. Its all in how you fix them though. Someone putting a shop rag in your IC is a sign of a thorough tech, they obviously forgot to take it out. Give them a chance to work something out with you.

my 2psi worth. Good luck sir

-bill
Old 12-12-2004, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Payn Technologies/Vortech install (AutoLab)

Wouldn't happen to be Eric's uncle would you??? If so, I'm the guy with the turbo'd Si from Milan this summer.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Payn Technologies/Vortech install (99blusi)

this is why I only work on my car i dont trust others work. sorry if its mean but i dont want **** like that to happen. If it breaks i want it on me not someone else
Old 12-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Plastering their name here won't solve anything, if I were you, I'd negotiate something with Tom. If in fact one of their techs left a rag in there.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:19 AM

Default Re: (ForceFedDetroit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ForceFedDetroit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Plastering their name here won't solve anything, if I were you, I'd negotiate something with Tom. If in fact one of their techs left a rag in there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All he is doing if putting out his situation with them, it's not like he's bashing them.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Payn Technologies/Vortech install (99blusi)

quote - Wouldn't happen to be Eric's uncle would you??? If so, I'm the guy with the turbo'd Si from Milan this summer.

Yes I am.

Modified by sivicman at 2:49 PM 12/12/2004
Old 12-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Payn Technologies/Vortech install (AutoLab)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoLab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I understand your frustration, sometimes it seems you can never win doesn't it. However have you given Payn a chance to make it right? People are only human, and mistakes do happen. Its all in how you fix them though. Someone putting a shop rag in your IC is a sign of a thorough tech, they obviously forgot to take it out. Give them a chance to work something out with you.

my 2psi worth. Good luck sir

-bill</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have given Tom Payn several times to make things right with other problems in the past with no result.
The next time you have an operation and the surgeon leaves some sponges or a pair of hemostats inside of you, call the doctor and see if he'll make it right.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:27 PM

im from rochester hills (5 minutes from troy). never has anything done by tom but i hear hes expensive but good. my personal view is that if his guys left a ******* rag in your aftercooler then they should pay for your **** to be fixed completely for free. but then again you shoulda just installed it yourself to begin with and pay them to tune it. but im sorry to hear bout your trouble man thats a big bummer. got any pics of your car? i might have seen it around?
Old 12-31-2004, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally got the time to install new s/c. After getting the engine warmed up I did a compression check. Engine has 8,300 miles.

Here's the results:
#1 - 210
#2 - 210
#3 - 180 dry, 190 wet
#4 - 210

I had to re-do the compression test cause I didn't hold the throttle open.
What could be wrong with #3 cyl.?

Thanks Tom for that expert tuning.

Modified by sivicman at 5:02 PM 1/8/2005
Old 01-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as I know, Toms shop was cleaned out around the Xmas holiday by some Thieves...its quite sad actually From what I hear, everything they need to function was stolen(and some high $ parts). My guess is that this was performed by a disgruntled customer.
From what my experiences are, Tom has been a VERY stand-up guy. Yes they are costly, but he kept my SRT4 alive for a full year at 400whp/400tq on a COMPLETELY STOCK drivetrain. Everyone makes mistakes, I just had to refund a downpipe because it didnt fit for ****(forgot to mention it didnt fit well in that car).
Old 01-02-2005, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Payn Technologies/Vortech install (Tinker219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tinker219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as I know, Toms shop was cleaned out around the Xmas holiday by some Thieves...its quite sad actually From what I hear, everything they need to function was stolen(and some high $ parts). My guess is that this was performed by a disgruntled customer.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe an inside job?
Old 01-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Payn Technologies/Vortech install (Tinker219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tinker219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as I know, Toms shop was cleaned out around the Xmas holiday by some Thieves...its quite sad actually From what I hear, everything they need to function was stolen(and some high $ parts). My guess is that this was performed by a disgruntled customer.
From what my experiences are, Tom has been a VERY stand-up guy. Yes they are costly, but he kept my SRT4 alive for a full year at 400whp/400tq on a COMPLETELY STOCK drivetrain. Everyone makes mistakes, I just had to refund a downpipe because it didnt fit for ****(forgot to mention it didnt fit well in that car). </TD></TR></TABLE>
I feel for Payn, I kind of know the feeling. My family watched our office building burn down on Christmas eve and into Christmas day morning..............we lost about everything
Old 01-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Payn Technologies/Vortech install (Lucky925l)

I dealt with them once and they wanted to charge me $75 for base map. I dont live cloase to him but I dont like people who are greedy. There is price for everything but raping people is another story.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Payn Technologies/Vortech install (Turbocivic94)

I hope you dont plan on using there 16lb pulley kit,its a P.O.S.
sure it pushes 16psi but they never told me or my customer the belt pops off every other run,and cannot handle high rpms,and to add to the fire the gator back belt they used is obselete.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What could be wrong with #3 cyl.?
Old 01-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?
Old 01-09-2005, 04:46 PM

Ringlands or rings?

Headgasket?

Burnt Valves?

Lots of things. Try a leakdown test.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:42 PM

sivicman do u have a red si?? if so i might have seen your car in the shop....

on the inside job note i dont think it is because the new word on the street is that they dont have enough insurance coverage to cover all of the product and tools that were stolen.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lsvtec94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lsvtec94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sivicman do u have a red si?? if so i might have seen your car in the shop....

on the inside job note i dont think it is because the new word on the street is that they dont have enough insurance coverage to cover all of the product and tools that were stolen. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Basically Devon Pierce lost $29k in CUSTOM NSX motor parts that cannot be replaced, nor a price tag placed on them(were bartered, ie no receipts).
All of the tools are being heavily depreciated, which screws them hard, and the hand-made tools of the engine builder of 30 years are gone, which CANNOT be replaced at any price.
To those who think it was an insurance fraud scheme need to get a life, as all of the people associated with Payn are deeply hurt by these asswipes who ripped them off. I spoke with Tom when I heard of the incident, and I havent heard someone so close to tears(I wouldve been sobbing if I were him ) on a phone in quite awhile.
Based on the items that were taken, it was either another shop, or someone who knew the basic operations of an Import shop because they ripped the heart right out of the shop, and as stated before, anyone involved positively.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tinker219)

This is news to me.. didnt they have an alarm system for the shop?? plus being in Troy, the police should have responded in minutes.. I hate thieves!!
Old 01-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pff...yeah right
Michigan police take forever to get anywhere.

This is the first bad thing Ive ever heard about payn....sorry it even had to happen
Old 01-15-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pff...yeah right
Michigan police take forever to get anywhere.

This is the first bad thing Ive ever heard about payn....sorry it even had to happen</TD></TR></TABLE>

same here.
I've had nothing but good experiences with Payn, but I haven't had anything intsalled by them.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tinker219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tinker219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Basically Devon Pierce lost $29k in CUSTOM NSX motor parts that cannot be replaced, nor a price tag placed on them(were bartered, ie no receipts).
All of the tools are being heavily depreciated, which screws them hard, and the hand-made tools of the engine builder of 30 years are gone, which CANNOT be replaced at any price.
To those who think it was an insurance fraud scheme need to get a life, as all of the people associated with Payn are deeply hurt by these asswipes who ripped them off. I spoke with Tom when I heard of the incident, and I havent heard someone so close to tears(I wouldve been sobbing if I were him ) on a phone in quite awhile.
Based on the items that were taken, it was either another shop, or someone who knew the basic operations of an Import shop because they ripped the heart right out of the shop, and as stated before, anyone involved positively.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hadnt heard this... when did this happen?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Payn Technologies/Vortech install (IAmTheRealKevron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IAmTheRealKevron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is why I only work on my car i dont trust others work. sorry if its mean but i dont want **** like that to happen. If it breaks i want it on me not someone else</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: Payn Technologies/Vortech install