Notices

Parts list... did i forget anything? feel free to flame

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts list... did i forget anything? feel free to flame

i was thinking about doing a junkyard turbo setup on my stock engine.. (b18b) then i figured i would get sick of it real quick.. plus none of the parts would work for a real build when i do it.. so i'm just going to skip the junkyard setup and just do it right the first time... my goal is 400-500whp.. with headroom for the future

Here is what i have so far.. the prices arent exact.. also.. if you know of a place that has a majority of the parts at a good price.. i don't really want to order from all over the place.. but i will if i have to...

i know the neukin DP is 300 not $200
i was thinking about getting the rods and pistons from earl's place when i have them do the sleves and assemble the engine.. how are there prices? how much extra for assembly? does it include balance?

i didn't have enough room to list guages on that cheesy excel templet

i've been doing alot of reading about uberdata and have decided that is the way to go.. however i'm not 100% confident tuning 6g's worth of engine my first time.. does anyone know of a place in MN that has a good rep? there is a place in town here but i don't have too much faith in their abilities

another question.. that Johnny racecar intercooler... is it going to be big enough? or should i fork out the extra for the precision unit? how are they with leaks? quality? am i going to need to upgrade my fuel rail and line?

feel free to point out mistakes.. flame or whatever.. any input will be appreciated!

Old 02-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good.

Just remember,

K.I.S.S.

Now only if I could learn to do that.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Parts list... did i forget anything? feel free to flame (Zakar)

build the dodge stupid! there is a reason why it's always got a busted axle...
Old 02-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-03-2005, 06:19 AM
john d

buy this from me

Old 02-03-2005, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I give you a for the nice list.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That JRC stuff is crap.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey hey...easy with the wording there. It is one of the best bang for your buck intercoolers out there!!! I have one and am very very happy with it along with many others. For this project though I'd say don't use that. With a block like yours you goign to want a nice intercooler that'll support some big numbers, so suite accordingly. Also make sure you get it tunned. I would say try it if you're looking for under 300whp, but your not so def get that puppy tunned. It may be hard to find a tuner that'll do Uberdata as well (hondata usually preferred)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zakar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my goal is 400-500whp.... am i going to need to upgrade my fuel rail and line?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

at 400whp you startto need better ignition, fuel rail, fpr and at some point bigger fuel lines. You're looking a $7,000-$8,000 on the safe side to complete this project.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (adseguy)

That set up looks awesome!

Just as a side note...

Make sure you have some extra money, you will need it! From my experience, no matter how complete your list is, there are always unexpected expenses during a turbo build. Just make sure you have some backup cash and you should be good to go

Old 02-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

heads up- mounts and a clutch are going to be more than $500.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:57 AM

I didnt know the neukin manifold is backdoor compatible. I know my lovefab wasnt because of the way it sits. I thought only the full-race manifold was able to do that... Actually your stock fuel rail and lines can handle 500 hp you just need a new fuel pump, injectors, and fpr... you can use your stock fuel rail and lines to make upwards of 500.

EDIT: You might also need a resistor box for those 880s? Im not sure but I need one for me 1000ccs.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slow poke)

nice list
Old 02-03-2005, 11:34 AM

Looks like a good list. The JRC is a good intercooler depending on your plans.

I PM'd ya. I am an uberdata tuner in the Twin Cities area, but I doubt you will find anyone in duluth.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, expect to spend ALOT more than that on your engine build. . .

Bearings
Headstuds
All Gaskets/Seals
Including HG
Water Pump
Oil Pump
Timing Belt
Timing belt tensioner
Hondabond
Misc. Nuts and Bolts
Probally something else. . .
Old 02-03-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Parts list... did i forget anything? feel free to flame (m R g S r)

You're running a big mamma jamma SC61 but going to choke it with a small JRC intercooler? PTE, 400 bucks, good upgrade.

Don't forget studs, vacuum lines, oil lines, RTV, and all the misc **** mRgSr listed, it adds up QUICK.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the info folks! what type of injector was one of the questions i forgot to ask in the inital post.. so saturated is the way to go so i don't need to do any Rigging?

looks like i'm going with the Precision Unit... i was unsure if the JRC would be enough or not.. glad you guys are on the ball!

i was figuring 7-8k after all the little stuff is on... 1BAR what do you mean by backdoor compatible? is it just how you have the turbo faced?

what engine mounts are sutible for such a High hp setup? what clutch? 6puck Sprung? recomendations?

about the external coil.. is mine in the dist? how do i even use an external if the current one is internal? do i need a new dist?

do they make decent catch can kits?? if not it can't be that hard to make one..

Again.. Thanks fellas
zach
Old 02-03-2005, 01:49 PM
New User

[<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That set up looks awesome!

Just as a side note...

Make sure you have some extra money, you will need it! From my experience, no matter how complete your list is, there are always unexpected expenses during a turbo build. Just make sure you have some backup cash and you should be good to go

</TD></TR></TABLE>

THIS IS SO VERRY VERRRYYYY TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 02:21 PM

are u going to take the motor out and dissasemble it and then have them sleeve and install pistons then put it back together yourself and reinstall motor yourself? if you have a shop do it ~~400 to pull motor and put back in. 400 to dissasemble and put motor back together. and around 500 to install pistons and rods. thats just a rough estimate from prices i have heard.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:12 PM

bro whatever you do, don't **** with Jhon Haley motorsports. They charge too much and will **** your **** up. Matter of fact have a reputable company outside MN do it. We don't really have a reliable reputable shop out here that I heard of that consistently hooks up cars. check out http://www.kingmotorsports.com they do engine building.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:30 PM

i will be doing everything myself.. with the exception of the bottom end and possibly tuning.. i still have a few months to learn as much as i can about uber..

thanks for the heads up on jhon haley motorsp Drnkn chicken.. from the horror stories i've read on here i won't take my car to any shop unless they have a good rep, or i can look at the work they did on another car..

The way i see it.. if i need anything done to my car i will just learn how to do it.. if i **** something up its still probably cheaper then paying someone else to do it anywaz.. Honda-tech is such a great resource.. you can learn anything about a honda here..

i'm not new to engine rebuilding/swaps.. i'm just more new to imports then anything.. i've been workin on american cars since i was young.. i still get crap from my muscle car friends about my honda.. thats half the reason i'm doing this build.. this thing outta shut most of them up... eventually it will be a strip only car and shoot for around 700hp.. i'm thinking about going with better rods then eagles so i don't have to teardown when i want more power

i need to find a wrecked crotch rocket for cheap to get the motor out of... my next project is going to be a GoGoGolfkart.. i need to find an axle that will take the output of an engine with that much power.. probably a small car or something.. i'm thinking about using the Tiny T3 off of my mopar for a little extra kick.. i wanna see guys faces at the strip when i beat there *** with my golfkart! what are the smallest slicks they make?
Old 02-04-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Parts list... did i forget anything? feel free to flame (donkiman)

How much can that JRC 8inch handle anyway? Really..you guys think it can handle 350whp at most?
Old 02-04-2005, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Parts list... did i forget anything? feel free to flame (elinetics)

for 34 bucks more get this intercooler, its so much better than the jrc
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1101261&page=1
Old 02-04-2005, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Parts list... did i forget anything? feel free to flame (LazyNip)

Here's a few things I can think of that aren't on your list, unless you combined it with one of those you already listed:

-colder plugs and maybe wires
-ignition? unless you plan on running stock (I'm gonna get a MSD SCI and a HVC in the future)
-WG dumptube (unless you included the cost with your DP)
-catch can setup (this is what I'm trying to sort out right now)
-aftermarket crossmember maybe? (I dunno what kinda car you have so I dont know what kind of clearance issues you'll have)

I guess these others would be considered optional:

-aluminum radiator maybe?
-upgraded axles?
-extended wheel studs? (I think if you plan on running slicks at the track you need extended studs)
Old 02-04-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Parts list... did i forget anything? feel free to flame (BlueShadow)

You're going to need a chipped ECU or the parts to chip your own, I didnt see that on your list but you might be having your tuner do that.

ECU Chipping Parts
Old 02-05-2005, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Parts list... did i forget anything? feel free to flame (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It does not really have to do with the manifold for the BD srtup; only the intercooler and placement of turbo. Also the JRC intercooler will sit more than 6" to the left if you wanted to do a backdoor setup. It wont work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it involves how the manifold sits the turbo... If you were to look at my setup right now EVEN IF I clocked the turbo to face the intercooler it wouldnt work. I have my compressor housing on passenger side and exhaust on driver side. Also my turbo sits at a angle in order to fit the full 3inch a/c compatible downpipe (which is what our boy Zakar is running). So saying it doesnt depend on the manifold is wrong. What you should do is ask neukin if it is possible to run that setup with this manifold and go from there. Less headaches!
Old 02-05-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Parts list... did i forget anything? feel free to flame (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zakar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the info folks! what type of injector was one of the questions i forgot to ask in the inital post.. so saturated is the way to go so i don't need to do any Rigging?

looks like i'm going with the Precision Unit... i was unsure if the JRC would be enough or not.. glad you guys are on the ball!

i was figuring 7-8k after all the little stuff is on... 1BAR what do you mean by backdoor compatible? is it just how you have the turbo faced?

what engine mounts are sutible for such a High hp setup? what clutch? 6puck Sprung? recomendations?

about the external coil.. is mine in the dist? how do i even use an external if the current one is internal? do i need a new dist?

do they make decent catch can kits?? if not it can't be that hard to make one..

Again.. Thanks fellas
zach</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya you can use saturated im supposing you are getting like RC injectors? I have precision because Ive heard nothing but good things, and the resistor box install wasnt hard at all.

The engine mounts I have on my car are Avid Racing I found them for cheap and bought them and they are great! Only downside is I think when I got them I bought the stiff ones because the whole chassis shakes, but they do help a lot with motor torque.

The clutch just depends many people say different things... I went with a clutchmasters stage 4 clutch. It is a pain in the *** to get used to and it sucks driving it on the street, but it grabs awesome.

The ignition I think you would get is the MSD 6al with blaster coil... the honda ignition can handle 400hp but I wouldnt go over.