Notices

Oversize oil filters w/turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oversize oil filters w/turbo

I just installed a K&N HP-1005, which has a slightly larger diameter then the recommended HP-1004, but fits perfectly. When I did the oil change, I also fixed an oil leak at the oil pressure sensor, and replaced a fitting. After doing this I've noticed that the valves seem noisier after a cold (below freezing) start. The oil pressure light stays on for a second, then turns off a little more slowly. My car isn't running very well right now anyway because I have a drilled fpr and hp 255 walbro, but the car seems more sluggish. No oil is leaking. Do you think this is a coincidence? Is this a bad idea to continue to use this filter? Some people are using a larger diameter Mobil 1 filter, but I've never heard any kind of expert opinion on the matter. If using an oversize K&N, which is supposedly a high flowing filter to begin with, would this cause too much of an oil pressure drop and affect anything in a negative way?
Old 02-16-2003, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Oversize oil filters w/turbo (JPowers)

Wow, that's a fantastic question!
Old 02-16-2003, 03:23 PM

Some oil filters have a built in anti-drainback valve, and some don't. What this valve does is keeps the oil filter full of oil, even after the engine is turned off. This way when you start the car back up the oil filter doesn't have to be re-filled with oil before getting through to the rest of the internals. I'm not sure if this is the problem, but it's at least an outside chance. What oil filters were you using before the K&N? I know most of the Honda filters you buy have this valve built in.

Just an idea,

Ryan P.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:15 PM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oversize oil filters w/turbo (SJP0tato)

I had the same thing happen when i used the K&n filter. I blew a head gasket on my car so when got it all back together and running i noticed that i lost 6psi of oil pressure at cruising speed and my light would flicker. i thought something else happened along with the headgasket for longest time. then i did an oil change and used a mobil one filter and boom the pressure came back. i never thought about the filter cause i did the headgasket at the same time but it was the filter after all.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oversize oil filters w/turbo (MotorMatrix.com)

what is the part number for the mobile one oil filter you guys are useing????is all oil filters the same size?example a b series oil filter and a d series oil filter????
Old 02-16-2003, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Oversize oil filters w/turbo (TEAM JSJ)

what is the part number for the mobile one oil filter you guys are useing????is all oil filters the same size?example a b series oil filter and a d series oil filter????
I think that 90% of the Hondas on the road use the same size filter. Some of the newer cars use smaller filters (RSX). Here is a good website to read up on filters and the corresponding part numbers...

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

SJP0tato, this does have an anti-drainback valve. It's a Champion Labs filter, who also make Mobil 1, Bosch Premium, STP, etc. There are, however differences between the bypass valve designs these filters use.

MotorMatrix, were you using the oversize filter, or just the HP-1004? I was using the Bosch Premium filter until they changed the design of their bypass (Look inside the filter, and if you see an actual spring it's a better design which is less of an on/off bypass design that they use now. It opens slowly, depending on the situation. The first time I saw the spring missing from the Bosch I thought it was a manufacturing error. The oversize K&N and Mobil 1 models use the same spring bypass, but it's near the base so cleaner oil is bypassed.) Because I was already at Autozone, I bought the overpriced Mobil 1 for something like $13! My next filter was the HP-1004 K&N. I didn't have a problem with this filter, but I don't have an oil pressure gauge. On other forums I see people complaining that the Mobil 1 can become too restrictive. Because of its ability to trap finer particles, over time this can cause the filter to operate in bypass mode more often which kind of defeats the purpose of having a filter capable of trapping such fine particles. That's why I've switched to the K&N. If the K&N flows too much, then maybe the best compromise would be to use an oversize Mobil 1 if I can find one less than $10. $13 just seems a little ridiculous, even for someone who spends $7/quart on Redline oil. Are you using the oversize Mobil 1 for your engine, or just the standard size?

Old 02-16-2003, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on a side note..if ya wanted to run a huge filter , get one of those filter rellocation kits and u can use a ford filter..its massive.
on my friends cressida we are using two ford filters
Old 02-17-2003, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oversize oil filters w/turbo (rOby)

OEM Honda filter everytime, if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Oversize oil filters w/turbo (turbosol)

OEM Honda filter everytime, if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.
OEM used to be good. Now they're made by Fram. I agree that Fram or just about any filter may be fine for a stock Honda which you religiously change the oil on every 3000 miles, but I like to buy quality. Maybe it's overkill, but it makes me feel better. You might want to check out this link, it may change your mind about OEM honda filters.

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

I don't believe any of Honda's filters are made in the US anymore. From what I've read, they're all Canadian Fram!