Notices

Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!!

Old 08-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!!

haha ... it's not too serious ...

Background:
-B18C resleeved (84.5)
-Cometic headgasket

I got my car rebuilt recently and I've been driving around town to rack up the miles. Yesterday, I drove down to Miami (Taking Federal Highway). I was driving for a good 45 minutes and I then preceeded to go on I95 for literally 3 exits. I noticed that the TEMP gauge was basically half way. Mind you that it was probably 95 degrees and "stop'n'go" traffic. I immediately shut off the engine and opened the hood. My overflow tank was now on the MIN mark ... from the MAX mark.

I started the car again and everythng was fine. The TEMP gauge was now 1/4 way. Perfect.

The drive home from Miami to Boca Raton was also a success. Had no overheating problems and lost NO coolant in the overflow tank.

I got home and filled the overflow tank to the MAX point.

Today, I drove the car for a good 45 minutes giving it some load. Had no problems with overheating and losing coolant in the overflow tank.

Any ideas of the problem? Do Golden Eagle sleeves SOMETIMES run REAL hot?

Has any else have this problem?

Adam

Old 08-15-2002, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (BlackGSR)

As a general rule, at least with my v8 experiences, fresh rebuilds run warmer. Maybe its just redneck alchemy. Also more than likely since your overflow tank took a considerable hit of coolant, your block probably wansnt full of coolant, hence the reason it sucked up someout of the overflow tank.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (FritzInTN)

My temp gauge is always a little below the half way mark. Not sure how it'll be with my new radiator tho.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (Etylorcen)

some cars, like mine, sit at halfway all the time. Some sit at 1/4. don't go by the stock guage, get a real water temp guage. Also, the reason why you had to put more coolant in is because its a fresh rebuild, and it wasn't completely filled yet.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (GraphiteAccord)

Yeah I bet you just had air in the system
Old 08-15-2002, 04:03 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (dustin)

In either case ... it is running REAL strong.

I bet it wasn't full too.

I'm still going to keep an eye on my coolant and oil levels.

Adam
Old 08-15-2002, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With all respect to GE and Vince, partly the reason I went with the Darton sleeves over the GE is because I thought the GE sleeves would get hot with daily driving. You see the iron sleeves of the GE are very thick like .75 inches and made of iron compared to the stock .25 inch aluminum. The water does not dissipate the heat from the GE sleeves as fast as aluminum stock. The thickness of the cylinder makes it even worse. Im not knocking Vince or GE because I think their products rock but I would only use them for the track and not for the street.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i think dustins right probaly just some bubbles....
Old 08-15-2002, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (KoRE)

how could your engine suck in coolant from the overflow tank. the hose for the overflow tank is on top and does not touch the bottom and the radiator cap is a one-way cap, liquid could only flow out but not in becuause of the spring.
could someone verify this.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:12 PM
New User

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (SO3Burner)

With all respect to GE and Vince, partly the reason I went with the Darton sleeves over the GE is because I thought the GE sleeves would get hot with daily driving. You see the iron sleeves of the GE are very thick like .75 inches and made of iron compared to the stock .25 inch aluminum. The water does not dissipate the heat from the GE sleeves as fast as aluminum stock. The thickness of the cylinder makes it even worse. Im not knocking Vince or GE because I think their products rock but I would only use them for the track and not for the street.
if thats your philosphy, what about the fact that the Darton is a closed deck design? It's also ductile iron....
Old 08-15-2002, 08:59 PM
What would Chente do?

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (rice4life)

the overflow cap has a "t" with a hose leading straight down into the o/f tank.

on engine cooldown, coolant contracts and the vacuum from this pulls out the coolant. next time you go for a drive check your coolant level before you head out. Prolly be at low mark. After driving a while, pullover and check it. Prolly at high mark. Now let it cool and check out where its at...
Old 08-16-2002, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (VaporTrail)

Vaportrail,

Let me explain. The 'closed deck' design means that the top of the cylinder meets the outer portion of the block, but actually the closed deck design still has holes for the water to pass.

And about the material you are correct that Darton sleeves are made of iron like the GE, but they are so thin that they are actually fit into and are pressed into the lower portion of the stock aluminum sleeve. Meaning they are not that much thicker, if any, than the stock original sleeve.

[Modified by SO3Burner, 9:36 AM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-16-2002, 05:35 AM

But I thought the whole point here was to get some beefy sleeves... not thin ones.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (Louie)

Yeah, I had a temp spike on my fresh rebuild... about 1000 miles into the break in period. Although I am not using GE's... it was something I thought might make you feel more at ease. I noticed a number of small 'bugs' that worked themselves out in the first 4K miles of the break in period.

X2
Old 08-16-2002, 05:50 AM

uhh iron conducts heat better than aluminum, so it will transfer more heat to the coolant. simple solution get a larger core radiator. you don't go buy thinner sleeves.

[Modified by CovertFI, 9:26 AM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-16-2002, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (CovertFI)

uhh iron conducts heat better alumin, so it will transfer more heat to the coolent. simple solution get a larger core rad. you dont go buy thiner sleves.

Doesn't iron also retain more heat than aluminum ? (Leading to even heat distribution)
Old 08-16-2002, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (BlackGSR)

keep the info and thoughts coming. This is a good topic for all turbo people to read on. How much are the darton sleeves? how much for the installation?
Old 08-16-2002, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (Louie)

the overflow cap has a "t" with a hose leading straight down into the o/f tank.

on engine cooldown, coolant contracts and the vacuum from this pulls out the coolant. next time you go for a drive check your coolant level before you head out. Prolly be at low mark. After driving a while, pullover and check it. Prolly at high mark. Now let it cool and check out where its at...
ahh, my overflow cap doesnt have a hose that go all the way down to the tank. i always see fluid go in but never out. guess i have to make a hose for it.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:40 AM
New User

I'm aware. But with the closed deck design up top, in the combustion area, it's my opinion with heat soak and less fluid surrounding the combustion area, with prolonged run time it would be more succeptable to detonation due to heat. This does not mean it will ping all the time, just more prone to it. One man's opinion...
Old 08-16-2002, 09:18 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (VaporTrail)

Al is a better conductor of heat than iron.

Fe 0.804
Al 2.37

Units are J/s*cm*K taken from http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genche.../defects3.html

Stock sleeves are steel (iron?) encased in an outer Aluminum sleeve, which is surrounded by water. I am guessing the Al outer sleeves help evenly distribute the heat away from the inner lining and transfer it to the water.

Regardless, it sounds like a good case for boring out your aftermarket sleeves to 84, 85, 86mm!
Old 08-16-2002, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (falconGSR)

so why are the pots that we cook with made out of iron? al will dissapate heat better but does not conduct heat better
Old 08-16-2002, 10:02 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

so why are the pots that we cook with made out of iron? al will dissapate heat better but does not conduct heat better
iron probly became popular due to its low cost, availability, and it didnt poison you like some metals. most modern cooking pans are copper, steel lined with aluminum, or anodized aluminum.

i disagree about iron conducting heat better, reagardless of what you're cooking with.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (falconGSR)

i found some ****

Aluminum will displace heat 1.5 to 3 times faster than the cast iron or steel calipers. http://www.hotrodheaven.com/tech/brakes/brakes1.htm
Although cast iron takes a while to heat, the advantage is that, once heated, it will remain very hot for a long period of time; as such, foods that require high heat are best cooked in cast iron. http://missvickie.com/resources/castiron.html
so unless i am mistaken iron conducts heat better but aluminum dissapates heat better.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:37 AM
New User

Aluminum can cause a chemical reaction with foods and is banned in all cooking instruments unless it does not come in contact with the food. It has been known to cause cancer. Only AL pans allowed are teflon coated or copper plated. Real cooking pans are made of steel. Many european countries don't even allow AL pans with coatings.

If you have an AL/teflon pan with the teflon flaking off, THROW IT AWAY!! It is not good for you.

Randy

EDIT: Note this hasn't been proven and mostly it has been spread by Jehovah's witnesses, but Aluminum is a pretty active metal and probably not good for you to ingest.

[Modified by RGAZ, 2:41 PM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-16-2002, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!! (RGAZ)

Aluminum will cause a chemcical reaction with foods and is banned in all cooking instruments unless it does not come in contact with the food. It has been known to cause cancer. Only AL pans allowed are teflon coated or copper plated. Real cooking pans are made of steel. Many european countries don't even allow AL pans with coatings.

If you have an AL/teflon pan with the teflon flaking off, THROW IT AWAY!! It is not good for you.

Randy
ok i was wrong about that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating problems with Golden Eagle sleeves!!!