Notices

Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problem

Today I was driving around and did a few pulls at first then just regular driving and after 10 minutes after doing those pulls I got a CEL. I went home let the car rest for a while then grabbed my laptop so I could datalog and see what CEL it was throwing. After starting the datalog I did one 3rd gear pull and right after I got a CEL 11, according to Hondata the engine was overheating even though the car temp gauge was at its normal setting. Immediately I pulled over and turned the car off for a while, on the way home the CEL came back even though I was driving like a grandma lol. The datalog shows that the car's ECT got to 219 degrees during the 3rd gear pull then went down to 212 degrees.

Here is what I know, I did a compression test on my B20Vtec Turbo on Friday and the compression was 192,195,198,195. Also there is no coolant on the overflow tank. I put a turbo blanket to help reduce the temperature. I will also be wrapping the down pipe to help the temperature as well, also thinking of getting hood risers even though I totally hate the way they look.

I will most likely do a coolant flush and try putting new coolant. What coolant do you guys recommend I use? I appreciate other suggestions that could help me out. I will be doing a long trip since I will be moving to another state and want to make sure I get this problem solved. Thanks guys.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problem

where you boosting at all while grandma driving? so the temp gauge didnt move at all? or maybe you didnt notice it?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:07 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

1)Put coolant in the overflow bottle. (OEM Honda coolant w/ some Redline water wetter or Toyota "Pink" OEM coolants are best to use) Don't use that Prestone/Supertech/PEAK nonsense.
2) Are you going by the OEM EGT sensor location, or is the Hondata reading coolant temp from somewhere else?
3) What radiator and fans are you using? (Ebay turbo is risky enough. Going with Ebay fans/radiator is really asking for it)
Old 04-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91Honda_gsr
where you boosting at all while grandma driving? so the temp gauge didnt move at all? or maybe you didnt notice it?

I was not in boost and the temp gauge didn’t move at all.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
1)Put coolant in the overflow bottle. (OEM Honda coolant w/ some Redline water wetter or Toyota "Pink" OEM coolants are best to use) Don't use that Prestone/Supertech/PEAK nonsense.
2) Are you going by the OEM EGT sensor location, or is the Hondata reading coolant temp from somewhere else?
3) What radiator and fans are you using? (Ebay turbo is risky enough. Going with Ebay fans/radiator is really asking for it)
I am going by oem egt sensor. I’m using a Garrett t3/t4 turbo with skunk2 radiator and go-autoworks 1550cfm slim fan. I just ordered water wetter, I hope it helps.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Todallybuilt

I am going by oem egt sensor. I’m using a Garrett t3/t4 turbo with skunk2 radiator and go-autoworks 1550cfm slim fan. I just ordered water wetter, I hope it helps.
You're thinking ECT sensor. There is no OEM EGT /pyrometer sensor. Get water wetter, yes, WITH the coolant I suggested, or even Pentofrost E concentrate
Old 04-15-2018, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure the fan(s) is blowing towards the back of the car.
You can try overriding the fan temp in Hondata to turn the fan on sooner.

Otherwise I'd try the coolant + water wetter like said above.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update after draining the old coolant and putting water wetter with distilled water and now the highest temp that hondata has read is 203.8 and that was after doing a bunch of pulls. Now the outside temperature today was cooler than the day that the it overheated, I will try it again once it gets hot again and give you guys an update.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Todallybuilt
update after draining the old coolant and putting water wetter with distilled water and now the highest temp that hondata has read is 203.8 and that was after doing a bunch of pulls. Now the outside temperature today was cooler than the day that the it overheated, I will try it again once it gets hot again and give you guys an update.
It'll get much lower once you use some Toyota Pink or OEM Honda coolant.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
It'll get much lower once you use some Toyota Pink or OEM Honda coolant.
Awesome, good to know. Thanks for the advice Shodan and everyone else.