Notices

overheating after turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating after turbo install

i installed a turbo kit on my ls motor in my eg hatch. after driving for awhile...getting boost or just regular driving, my coolant
starts to bubble up and come out of the resevior tank. my temp guage doesn't go up or anything, but the coolant gets
real hot. this is when i'm stop at a light or something. when i'm moving, it doesn't happen.

any suggestions on why this is happening? could it perhaps be a bad thermostat?
Old 07-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating after turbo install (93hb)

99.9999999999% positive its a leaky headgasket.......
Old 07-12-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Re: overheating after turbo install (AztecEJ)

Do you have an itercooler? a big intercooler blocking air to you radiator could do it, that is what is happening to my prelude and I dont even have the turbo on yet. I tried some water wetter and it went away.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did that when I was sold an incorrect radiator cap.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating after turbo install (AztecEJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AztecEJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">99.9999999999% positive its a leaky headgasket.......</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup. What he said.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:23 PM

Default Re: overheating after turbo install (TurboIntegra)

just did a compression test and the number were

175 175 175 180

don't think its the head gasket. i think it has something to do with the fan. the fan
wasn't coming on like it used to. it used to come on like every minute or so, now
it doesn't come on at all. the water can start boiling up and the fan still wouldn't come on.

i change the thermostat and that didn't help. then i checked the fan fuses and upluged the fan harness and pluged it back in. i went for a drive and came back home. i checked the coolant again, and it wasn't bubbling up or anything anymore and the fan was coming on like it used to. now, the fan isn't coming on like it used
to again, don't know why. i jumped the fan by running it to the battery and it comes on. it doesn't seem as if the fan is working right.

yes, i do have a big intercooler and its blocking most of the radiator. my radiator
looks real old and looks like **** too. on the radiator cap, the rubber deal, small
circle one, isn't there. don't know where that went. could that cause this also?

i don't think i have a leaky head gasket , i think its something to do with the fan
not clicking on like it should.

don't know if its cuase of the fmic...even at idle when i turned on the car, it would start to get hot and bubbling up. i can do that with my other car and that won't happen.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> on the radiator cap, the rubber deal, small
circle one, isn't there. don't know where that went. could that cause this also?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, that is basically what caused mine to have this problem exact same problem. I bought a Stant radiator cap from autozone and the rubber middle section did not protrude down into the radiator as far as the oem one and did cover the port that goes to the overflow. What that meant is instead of the cooling system building up to the required pressure like its supposed to it just boiled out into the overflow once it started to get near temp. If yours does not have the rubber middle section on the spring I guarantee thats the problem as that is what regulates the cooling systems pressure and what goes into the overflow. Go buy a Honda OEM radiator cap! If you buy the stant one and it still does it I told ya so!
Old 07-13-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Re: overheating after turbo install (omahaturbocivic)

what about the fan not clicking on?

i've been using that radiator cap though for a long time and i never had this problem. i even had that radiator cap like that when i was supercharged.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:59 AM
VTcivic

Id rig up a switch to make it so the fan is always on. or maybe get a aftermarket fan that is bigger-along with a new radiator.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:05 AM

Definetly check to see if you're sensor for the cooling fan is bad or not. Mine was and my integra did the same thing. Of course once youre driving the car cools down cause of the moving air. But at idle the fan should turn on and it sounds like it isnt. Check it.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about the fan not clicking on?

i've been using that radiator cap though for a long time and i never had this problem. i even had that radiator cap like that when i was supercharged.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the cap is not pressurising the cooling system it may not be getting hot enough to even kick the fans on. If this is the case the car is not overheating, its just steaming all the coolant into the overlflow once it starts to get near operating temp. In my case the car would start spitting and spraying out the overflow after a short drive but it was not too hot. If I drove around long enought it would overheat only because I had lost too much water and there were air pockets now.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:22 AM

Borrow a friends cap that you know works. Its the easiest fix to try.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:33 PM

okay, we had a messed up eg radiator in our garage. it had a good radiator cap
on it so i took it off and put it on my car. it is damn hot here in texas right now during the day. i let the car idle for about 15 minutes or so and then it started boiling in the resevior tank. i looked in there and could see little bubbles start to come up.

then, the fan kicked on and the water started going into the radiator instead of coming out the resevior tank. the fan turned off and then a little while later, it turned on again.

what does the radiator cap do actually?
another thing, the radiator cap that i had on my radiator had a 0.9 on it and the radiator cap i got off the other radiator had a 1.1 on it. they are both from eg dx motors though. what do the numbers mean and does it matter that i'm using the 1.1 cap now?

i also noticed that on a coolant line, that it didn't have any clamps on the end, therefor, there was some coolant coming out of the line, would this cause anything?
Old 07-13-2003, 06:27 PM

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system7.htm read and be amazed...j/k i found this site as a good source of info..
Old 07-14-2003, 10:18 AM

Default Re: overheating after turbo install (rygan21)

yeah...i found that site too after i made the above post. what about the caps though, what do the numbers mean?
Old 07-14-2003, 11:51 AM

If you hear a high pitched sound it could be your water pump.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:48 PM

nah...after i put the new radiator cap on , all the problems stopped.