Notices

Overheating with AC on, intermittently?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating with AC on, intermittently?

I've been battling a slight overheating issue ever since temps got around 95+ here, if i drive withOUT the AC on, i can make it all the way home with out over heating issues. (25mile commute, 80mph, 4.3 rpm, highway driving) Also i can pretty much drive it anywhere and beat on it, will not over-heat.

when i drive with the AC ON, about 15-20 mins into the highway the temp climbs above half-way and i'll need to shut off AC and run the heat on for a few... then it'll go back to normal.

At first i figured my dual core/ half rad w/10" pusher was getting heat soaked, so i swapped it out with an aluminum rad, and a 12" pusher and filled with new coolant. Everything was fine for the past 2 days driving with the AC on and rock steady temps.

Today (86-87, low humidity), that bastard temp needle starts to climb again after my highway commute this time about 25-30 mins into the drive, and only climbed when i came to stop and go traffic.

With symptoms like this, is it possible my Tstat is on its way out? Only opening partially? Or do i have bubbles still in the system? I may have a HG issue b/c i got very tiny drops of oil in the coolant resovior but no milkshake action anywhere. No overflow either...

Another weird thing that happend is that when i went to put the heat on to lower the temp, all i got coming out was COLD air... then slowly it started getting warm.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Overheating with AC on, intermittently? (KiddEng)

I pretty much have the same problem -> https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1728564

Also an older post about it here -> https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1708787
Old 08-21-2006, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Overheating with AC on, intermittently? (jfoster)

its wierd though, just the other day i ran it flawlessly for over 30mins with the AC on rock solid temps.

im going to bleed the system again tomorrow, let it run for a good half hour with the heat on max.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating with AC on, intermittently? (KiddEng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KiddEng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With symptoms like this, is it possible my Tstat is on its way out? Only opening partially? Or do i have bubbles still in the system? I may have a HG issue b/c i got very tiny drops of oil in the coolant resovior but no milkshake action anywhere. No overflow either...

Another weird thing that happend is that when i went to put the heat on to lower the temp, all i got coming out was COLD air... then slowly it started getting warm. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That last part suggests the T-stat died. Start with replacing that. If that doesn't, then most likely your head lifted a bit under boost, allowing oil and coolant to mix, hence the tad bit of oil in the overflow. If the T-stat don't work, get a new HG, some ARP headstuds, and put it all together. Along with some copper spray, it is the only way I solved my issues.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Overheating with AC on, intermittently? (MoonScryer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MoonScryer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That last part suggests the T-stat died. Start with replacing that. If that doesn't, then most likely your head lifted a bit under boost, allowing oil and coolant to mix, hence the tad bit of oil in the overflow. If the T-stat don't work, get a new HG, some ARP headstuds, and put it all together. Along with some copper spray, it is the only way I solved my issues. </TD></TR></TABLE>

when i put in my new radiator, and after running it for 10 mins, i blasted the heat and all i got was cold air coming out. i figured i had a big bubble preventing the coolant from circulating... squeezing the hoses a bit, i got it to finally warm up.

i'll try replacing the Tstat first, but i have a feeling that i have to go and retrq my headstuds again. I think the shop that did my valve seals/guides replacement didn't trq down my head good enough. (have ARPs in already) I never had oil in the coolant until the headwork