Overheated on highway yesterday... now leaking coolant from HG.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheated on highway yesterday... now leaking coolant from HG.

Setup is.. Stock gsr block, arp head studs tq'd to 65ft lbs, 0.073" cometic HG, stock CTR head.

I was driving on the highway.. It was hot out, and i was driving normally.. temp was around 225 deg.. too hot, but i was just cruising at around 65-70mph.

All of a sudden, it starts to climb... So i clutch in and coast the car.. it keeps going up, i get off on the first exit (neer) and pull over. My temps are now past 250 and pegged at the end of the gauge.. so i probably hit like 260 deg.

I pop the hood, coolant everywhere.. I let it cool down, and i was out about 3 litres of water.. fill it back up, and drive the rest of the way.. 200mile drive.

I removed the bumper and temps were around 190-195 the whole way there.

The next day at the show, i notice a puddle under my car.. Im like WTF!?! its coolant, and it appears that theres a small leak comming from the front left corner of the block/head... So i wipe it all clean, and it KEEPS comming back..

It looks like its eaither comming from the HG, or the sensor in the side of the head directly above the area.

My friend is going to bring his pressure tester over tonight, hopefully we can find this leak.

Drove car for 1hr at 225-230 deg.. then overheated at 260 deg.
Filled with 3 litres of coolant, and removed bumper.
Drove rest of way + home at 190-195deg.
Leak from front left of engine block/head.

Now... I also seeped oil OUT in a few spots (mainly behind the timing cover)..

Pulling the head and doing a HG isnt a big deal.. Just its the downtime, i need to drive!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Overheated on highway yesterday... now leaking coolant from HG. (HamiltonRex)

Yup.. definatley comming from the headgasket..

I can see it bubbling right off to the side of #4 exhaust port... Dammit, now ive gotta rip it apart again

Nothing but bad luck this weekend for me... Got nailed by the environmental officer for no charcoal canister.. ~$365 + This now.

O well.. gotta pay to play i guess.

This time i think i may just go with a OEM honda HG.