Notices

*IF* I Had A Blown HG - How Fast Does Coolant Get Burned?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:31 PM
I want a CRX tattoed on my butt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *IF* I Had A Blown HG - How Fast Does Coolant Get Burned?

Ive had a dam problem since I put this car back together with overheating and I dont know if it all along was my headgasket.

Long story short the system is eating about 1.5L of coolant every 20km's

I cant see any drips or drops anywhere with the motor running but once I see the gauge start climbing I pulled over and sure enough the overflow was bubbling like lava, let it cool down and I was about 1.5L short of coolant. Did the same thing on the way home

The car isnt smoking at all, smells like an open DP car probably would smell like

I did have a few rad, hoses, thermo problems this last little while though. First ym rad hit my wastegate and I had to patch that and the car overheated, then I blew a water line going to the head, then my thermo stuck on me so I pulled it out and left it out, water leaked form there for a little bit on the udnerside but I glopped some high temp gasket on there and stopped it

Im just curious how fast a blown HG creating no smoke would eat coolant. Im either loosing it somewhere or I have a blown HG

Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Re: *IF* I Had A Blown HG - How Fast Does Coolant Get Burned? (PINKS)

So I went out n/a a bit ago, car ran at mint temps for about 10 min, I was reving it pretty high booting around

Whatdya ya know, temps started climbing and withing 15 min was above 3/4's and I had to shut it down

So I pulled over, still water bubling in the overflow (Im not emptying the overflow when I keep filling up the rad) but I also noticed a hairline crack in my jbweld patchjob tht I threw down from when my wategate hit it

Im gonna patch that up tonight with a good glob, maybe even retorque my headstuds down?

Need some help

I cant see a headgasket eating coolant this fast
Old 08-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you blew a head gasket there would be oil in your coolant and coolant in the oil. Replace the radiator cap its not an expensive part so if it work great if not let me know
Old 08-30-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: (SFlCrx)

Rad cap was replaced less than 75 miles ago

Im running straight water so Id think I would see oil in the coolant, but Im pretty sure my oil is looking pretty milky, didnt check in the last 1000km though
Old 08-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PINKS)

milky oil = blown head gasket.

It might take more than a new gasket, you may have to mill the head and deck the block.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d357r0y)

when i blew my hg the oil was fine. dropped sleeve i could see that happening. The only real way to tell if you have a blown head gasket is to leakdown test it.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Re: (Hybrid_Coupe)

compression test - 160-160-160-160

I also found some coolant sizzling on a small hole in my jd weld patch on the rad

Whats ur opinion?
Old 08-31-2006, 02:25 PM

get a new rad and put a thrmostat in, the water could be going threw the motor so fast that it doesnt have time to cool it.... also make sure theres no air in the system

-joseph
Old 08-31-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Re: (SFlCrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SFlCrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you blew a head gasket there would be oil in your coolant and coolant in the oil. Replace the radiator cap its not an expensive part so if it work great if not let me know</TD></TR></TABLE>

when i popped my HG there was no cross contamination either
plus you know the rad cap is opening b/c the coolant is making it from the rad to the overflow

sounds to me like you popped a HG man
exact same problems with my motor when i had HG problems

everytime i went into boost the overflow would boil over
n/a cruises would also cause my overflow to boil
and the rad would be dry, if not dry then very low on coolant

idle the car with the rad cap off, do you see tiny bubbles?
boost the car hard for a couple of mines, shut it off WHILE IN BOOST, pull all 4 plugs asap, look inside the cyclinders, do they look wet?
when i did this to my car, i litterally saw a puddle of water sitting on the #1cyclinder
Old 08-31-2006, 03:52 PM

Default Re: (BlackCRX)

Headgasket for sure man, I thoght i was going nuts I checked everything. replaced my head gasket and was fine. All symtoms were the same. I could drive around for I think 45 minutes with temps FAIRLY stable but the second I started boosting the temps flew up pretty rapidly. what's it ony gonna take maybe 45 minutes to pull the head off & replace HG? unless you get everything done right that is
Old 08-31-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Re: (Brain3208)

45 min to swap a headgasket? I dont know what car youve got but Ive got to take my downpipe off, dumptube, turbo, then I have room to move the mani, then I still got all the hoses and tubes, wiring, headbolts, more water lines

expletive 45 min, thats a 4-5 hour job for me alone with handtools

Yes there are tiny little bubbles when I pop the rad cap off with teh motor running
Old 08-31-2006, 04:59 PM

I have a manually switch operated fan so rules that out

Im definetely losing coolant and losing it fast

To purge the system of air all I am doing is dumping about 3L of water into the rad while its running, slowly retopping it up as it sucks it into the system until it stops acepting water and stays full, to mee then theres no more water in there

Say I just let this car idle for like 30 min and keep my eye on the engine bay for external leaks, if the car overheats, that means it must be the headgasket right?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you burning the coolant? is the exhaust white and sweet smelling? if so then the HG is shot. you dont have to have cross contamination for the HG to be shot. Boosting might be causing the ehad to lift as well. what boost pressure are you running, who did your tune? what kinda timign are you running. what head studs are you using stock or arp, f stock are they new or reused. post your setup to help us diagnose the problem better
Old 09-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the exhaust isnt smoking and you are losing coolant, you either have a leak somewhere, its going into your oil system (HG/head lift), you have air in the system that you have not gotten rid of, or your cooling system (radiator/fan/airflow) is insufficient.

Air in the system will make you over heat very quickly. When you over heat pressure in the system is expelled through the rad cap and into the overflow which is why your overflow is bubbling.

You need to ensure you have no leaks, even if they are minor.

Check your oil again and see if its milky. If it is then you know it is either the HG or head lift. Leakdown test can confirm this.

If all of that stuff checks out ok, I would bleed the **** out of the system and make sure the climate control is on the COLD side.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont always have milky oil on a blown head gasket

Ive have thise problem before and it was hairline cracks in my sleeves. I could make a pass at the track and it would make (2) 20oz bottles of water disapear (vaporize/turn to a gas).
Old 09-01-2006, 08:17 AM

It's your damn headgasket or cracked sleeves. You don't lose coolant any other way unless you have a leak. It doesn't magically fly away, it gets burned, or it drips onto the ground.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It seems that u have a blown headgasket, what radiator are you running. If you don't have enough cooling capacity and it overheats due to that. You also said that your radiator had a crack, good possibility that your radiator is all gummed up.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:29 AM

Default Re: *IF* I Had A Blown HG - How Fast Does Coolant Get Burned? (raene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's your damn headgasket or cracked sleeves. You don't lose coolant any other way unless you have a leak. It doesn't magically fly away, it gets burned, or it drips onto the ground. </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 09-01-2006, 08:30 AM

Default Re: *IF* I Had A Blown HG - How Fast Does Coolant Get Burned? (RTW DC2R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the exhaust isnt smoking and you are losing coolant, you either have a leak somewhere, its going into your oil system (HG/head lift), you have air in the system that you have not gotten rid of, or your cooling system (radiator/fan/airflow) is insufficient.

Air in the system will make you over heat very quickly. When you over heat pressure in the system is expelled through the rad cap and into the overflow which is why your overflow is bubbling.

You need to ensure you have no leaks, even if they are minor.

Check your oil again and see if its milky. If it is then you know it is either the HG or head lift. Leakdown test can confirm this.

If all of that stuff checks out ok, I would bleed the **** out of the system and make sure the climate control is on the COLD side. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if hes got a cat it will hide the smoke
Old 09-01-2006, 12:22 PM

Default Re: *IF* I Had A Blown HG - How Fast Does Coolant Get Burned? (BlackCRX)

Im running 3" open downpipe, exhaust is crystal clear and smells just fine

I run water so i dont think id smell it anyways

I just let the car idle for 20 min and the temps stayed normal, will pop off the rad cap to see how much coolant ti ate in a minute

Most likely Im gonna leave it like this til the end of the season if thats all it does s eat some coolant
Old 09-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put some regular coolant in it and see if it smokes or smells
Old 09-01-2006, 02:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PINKS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im running 3" open downpipe, exhaust is crystal clear and smells just fine

I run water so i dont think id smell it anyways

I just let the car idle for 20 min and the temps stayed normal, will pop off the rad cap to see how much coolant ti ate in a minute

Most likely Im gonna leave it like this til the end of the season if thats all it does s eat some coolant</TD></TR></TABLE>

overheat to much or to many times will warp the head
Old 09-01-2006, 05:30 PM

My car acted like that when i had a hairline crack in the sleeve. It was pressurizing my coolant system, and blowing out the overflow, just like yours . Take your head off.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: *IF* I Had A Blown HG - How Fast Does Coolant Get Burned? (sc4dr)

The overflow bubbles even when driving around normal, I just did about 15 min of normal driving and the needle made it for 3/5ths up there and the overflow had some bubbling water or not

Im assuming because im losing coolant and that coolant is heating up, only quesiton for me is, wheres the coolant going...
Old 09-01-2006, 09:23 PM

Check your intake manifold gasket...if you are running a hondata or cheap knockoff plastic gasket, you may be charging the coolant passage with air. This can also cause the symptoms you are speaking of. You can either try to yamabond the gasket around the water jacket or replace with a stock gasket to hopefully get rid of the problem.

Quick Reply: *IF* I Had A Blown HG - How Fast Does Coolant Get Burned?