Notices

Are our Turbo'd hondas slower inthe Auto-Cross??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are our Turbo'd hondas slower inthe Auto-Cross??

everyone is saying for autocross that the turbo guys are slower. im aware of the disadvantges and all but are the turbo cars really that slower than the N/a's?
Old 10-05-2003, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are our Turbo'd hondas slower inthe Auto-Cross?? (JunIntegra)

It all depends on the setup...You could have a big turbo that has a lot of lag but good for the straightaways or you can have a small turbo that spools up quick for the turns.

Same for the N/A department, you could have a car with big cams and make bad throttle response for the turns or you can have a car with nice cams that make quick throttle response on the turns but not as good on the straightaways as the bigger lobed cams.

It's all dependent on the setup ...
Old 10-05-2003, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autocross? Never heard of it...
Old 10-05-2003, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are our Turbo'd hondas slower inthe Auto-Cross?? (CheezeFrog)

im not to educated in the Auto-x world but who are some of the fastest and what are theyre setups( hondas preferably)
Old 10-05-2003, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just run a small turbo. You dont need alot of power to get around. Invest into your suspension first if you havent already done so.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:29 AM

Here is another consideration that isn't strictly "speed dependant"

When you turbo your honda you put yourself in a class where almost "anything goes" I think it's Street Prepared?

so you can be up against porsches with highly tuned suspensions, etc. You would probably be more competitive stock, where driving abilities are the determining factors.

-PHiZ
Old 10-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

>>im not to educated in the Auto-x world but who are some of the fastest and what are theyre setups( hondas preferably)<<

OMG! You mean you actually use that big wheel on the dashboard?! what a concept...

Your question is entirely "class dependant". But, with it in mind that the vast majority of boosted Hondas are running in the Street Mod class, that's what I'll assume in this post.

I'm far from one of the fastest but... after being spanked at Nat's last year I came home and built a turbokit for my d16y8 (in a 6G hatch) around a T25. Couldn't be happier, and yes, my car is waayy faster. Power deliver is instantaneous above 2800 rpm's, the power band is very linear. So much for the mthical supercharger advantage. Having driven both, I wouldn't waste my time with a blower...

The rest of the story... Another guy on this list (i think his username is rodney) scored a 4th place trophy in SM this year. That is an incredible result considering the competition consisted of a grid full of 400 hp supercharged M3's. He's running a N.A. b18c5 though, and he's really happy with it. We've gone around a couple of times about which will ultimately be the best power maker for autox. Remember that anything more than about 225 whp on a FWD will probably just slow you down. IMO, it will still be a SOHC with a quick spooling turbo and a lot of torque. For one thing, it will have a really broad power band, and it will also weigh 75 - 100 lbs less than a B series. Also, my current under-the-hood investment is about $3500 less than anyone with a type R swap. A friend and competitor is currently running a B20, but after trying my car, he will be swapping in a turbo'd d16 for the next season. (my d is at 180 whp @ 7 psi, with a nice hunk of low end torque to go with it )

However, right now the b18c5 has the results, and there's only one way to argue with that... "drag racing is for fast cars. Autox is for fast drivers." Put rodney in a turbo'd d16 and the result probably would have been the same. So, the "hot setup" will almost certainly end up being whatever the hot drivers end up competing in.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I kept my jrsc for autoX purposes, even though it's still too powerful for a tight course.

The turbo guys in my class do really well on a course with fewer turns, but typically they're behind my car as far as times go.

Now, an N/A B20 was still the best setup for autoX, imho. Gobs of power to get you out of the turns, and enough stink up top to keep you going.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Are our Turbo'd hondas slower inthe Auto-Cross?? (fsp31)

turbo charging isn't the most ideal setup for an auto-x track.

the best being all-motor, then S/C. then turbo (all pwer levels being the same.

due to the linear power band and attributes of each.

like accelerating in turns, shifting down/up. the turbos spool time and exponetial power is the downfall. but if tuned right it won't be bad at all (small turbo), but still won't give best advantage.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are our Turbo'd hondas slower inthe Auto-Cross?? (VeeAreFour)

What are you basing this on? Experience?
Old 10-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are our Turbo'd hondas slower inthe Auto-Cross?? (fsp31)

Go fast..... then turn?

nah, seems to hard...

Rob
Old 10-05-2003, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JunIntegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everyone is saying for autocross that the turbo guys are slower. im aware of the disadvantges and all but are the turbo cars really that slower than the N/a's?</TD></TR></TABLE>

your should have better powerband with proper turbo setup than n/a (proper meaning small enough to give good responce in all rpm, especially lower rpm - where you can't have torque with n/a).. so.. yeah.. turbo car should be faster in parking lot racing
Old 10-05-2003, 02:06 PM
GSRswapandslow

i couldn't do it...i'd just SPIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN and then spinnnn some more...and some more...and a little more...and then some more. then you gotta shift and do it all over again!

straight will be just fine for me