Notices

OT: One step closer to my turbo eg!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 08:55 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: One step closer to my turbo eg!!!!!

just bought this motor for my eg, gonna swap out the pistons and the cams
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=221226
what do ya'll think? what tranny should I put in...is there anything else I'm going to need besides tranny, axles, ecu, and mounts?
hey, John(Vaportrail) you ready to work on this? my R was sold today buyer comes Friday to pick it up

[Modified by Pinhead, 12:56 AM 7/8/2002]
Old 07-07-2002, 09:06 PM
New User

Default Re: OT: One step closer to my turbo eg!!!!! (Pinhead)

oh also what LSD should I use? oem honda? quaffe?
Old 07-07-2002, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i was in your situation i would get the following:

1. Axles: Driveshaft shop stage 3
2. ECU: AEM plug and play
3. Tranny: LS tranny w/Quaiffe
4. Mounts: Stock mounts w/ 3M window weld filled (cheaper than the poly bushing kits)

I have done three hybirds in the past two years, and i have wished i would have done everything right the first time around. Trust me just get the better stuff first, you will want to upgrade later and end up saving in the long run.

Good luck with your project! If you have any questions building up your hybrid just Im me, i have done pretty much everything you can do to EG's. Hopefully i can save you some headaches. Turbo hatches are the ****, btw!

[Modified by boosted hybrid, 1:51 AM 7/8/2002]
Old 07-08-2002, 06:02 PM
New User

Default Re: OT: One step closer to my turbo eg!!!!! (boosted hybrid)

thanks for the reply.
1. I will most likely get the stage 3 axles
2. I will be tuning through Hondata not AEM plug and play
3. I would rather a gsr tranny, isn't that whole b00st w/LS tranny a myth??(I'm planning on between 400-500whp) oh, and why Quaffe rather than ITR LSD?
4. can you explain the mount thing a little more. btw Vaportrail will be building the motor for me GREAT GUY!!!!!

[Modified by Pinhead, 10:03 PM 7/8/2002]
Old 07-08-2002, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS tranny has the same 1 & 2nd gears as the gsr tranny, 3rd is slightly longer as well as 4th. The 5th, or overdrive is kickass for highway cruising. I suggested the LS tranny for highway cruising, i have the jdm itr tranny on my daily driven hybrid 4.78:1 final drive combined with that 5th gear is not nice at all. I am at 5000rpm crusing 70mph with my b16a...so it sucks, but i am not turbo with that so yeah for all motor!

For the motor mounts get 3M brand name window weld. You can get it at any local body supply place. Its for setting windows in obviously, but it is a polyurethane compound just like the inserts you buy. It comes in a tube, and you just take the stock mount, squeeze the window weld into the mount (basically pump it into the empty cavity of the motor mount. Let it dry for 2-3 days, preferably by a heated source (let sit out in the sun...does wonders for drying!). It runs 12.00 for a tube, which does all the motor mounts (including the two tranny mounts, so all 5 mounts). There is two different types to buy, just make sure the one that you buy has a high polyurethane content in it. I found this to work better than the poly bushings for the motor mounts, and cheaper.

As far as the itr limited slip goes, i have it in my jdm itr tranny. It helps a little bit for traction, but mainly helps with handling...there was a noticable improvement. I have the Quaife in my LS tranny, you can feel both handling improvement and traction improvement. It really isnt fair to compare the two limited slips in my case since one is one a all motor car, the other is one my boosted car (quaife on the turbo) so traction is going to be completely different with both. If you are shelling out for a OEM limited slip, just pay the little bit extra and get the quaife...much better IMO.

Good luck with the hondata! Vaportrail seems to favor the Hondata, so just go with what your tuner is comfortable with...makes things easy for both parties.

Anyway good luck with the EG...you'll love it i promise.