Notices

Opinions & suggestions needed for my homemade catchcan & crankcase vent.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Ldo
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions & suggestions needed for my homemade catchcan & crankcase vent.

I'm running a JRSC setup with ~9psi on a B18C motor. I'm trying to use 2 OEM B-series breather boxes for my catchcan/vent setup.

On the first breather box, I replaced the fittings including the PCV valve with some fittings from hardware store. This box will again be bolted back into the vent hole in the back of the block. Two 3/8 lines will be connected to these fittings and go into my "catchcan".

I grabbed another B-series breather box I have laying around, bought a vent/filter cap from Autozone ($10) and squeezed that into the neck of the black box. This will be my catchcan.

Since these breather boxes are already baffled and fit in OEM crankcase vent hole, I figure I won't have to mess with fittings, plugging up the hole & a catchcan setup that pretty much does the same thing. Depending on how much oil this thing will collect, I'll just have to dump it manually or will eventually weld on a bung to drain back to the block, if everything will work as intended.

As for the valve cover vent, I will just add a breather to it or T into the catchcan above. The only question I have is wether or not the setup above is sufficient.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Opinions & suggestions needed for my homemade catchcan & crankcase vent.

I think this is a clever idea I have a friend that is trying to use the OEM "black box" for a CCV system as well due to it being well baffled. My only concern is the you will have trouble with it filling up constantly and it will not be conveniently located for you to remove and dump it. Where will you locate the second box? Will the second box be upside down to serve as a drainback? If so you I think you should be all right and a cool different setup.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions & suggestions needed for my homemade catchcan & crankcase vent.

I'd love to see some pics of this when you finish it up and hear how it works out. I've been putting off a catch can for years on my d...and i have plenty of those old black boxes sitting around.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that should work. the first box should kinda dup as the vent/drainback since its connected to the block at the lowest point of the box. just mkae sure to mount the second box up higherr than the first. other than that the lines are kinda small but something is better than nothing.

btw, what hardware store sells earls push-lock fittings? im jealous
Old 08-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks neat good idea man, do you think the fittings will be large enough though ? im running 8 an fittings and lines and it seems a bit small i dnt know just dnt know if you will have enough postive pressure venting