Notices

one says...dont do it...the other says do it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one says...dont do it...the other says do it?

whats up guys. I have a delima. hondata says not to drive my car on the base maps for the hondata s200b but, everyone else says its ok...I will only be running around 5-8 psi untill its tunned so...do you think its ok to run with the base maps until I get it tunned. (no racing just daily driving?)
my setup:
B18C-R
drag3 kit
tial waste gate 35mm
greddy type s bov
p28
s200b
zeitronix wideband o2
msd cap, blaster coil
superconnductors
ngk iridiums

thats pretty much everything that would pertain to this question. thanks a lot guys.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:58 AM

Default Re: one says...dont do it...the other says do it? (Syner-G-Racing)

The most I would drive on the base map is directly to the tuner and don't go into boost. Trying to daily drive on a base map is asking for trouble.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:07 AM

Use the basemaps to test all the sensors on the car make sure it starts up, with no leaks and such. From their GO STRAIGHT to the tuner....
Old 08-31-2004, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: one says...dont do it...the other says do it? (xrunner86x)

you can drive it definately. just dont boost to be on the safe side.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:19 AM

ya they kinda have to tell u that because if you **** your **** up its going to be "their product" that caused it. My buddys shop had 1 guy last 1300miles before he blew his headgasket and 1 guy last 300. both were beating on it pretty hard. so my advice would be that its not worth it just to boost a few days earlier and if u dont have another car it really is worth it to find a ride places
Old 08-31-2004, 06:21 AM

Default Re: one says...dont do it...the other says do it? (donkiman)

screw the base maps... I only need one to idle my car to check for leaks... after that the car will be towed to my tunner.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:38 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: one says...dont do it...the other says do it? (fipracing_com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fipracing_com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use the basemaps to test all the sensors on the car make sure it starts up, with no leaks and such. From their GO STRAIGHT to the tuner.... </TD></TR></TABLE>
No Question Do it right
Old 08-31-2004, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: one says...dont do it...the other says do it? (turbosi03)

Drive on it, it's fine.

I drove on my basemap for almost a month before I went to the tuner. Just pull the spring out of your wastegate so you don't go into boost. It still is possible to hit boost without the wastegate spring but you really have to get on it which I would not suggest until you get it tuned.

I was lazy, didn't even pull spring, just kept an eye on the boost gauge, if it came near going into boost, I got off the throttle.

Bottom line, you'll be fine just don't go into boost.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: one says...dont do it...the other says do it? (mike1114)

I don't use hondata basemaps, but i made a basemap in uberdata that worked great on another guys car with the same setup, but on my car I was getting 14:1 AF in boost, EVERY CAR IS DIFFERENT
Old 08-31-2004, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: one says...dont do it...the other says do it? (toolowsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't use hondata basemaps, but i made a basemap in uberdata that worked great on another guys car with the same setup, but on my car I was getting 14:1 AF in boost, EVERY CAR IS DIFFERENT</TD></TR></TABLE>

That seems really lean, all the guys around here are running 12:1
Old 08-31-2004, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EVERY CAR IS DIFFERENT</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. I wouldnt risk it, personally....to be safe, dont install the system until youre ready to get it tuned. We could tell you, sure, run on the basemap youll be fine, but for all we know your basemap on your setup is running ridiculously lean and the motor has 100k of hard miles on it without much resilience left and this is the straw that makes it go boom. Better safe than sorry.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by donkiman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya they kinda have to tell u that because if you **** your **** up its going to be "their product" that caused it. My buddys shop had 1 guy last 1300miles before he blew his headgasket and 1 guy last 300. both were beating on it pretty hard. so my advice would be that its not worth it just to boost a few days earlier and if u dont have another car it really is worth it to find a ride places </TD></TR></TABLE>
thats what I was thinking...I just wanted to know cause Im installing everything myself and I wanted to make sure its good to go before I take it to the tuner...I dont want to go there with problems, that can get very spendy. besides mechanicaly I can do it my self no problem. Just need help on the tunning side a little (plus I dont have the equipment to burn the new maps.) thanks alot guys....looks like Ill be warming her up and checking everything over then on the trailer.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:43 AM

The base map will run fine. Use it check for leaks, and make sure it runs. I wouldn't beat on it too much. I have been on the Uberdata base map for about a month. No problems yet. I really just drive it to work and home, nothing special. I always watch the A/F, to make sure it doesn't run lean. Dont be scared of the basemap. Just take it for what it is...a BASE map.